Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arebe1

front load washing machine Electorlux 1.5K, speequeen $2k Miele $2.5k?

AreBe
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Front loader machine died (Kitchen Aid was $1,500 12 years ago so bit upset about not hitting $100/ year amortization on the machine.) Dryer is fine by the way. I want to stay clear of plastic so some popular brands are more or less out. I am considering (1) Swedish based Mexican made Electrolux, at or about $1,500 (2) substantially more expensive but vastly superior Speed Queen at about $2,000 and (3) if I go for the American made Speed Queen, why not Miele, for only a few hundred dollars more - arguably the best domestic appliance maker on the planet. But, for the German one, I need to buy a dryer too as both the washer and dryer use the same 240 volt plug but the European made appliances use much less electricity and water, and are demonstrably superior in design and build quality, but you have to pay for it - but only a couple of hundred more than for the Speed Queen. Any ideas? Anyone have a Miele? Worth a few hundred more than Speed Queen? Anybody have an Electorlux?

for clarity - this Electrolux EFLS617SIW http://www.electroluxappliances.ca/Laundry-Appliances/Washing-Machines/Washers/EFLS617SIW/ This Speed Queen https://ca.speedqueen.com/products/front-load-washers.aspx Miele washing machine https://www.miele.ca/en/c/washing-machines-1566.htm?mat=10203750&name=W_1753 BUT I MUST BUY a dryer with Miele : https://www.miele.ca/en/c/product-selection-of-tumble-dryers-1574.htm#7

Comments (27)

• armjim
    6 years ago

My partner's Mom has a Miele set. Just too small for me. The machines are fine, but having to do more loads (we use two bath towels a day for example) is not what I want to do, particularly considering the longer cycle times for a FL. If you can afford the cost and it sounds like you can, you should base your decision in my opinion on which machines will give you the flexibility you want-load size, cycle options and s forth. Any washer should last for at least 10 years so I would figure out what is most important-the durability of the machine or its ability to do laundry how you wish.

• rococogurl
    6 years ago

I had a Miele set for many years and highly recommend. Many here on this forum also have and love them. Because Miele has a heater, and can produce a true hot wash at 158F it is very different from a Speed Queen, which most report has no heater. I would be careful to compare the features carefully before buying.

Miele also has a premium line called the Little Giant which has a much larger and more powerful heater and requires a special look up. Many here have those as well.

• georgect
    6 years ago

With the machines you had (washer 4.0 cu. ft. / dryer 7.6 cu. ft.) , you would be stepping down in size with both the Speed Queen and the Miele.

The Electrolux (with link you provided) is rated 5.1 cu. ft., substantially larger.

Are you a family? Empty nesters?

I have the last series Electroux washer and dryer (washer 4.4 cu. ft. / dryer 8.0 cu. ft.) and that size is pretty big. I can wash a California King top/bottom sheets and mattress pad and duvet cover easily in the same load.

Speed Queen is a solid made machine but has no added features for the high price. No Sanitary cycle, no Allergen cycle, no Steam Cycle...there is no on board heater to boost water temp. Temps are only as hot as your hot water heater supplies.

Miele might be good for you if you don't have large loads but is is an investment. You can pack more into a Miele without sacrificing cleaning.

We need more information on what your needs are.

AreBe thanked georgect
  • AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ah right- OK, the #1 goal is value for money, which does not mean the cheapest thing. The sani clean function was used 2 x a year . Is Steam cleaning a big deal? Does it demonstrably work? I live in Toronto- Sears is going bust in Canada so I am going to check out what deal I can get there, assuming the deal would be on Eletrolux, and I have purchased from an appliance wholesaler that specializes in selling to developers but will sell to people off the street, and I have saved considerable sums buying kitchen appliances there and they will carry all the brands I am considering. My thinking is this: if not buying a dryer, as mine is fine but not my call alone, then getting the electrolux, if someone is insisting that we buy a dryer, then see about putting that money instead into a Speed Queen, and if that argument fails and we are getting a new dryer no debate, then Miele, but all of this is subject to getting a good price.

