Software
Houzz Logo Print
busymom03

Trying to achieve designer look on average homeowner budget

9 years ago

Help! I have fallen in love with this room as an inspiration for my living room remodel. I am trying to figure out how to recreate it, but on a much smaller budget. The biggest issue I am having is the fabric for the drapes is about $170/yd! Any suggestions on fabrics that might get me the same feel and coloring that is $100 per yard or less???

Comments (23)

  • 9 years ago

    Best thing to do is go visit your local upholstery fabric store, and start perusing the zillion fabric books. Wait a minute, $100/yard ??? Have you added up the number of yards you will need? You will want to double the width of your window, most likely. And are you going to sew them up? It is going to be pricey to get those made...they look lined. Yes, beautiful, I agree.

  • 9 years ago

    Can you give us the name and manufacturer of the fabric? It's hard to determine the print when it's shown in a small pic with the folds.

  • 9 years ago


  • 9 years ago

    Country curtains is going out of business, go to the clearance, it's 70% off. There are others there that would work well with this room. Look at the lighter shade of blue floral. fabric and curtains. The one I picked is only five dollars a yard now.

  • 9 years ago

    My3Dogs - it is GP&J Baker - Nympheus. The funny thing is when the fabric is fully extended I don't love it - but I really am drawn to the large 'splotches' of color - both the blue, reddish/coral and white that show up when it is in a drapery panel. I think that has been the hardest part for me in trying to recreate the "feel" - most of the fabric I have found has very predictable repeats that limits the white space.

  • 9 years ago

    oh I know this pattern it's quite a famous one

    love it in black like here

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/547120132/sale-gp-j-baker-black-teal-green?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-home_and_living-home_decor-other&utm_custom1=75bf2746-d0b2-4877-839f-58d0f5fb1087&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8fngmN_e1gIVHbbACh1MSwk0EAQYAyABEgKL3fD_BwE

    usually I'm hunting the original very patiently to appear somewhere second hand or sold by some party cheaper but you need yards and yards of fabric..I'm afraid won't happen

    still you can try to go different road-look for the pallette, or the idea of the patttern, be inspired by it, and just search and search until you find something that makes you equally inspired

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Do you know how many yards you need? Are you making them yourself (HUGE savings) or having them made? If you are having them made, will the maker allow you to supply your own fabric?

    I always check FabricGuru.com when I want to make drapes. I just looked at a few there, which may be nothing that you like, but if you have some time to peruse their fabrics, you'll find a huge selection. Here are just a few -

    Millcreek Witherfield Sussex $19.95 yd

    Robert Allen Kavali Ogee in Persimmon $19.95

    Cyrus Clark Bankura in Multi - $5.21 per yard (only 17 yards in stock)

    Iman Home Medina Opal Printed Cotton Drapery Fabric With Sewn on Ribbon Embellishments $14.95 per yard

    Latika Festival $14.95 Yard

    This is at Fabric.com, Waverly Dressed Up Damask Poppy, on sale for $21.24 a yard, sale ends 10/10.

    ETA - Suzani in Aquamarine by P Kaufmann on sale for $9.98 yd at Housefabric.com, original price $28.97 yd.

  • 9 years ago

    I love this pattern. I have a set of pillows in my MB in a different colorway; I've had them several years and have never tired of them. The repeat, though, is nearly 36 inches, which would translate into ...maybe 30 yards for a smaller window? The weight of the linen, though, makes it hang nicely. I see it at $136 a yard.

  • 9 years ago

    you can..

    sign up on eBay search for the fabric..usually will give you similar results as well, and some people do sell a lot..might get lucky

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XGP%26J+Baker+-+Nympheus.TRS0&_nkw=GP%26J+Baker+-+Nympheus&_sacat=0

    you can try and do the same-sign up for search on textiles and fabric on Chairish for example. One needs to be patient of course

    right now I see there these

    https://www.chairish.com/product/555186/gpj-baker-drapery-panels-a-pair

    =different feel same manufacturer..great price though. these are already curtains; but many peope just sell textiles of all kinds, remnants ot quite a lot of yardage. don't miss this site too

    only 6 yards..

    https://www.chairish.com/product/803188/lee-jofa-california-gp-j-baker-england-6-yards

    but you get the idea. doesn't have to be the same. sign up and you'll get new results in your email daily

    or you might want check Anthropologie for some of their ready made curtains(that can be further customised if so you wish) that are great quality and of similar theme..obviously the merchandise changes from time to time. I have very vibrant curtains from them myself which I love, mine are embroidered, these are not but they have several other floral/fauna embroidered ones currently, some with raving reviews

    or you might want to look allover Calico Corners or fabric. com or look up fabric by a designer you like for something of different colorway but somewhat of a similar feel, or similar vibe, in short bearing some similarity for personally you..and it's usually a long search, which might though surprize you



  • 9 years ago

    Maybe something from Robert Allen in the Madcap Cottage collections would suffice and be less expensive

    http://www.robertallendesign.com/collections-madcap-cottage

    Or Thibaut Baron is a large print with lots of white ground... It somes in a print and an embroidery


  • 9 years ago

    yes, I also looked through Robert Allen and tried to save some images but obviously did that wrong as they weren't jpg s...

