Software
Houzz Logo Print
ebie1

Oil-rubbed bronze closet rod, are there any concerns about the finish scratching with metal hangers?

13 years ago
Closet · More Info

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes. They scratch. If you want that finish, you may want to use plastic hangers.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, Most oil rubbed hardware will scratch over time. However the rods in this closet are made of schedule #40 black pipe and painted with Rust-Oleum Metallic oil rubbed bronze paint and seem to be holding up very well with metal hangers
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing.
  • 12 years ago
    Where can I get plastic sleeves for the ORB rods, and what are they actually called?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You have to purchase the rods that come with the plastic sleeves built in. They are from Hafele. You cannot add sleeves to existing rods. What you also should do with all rods when they are installed is rub them with wax paper, it leaves a slight wax residue that helps protect and makes the hangers slide nicely. Periodically do this and it will clean the rods and keep the hangers sliding great!
  • 12 years ago
    This is very interesting to me. I guess I think of my closet as more utilitarian than an expression of style. I never, ever gave the state of my closet rods a second thought as long as the hold up the clothes!

    I truly don't intend to criticize--and maybe it's just the glass of red wine speaking--but I just think it's fascinating! What level of detail! I guess Martha and I would not be simpatico.

    Good luck to you on the rods. It seems like the sleeve thingy is the way to go.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I design many closets where the main concern is what does it look like! Of course organization is a major consideration but a closet can be very personal and
    Very personalized to express your style and personality.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I totally agree with Kay. I have supplied custom solid brass rods that are plated in polished nickel or antique brass to match the decor of the boutique style dressing room the designer is trying to create.

    Getting dressed in an organized custom closet makes starting the day a little easier.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can get clear Closet Rod Covers at The Container Store
  • 12 years ago
    Thank u everyone for all your help. The wax paper really helped. It took off the scratches, and is preventing new ones. I'm not sure how often I should re-rub the rods or if I even need to. FYI: The container store by me doesn't carry rod covers and told me to try BEDBATHBEYOND.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I would re rub the rods as soon as you feel the hangers not sliding easily or you see scratches on the rod.
  • 11 years ago

    Is there any place I can find antique nickel or pewter clothes rods

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Most closet companies will carry Matte nickel of matte chrome.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    If you want a more custom finish, you can have the rods refinished to the look you want. Brushed Nickel are readily available but not with an antique finish. A powder coated finish is very durable and is available in various metal finishes

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I agree with Kay. We work with a plater that uses solid brass rods and can make almost any color. We sell a lot of polished nickel, antique brass and the hot color now is rose gold. It looks great, the downside is it does get expensive.

  • 10 years ago

    If you think about how many times we look in and touch our closets, why shouldn't those places be reflective of our tastes like the clothes that they store! It is worth more to me to update my closet with a $7 can of spray paint than to have an expensive serving set of dishes that I hardly use once a year! I tend to prioritize the oft overlooked things and spaces that I use every day. But to each her own!