The Speed Queen has less than obvious controls but is very well made.

The Miele a wee bit small and does not take bleach but is probably the best made

The Electrolux is a perfectly suitable product that will need repairs or replacement before I would like,

• enduring
    6 years ago

You should check out Costco in Canada as they sell Miele. You can’t get a Miele through Costco in the states. As mentioned above , the Little Giant by Miele is a larger machine than the standard sized Miele. The Little Giant will wash king sized quilts. Out of your list I would be checking into the Little Giant. 240v for washer and same for dryer.

• Cal
    6 years ago

The other item to note about the Miele Little Giant is the cycle times are fast as they are designed for commercial use, constantly running and turning out wash/dry.

Miele Canada said they were planning to release the new W1/T1 line this fall which might handle more capacity, but there hasn't been much communication from them lately on this.

• mrb6228
    6 years ago

Well, I have had all three on your list. Kept the Miele for about a year and gave them away. Too small. Took forever to get through a weeks washing over a weekend. And wrinkles. Speed Queen FL. Pretty much bulletproof, but not perfect either. A hot wash involves a prewashing routine before a tap hot condition is met but cycles are quick! Electrolux 617. These are currently my main machines in use. Not perfect either. No automatic prewash. Built in heater. Doors are reversible on both W and D. Delay start option on both W and D. I think dollar for dollar, the Elux is the best of your choices.

MRB

• linus2003
    6 years ago

I just checked the Costco Canada website and they sell the Octoplus machines, sure they are expensive but are the same size or there about what you are used to. It handles 17,6 pounds of laundry. It is 5199,99$

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

2 points

1, Question of extreme significance- from time to time, the old Kitchen Aid would tear up clothing- curtains, bedding in particular - what do I do to not have that happen?I am seeking to not have that!

2, Costs count Yeah let me tell you what's not happening- $6,000 washing machine and $6,000 dryer. But, $1,500 without batting an eye no problem. (Electrolux) I am open minded to being out another -$750 - $1,000 and get a Speed Queen as superior quality and build clear to the eye provided I can get a good deal, and if I must get a new dryer- at or about $3,000 I would have to seriously consider the again vastly suprior Miele, but I cannot afford a $5,000 outlay - $3,000 really my max and it has to be demonstrably fantastic, - Kind of liking the Speed Queen idea ... depending on price.

I am getting pretty firm that if I am not buying a new dryer Mielei is out and if I am then that is what I will buy.

I am ok with sacrificing some of the features of Electorlux - a perfectly suitable machine and I may still buy it- for a Speed Queen tank - even if the SQ does not have a water heater etc whatever- it is darn well near a machine that will never break.

• enduring
    6 years ago

SEA SEA is correct the 30xx machines are 120v. The little giants are 240v. The older mieles were 240v, because they would take water up to 190f. The 30xx series heats to 158f like mentioned by Rococogurl.

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah all the miele I have seen are 240 volts

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

SEA SEA Thank you for your insightful comments- I am seriously considering the Speed Queen. I live in Toronto, so almost assuredly, given the size of the city and the competitive marketplace, whatever appliance repair company has the contract for warranty work in Toronto is competent, or alternatively, if I call SQ for support they may give me the names of 2 or 3 companies they recommend etc.

They can come with a pedestal as an extra add-on, right? Their web page seems to indicate as such.

can seem to get Speed Queen

AFNE9BSP113CW01 for about $2,500 plus tax

• enduring
    6 years ago

AreBe, the 30xx series are 120v, I have one. I also have several older models that are 240v. The US market for residential Miele machines were changed to 120 in the last decade sometime. I bought my 3033 washer in 2013 or 2014 and it was a 120v unit. In Europe I believe they are all 240v.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

It's really easy to run 220 if you need to but most likely a 220v washer can be run off splitter coming off the dryer if its an electric dryer. I have an electrolux (frigidaire) on its last legs, and it won't die no matter how much I wish it would. The cold water valve has frozen up with minerals so it only does hot, and its starting to rust on the front. But it's still going. I have a pair of 220v Miele's from the 1990's that are waiting to fill the space. I can run both off a splitter coming out of the 220 for the dryer as long as I don't try to start both machines at the same time.

