Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annmarie1

Gray paint color for large two story foyer

6 years ago

Hello All. I'm looking for suggestions for a gray paint color for a two story foyer with lots of light. The foyer is adjacent to the kitchen which is painted in Benjamin Moores silver chain. Although I love silver chain, I was looking for a more neutral or warm shade of gray for the foyer. Any suggestions of a gray color that may fit the bill? I was looking at BM Revere Pewter but I think that's reads too beige since I'm transitioning from the silver chain kitchen. Thank you!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    6 years ago

What's the flooring? Is the foyer decorated with an area rug, table, etc.? Are the steps stained, painted, carpet?

Something from the foyer itself needs to inform the gray paint color choice first, how it relates to Silver Chain in the adjacent room is the secondary concern.

• 6 years ago

Hi Lori. Thanks so much for your response. The foyer staircase is stained a medium to dark wood and has a brown floral runner up the stairs. Although it's not visible in the photo, thebrunner also has a little bit of grey in there as well. The front door is black. I have a console and mirror but I will be replacing them with something more grey or mirrored. The flooring is sort of beige with a little grey in there as well. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    6 years ago

The flooring is sort of beige with a little grey in there as well. Any thoughts?

The color of the tile is where I'd start. First I'd try grays from the same hue family as the flooring.

• 6 years ago

Since there isn't much grey in the tile, I didn't think to do that but you're right. It will bring the color out. Looking at the tile, the grey in the foyer will have to be warmer or more neutral than silver chain. (I actually tried silver chain in the foyer and it looks lavender). I'm going to try BM cumulus cloud. Any neutral greys that are your go tos that wouldn't look too beige coming from silver chain? Also since the foyer is a two story one with lots of light, do you think I should go darker or lighter in huevthan silver chain? Thanks so much!

• PRO
    6 years ago

Would you say the tile is more peachy orange or buttery yellow? Or neither?

• 6 years ago

Probably more peachy than yellow but I think it looks even more do because right now my walls are a peachy Venetian plaster.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Cumulus Cloud is a good one. Colonnade Gray SW7641 from Sherwin Williams is another one to try.

• 6 years ago

I like mindful gray but it's a little too light. The foyer gets a lot of light. I did look up the shade darker than mindful gray (Dorian) and it looks quite nice. I'll have to put up a paint sample. I'm hoping it will flow well from the adjacent BM Silver Chains room.

• 6 years ago

I ended up using BM cape May Cobblestone. Although it is in the same paint strip as silver chain and gray husky, unlike those 2 colors cape May Cobblestone does not have a lavender hue in this room! it is quite neutral, not too cool nor warm. Thanks so much for your suggestions!

• 5 years ago
    Hi there! I’m in a similar situation, except that our 2 story foyer faces north and doesn’t get much light. The floors are a white oak stained walnut. The adjacent north facing family room will be painted BM stonington gray (to complement the south facing dining room, which will be painted BM Newburyport Blue). I was planning on painting the foyer and upstairs hallway BM Wickham Gray. But after reading several articles about northern exposure, I’m second guessing the Wicham Gray. Trying to keep all the light in, and not darken the entry. Any suggestions / thoughts for the 2 story foyer??