Software
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_hanes34

New house

8 years ago
I am design challenged. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (27)

  • 8 years ago

    I think if you can post more pictures of all sides of the room, and elaborate more on what your struggling with, you'll get lots of advice. Also, what is your style and what are you willing to change? Are you just looking for ideas for the fireplace?

  • 8 years ago
    anything can be changed just feels like nothing matches and doesn't seem inviting.
  • 8 years ago

    Agree with Pam. Remove the window treatments. Also clear everything off the mantle, and sit the mirror on the mantle.

    We really need more pictures.

  • 8 years ago

    Art or a more substantial mirror over fireplace, minimal decor on mantel. The curtains have to go for sure. Maybe roman blinds or leave bare. Can't really see your tv stand, rug or coffee table, but maybe bring more colors in with rug, less dark and heavy coffee table, and throw pillows that don't match the sofa. I don't think you have to change your rug, it looks pretty neutral, but a more lively one may bring all your colors together.

  • 8 years ago
    It also feels like the furniture is very big for the little space. Maybe consider mounting the TV to eliminate the need for the table it's on?
  • 8 years ago
    Never mind. I should have looked more closely
  • 8 years ago


  • 8 years ago
    Thank you for the good advice. would a full mantel around the marble be better?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would have just two curtain panels and beefy mantel

  • 8 years ago

    I took off the curtains and lowered the mirror.


    It is an improvement but I think the mirror is to small and I'd remove the mantel. Art of your choice, not my abstract rooster.

    I'd also remove the small table and lamp in front of the right window. Room looks crowded.

    Could you clarify the paint color and furniture color?

    I'd buy or make roman shades for the windows in a fabric to go with the sofa.

    On my screen the sofa looks brown.

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with removing the panels or just having one pushed to the outer sides of the windows. I think roman shades or wood blinds would be a better fit for the windows though. The mantel is not large enough and is too far away from the fire box. Something beefier as suggested and lowered several inches would help. Removing it altogether is another good option. I would find a great piece of art no larger than the firebox and hang it about 6 inches from the top of the fireplace or the mantel. I would then replace the end table and lamp with a taller floor lamp. It looks as though your two sofas are the same size so I would replace the rectangular coffee table with something square. Something a little lighter would open up the space a bit. Even though you have tall ceilings, the best idea is to decorate where you live-9 feet and below.

  • 8 years ago

    Would you consider placing the sofa's opposit of each other on eather side of the fire place? I Think that would really open up the space. Maybe placing some light throws on them to lighten up the area. And yes, a chunky mantel would do wonders also.

    And then maybe a tall standing 'bow lamp light' in the corner that illuminates the mid area. You won't be needing the extra table where the smaller standing light is standig on that way.

    You'd just have to find space for the side cubbard where the stereo (if I'm correct ?) is in. Unfortunely I don't have enough pictures to see where it could go.

    Hope I helped.

  • PRO
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Get rid of mantle. Lamp. Curtains buy some sheers and put on all windows Even in dining area get a beautiful mirror or a cool art canvas make some white and blue pillows get some texture going Great room hope you post what you do
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Consider taking look at some items on my facebook.

    https://www.facebook.com/ScandinavianDesignFurnitureericschoice/

    Best,

    Eric.

  • 8 years ago

    Remove the mantel entirely. It's totally underwhelming. The mirror doesn't reflect anything worth looking at twice. Choose art instead.


    Your TV is too high. I'd lower it to about 5" over the console.


    What color are your walls? I'd paint them cream or off white.

  • 8 years ago
    would something like this work?
  • 8 years ago

    If you don't need window coverings, leave them bare. Otherwise, do outside mount shades. Remove the mantel and add some art; choose a color from the art for pillows to replace some of the ones that came with the sofas.


    You have too many case goods in this small space. Remove the table in the corner. If you need light there, get a floor lamp.


  • 8 years ago
    groveraxle,
    walls are cream color and celing is white.

    side table and ugly lamp will be removed.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Tammy, you don't have room for a mantel and surround like that. But definitely yes on the shades and on adding color in art and pillows. I wouldn't do such an ornate traditional lamp, though.

  • 8 years ago

    There's a serious red undertone in the room. Could be reflection from your sofas. You might experiment with changing your bulbs, but I can never remember if you want a warmer of cooler light to tone down the red.

  • 8 years ago

    I just looked it up and it looks like you should try a cooler light bulb, something in the 4000 - 5000K range. It's probably labeled "daylight" or "cool white."

  • 8 years ago

    agree w/grover about removing that thin mantle. It doesn't work, it's too small, and just does not go.

    if you really want one, beef it up and lower it. look at the size of this one and how it spans the width.

    I like the art idea above. I do like the marble around the fireplace. I would decorate using those colors.

    personally I don't think you need any window coverings. If you paint the window casings white, they would look great and would not need any blinds. look at the white trim around the windows in this pic. You don't have to do the wood siding, but look at the white contrast next to fireplace.

    I think painting all of the oak trim/ baseboards white and doing another color on the walls would make a world of update. You asked! I dislike that 80's oak trim.

    If you like it, fine. then paint the walls another color besides that beige. maybe a soft blueish gray, similar to this color,,,but a tad more blue

  • 8 years ago
    groveraxle,
    love the advice. not sure why but colors are not exact in pics?? couch is actually dark green.
  • 8 years ago
    beth,
    absolutely agree about the trim it is through the entire house and is going to be a HUGE project. also love the color scheme in the 1st photo u rock!
  • 8 years ago

    The mirror above the mantle reflects--absolutely nothing. Well, just the ceiling. That location is not suitable for a mirror; there's nothing interesting to reflect.