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah thought of that- called Miele directly - not recommended- yeah, I know that is what you'd expect them to say! I saw an AEC or something like that, European Electorlux, etc. and it comes with a 240 volt splitter -but that brand is pretty esoteric in North America so staying clear and same price as Miele

• Cal
    6 years ago

For the Canada market, if you were to go with the Miele W3048, it plugs into a standard 120V outlet (no special 240V required), so you wouldn't have to replace your dryer.

The W1753 that you have linked is the model that would require a special outlet.

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

W3048! Ok! Will look into it! Thanks! May put miele back in the race

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

The Miele looks like it is $200 off and you get $150 in free Miele detergent or other products free. I would already know which machine I would buy!!

• friedajune
    6 years ago

Re Speed Queen - that fact that it is has no onboard heater is a non-starter for me, and it's not just about a Sanitary wash cycle. I live in the Chicago area, so my climate is probably similar to yours. In winter, my home's incoming water temps are in the upper 30's-low 40's F. A washing machine without an onboard heater cannot overcome that icey first blast of cold water until the hot water from the hot water heater kicks in. And even when the hot water heater kicks in, it may not be providing very hot water to the washing machine by the time the water passes through pipes to get there, with the pipes also being cold in winter. When the washer's water isn't hot, your clothes don't get clean. I advise you to get a washer with an onboard heater, a powerful one.

I have an older Miele with an amazing heater, and yes, I paid extra for an electrician to hook up the 240V. Love it, worth every penny.

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well tomorrow I am off to an appliance wholesaler who sells to developers but will sell to people off the street and they will have every product there - will look at speedqueen and the 120 volt mile and i yes milie has a free detergent and $250 off promotion so i'll have that chat tomorrow! All 3 in the running but I think the wind is currently blowing toward speedqueen - which by the way, has the least obvious control - concern about no heater is valid - need to run the water for 3 minutes in winter

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK! Speed Queen, delivered and installed, all taxes, "in the house sitting where is needs to be with old machine gone" price: $2,812.57 - (Canadian) this one https://ca.speedqueen.com/products/front-load-washers.aspx?mn=AFNE9BSP113CW01#build-your-own 

Has induction motor! Wow! That is real - deal thinking -cap on engineering-

5 year all in warranty and designed for 20 years.

Not denying Miele also has some real - deal engineering and I would admit Miele probably even a better build but not a tank like Speed Queen.

Miele- excellent but too small for the 120 volt one, and quite a bit of money - I noted comment about doing laundry all weekend. It was at least $500 more and it was tiny. So it was out.

Electrolux - suitable machine no doubt about it- more features- very easy to use controls- unlike 'guessing at kind of' on the SQ.. And Elctrolux has alight in it -kind of neat! - and steam clean - an excellent machine. and could be installed for at or about $1,200 all in.

So why not Electrolux but Speed Queen?

1, Vastly and self- evidently better build quality;

2, This! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

• AreBe
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh! And thanks for all of the insightful comments! "All weekend doing laundry on the <Milie" , "No heater on the SQ" and "Electorlux looks best" etc and others all very helpfull, as were those cheering on Mielei- best made appliances o the planet, but not a suitable size or price-point for me.

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago

Congratulations! You sound like you will be happy with your machine! I'm very happy for you. Please come back and tell us all about your experience when you've had it for a while. Enjoy!

• lizweiler
    3 years ago

Nothing but problems with my new Miele washer/dryer. Service calls take forever then waiting for parts. I’ve had these machines now for 6 weeks and I have not done a load of laundry. Thank goodness i have an Electrolux which has been my workhorse. Miele needs to do a better job. My new Miele built in coffee maker collapsed after 3 weeks. Again, 2 weeks for a service call and i expect another 3 week wait for a part. Despite owning Miele products for over 20 years, i have lost confidence in the quality.

• Helen M
    last year

Hi there! Please tell us how you are enjoying your washing machine choice. I’m now in the market for one and I’d like to know if you have any feedback. Thank you