    I love that Thibault a lot..obviously everything fabric is very personal, that's just my thing. One searches until it hits him. Or one stumbles upon, falls in love and either can afford it or makes a pillow of it..:)

  • 9 years ago

    137.00/yard minus 10% with code CD17 or LD17, so 124.00/yard.
    https://www.decoratorsbest.com/search.aspx?searchterm=Nympheus

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you everyone. I am having them made for me, but the out of the three drapery shops in town the lowest they would do is $170, one wanted to charge $190 and the third said they couldn't get the fabric (to add insult they said, and I quote "you could do much better than that@). I asked if I could just have them fabricate using my own fabric and they said they would charge a 15% up charge. I need 4 panels, prob one to 1.5 widths, but for high tall ceilings:windows - so. Lose to 110" finished length. I have no idea how many yards that would equate too.

  • 9 years ago

    Your inspiration picture is probably 2-1/2 widths. 1 to 1-1/2 is going to be awfully skimpy. 2 widths would be about 28 yards or something like that, so $4800 in fabric, probably.

    The problem with Customer's Own Material is, if you buy the material there are two parties with responsibility for part of the product. If they mis-cut or something happens and they bought it, they have to buy more. They are responsible for the project from start to finish.

    My upholsterer and fabricator will only do COM if they can also get the fabric themselves. They prefer to order it themselves.

    I am not sure what the one shop meant by 'You could do better': get a better price? They didn't like the fabric?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You need to find a drapery workroom. They don't sell fabrics and they expect you to provide it. You can find these if you ask around.

    palimpsest, I've NEVER worked with a drapery fabricator or upholsterer that expected me to use their fabric! It's ALL COM!

    If you truly love this fabric, stretch and get it. You'll have the curtains for many, many years and they will bring you lots of joy.

  • 9 years ago

    palimpest - yes, they said were saying that they didn't like the fabric. easy to say when they don't sell it - right?! She kept telling me that i needed to look for something that had more consitency - which was exactly what I didn't want :) Thank you for the information on the the widths - I guess I have to do a little more research on what drapery widths are - I was just going off of what one of the shops told me. I told them I didn't want function drapes (no need to close them ever) and they said to get 1.5 width, but could probably do just one depending on the look I wanted. I definitley don't want "skimpy" to be the look though - LOL! I haven't heard of a drapery workroom - so i will do some searches and see if I can find that in my area.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    But Anglo, aren't you a designer? A lot of workrooms will not work with the general public. Upholsterers, maybe.

    I don't mean picking fabric from lines they carry. They wanted to be able to order it themselves, though. But you're right. The upholstered in the small town I grew up in expected his customers to provide fabric through a decorator, usually. But upholsterers in my city also carry fabrics, often, and the one I worked with could get anything I wanted so it wasn't limited to "his" fabric, not at all.

    When my window treatment guy went out of business for draperies when the workroom burnt down, I had a heck of a time finding a workroom who would even make something for a someone without a business licence. To the trade period. Plus I was COM at that point because my fabric was not at the workroom when it burnt. I finally was able to get a fabricator with two references from designers and she will work with me directly.

    The person who I was able to find who would work with the public was a seamstress, not a workroom. She could make drapes but not bedspreads. She did not have the quilting machinery.

    So I should have said "in my experience".

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    For years, I used ladies who made curtains...for everyone, not just designers. They still exist. My upholsterer will work for anyone. So will the curtain workroom I am presently using. They all need the business these days and will take the work where they can find it.

    Busymom, don't EVER use a single width of fabric! Ask me how I know! I got talked into doing the, my curtain lady swearing it would look great. Every time I walk into my daughter's old room, I look at those VERY expensive curtains and cringe. If the fabric were still made, I'd have them remade with a minimum of 1 1/2 widths of fabric. It really depends on the weight of the fabric. With a silk or other lighter weight fabric, double the width is best - they should look like a 1950's Dior ballgown. With a linen or heavier cotton, 1 1/2 will do.

    Whatever you do, have the curtains not only lined but interlined with English bump. It will look SO much better, and your curtains will last years longer - protects the fabric from light damage. Also, helps keep heat out in summer, in, in the winter!

    busymom03 thanked Anglophilia
  • 8 years ago

    I found a drapery place that will let me bring my own material!!! Only problem -- now I am chickening out :( Thought I would swap to a less bold option of the Lee Jofa "Tallow" which are just indigo leaves - but after sitting on that for a few days I am afraid that will just grow boring. now I am at a complete standstill - questioning every thing again and wondering if I just need to find a designer. but - I have gone down the designer road before - and at the end of the day I had a room that was pretty but didn't feel like mine. ugh. Thanks for everyone's help - will keep you updated if I ever work something out.

  • 8 years ago

    Maybe try this website? http://store.lynnchalk.com/dining-room-drapes-in-nympheus-indigo-marine-katie-rosenfeld-design/ 

    She indicates in the description that the fabric is discounted 40%.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you are indecisive, for heaven's sake, don't splurge on Lee Jofa fabric! You need to take a deep breath and try to figure out what you really like. An indecisive client is a nightmare for a designer.

  • 8 years ago

    Anglophilia - I know!!!! I think I am just getting cold feet b/c of the cost and doubting my own skill to put something together. I started and stopped my kitchen remodel 3 times before I finally was able to pull the trigger, and now I love it - but for some reason I just doubt my self.