Software
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_arias34

New Construction roof plumbing vent

8 years ago
Hi everyone! I'm building a home in Missouri City Texas. My plumber just put 8 penetrations in my roof, all for sewage vents. Am I crazy or is that way too many? I haven't seen any house with as many Ever. When I asked, he says Missouri City requires each vent to be on its own.. What do yall think?

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    he says Missouri City requires each vent to be on its own

    You should ask someone in Missouri City

  • 8 years ago
    Definitely emailing the inspector I've been dealing with asap. The city follows IBC 2015, can't find anything in there about not combining the vent stack.
  • 8 years ago

    That does seem a little nuts not being able to combine a VENT stack... It's not the first time we've seen / heard of subs talking nonsense. And all this holes invite leaks, not to mention looking like butt.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    He's doing it as cheap and fast as he can with no regard for any work that comes after him. The GC must be running some kind of circus show. Zip System is also a good indication of a circus show. I don't care what they say. You don't rely on tape joints on painted OSB as flashing. They're probably going to nail the siding right on the OSB with no airspace.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I feel bad saying

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You not crazy, your plumber is...

  • 8 years ago

    When I asked, he says Missouri City requires each vent to be on its own.. What do yall think?

    I think he's full of horse droppings.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Anthony give this to your plumber, let him read it. This is from International Residential Code.

    IRC Chapter 31

    SECTION P3104

    VENT CONNECTIONS AND GRADES

    3104.1 Connection. All individual branch and circuit vents

    shall connect to a vent stack, stack vent or extend to the open

    air.

    This is from International 2015 Plumbing Code

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you! Let's see how he tries to get himself out of this one.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You have 8 roof penetrations, by the look of it you should have only 3-4 tops.

  • 8 years ago

    There’s some place in TX that actually follows a building code?? They’re usually so proud about not needin’ no steenkeng codes!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Mark, seen that here also on high-end homes with slate roofs, etc. Even on the regular roof, the fewer roof penetrations there is the better.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Zip System is also a good indication of a circus show.

    Fine Homebuilding has rated the Zip System "good". And it's a favourite, with special detailing, for the energy saving sticklers at Green Building Advisor.

    They're probably going to nail the siding right on the OSB with no airspace.

    I can hear the siding contractor already: "We're required to do that by the city."

    AS for the vent forest, it's probably true that it's not against Code to do it that way. Which is not the same thing as it's required.


  • 8 years ago
    Got a reply from the permits and inspection division:

    Missouri City has no ordinance regarding DWV (Drain Waste Vent) systems. We enforce the 2015 International Residential Code and the 2015 International Plumbing Code. Therefore, based on this limited information, individual vents should not be required and can be achieved through “common venting” of some type.
  • 8 years ago

    ^^^ no way, the contractor tried to get over on you with the old 'it's required by code' line of garbage... (end sarcasm)

    I am pretty tolerant - but I HATE being treated like I am a dumbass. Getting blatantly lied to about things that are easy to check is just insulting.

  • 8 years ago

    Making all those roof penetrations isn't even a shortcut - that's a lot of work! Making the connections in the attic isn't any harder so what did this guy actually save himself? Now the question is, once the connections are made, how are the excess penetrations repaired?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I just had a chance to closer look at the image of your roof. That is amazing!

  • 8 years ago
    DLM2000, I'll have to patch up the holes with more zip system decking and tape the heck out of it.

    Y'all sit down get ready for this, the plumber said the leftover holes will be okay once the roof is papered and shingled. Who knows what he's smoking.

    He did agree to combine the vents.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Check what your roofer suggests. This system, or a homemade version, would make sense.

    leftover holes will be okay once the roof is papered and shingled

    Well, if you hadn't seen it, you wouldn't know any better!

    I bought a resale home with a partial flat roof. Two years later, a saturated ceiling collapsed with no notice.The roof had been retro insulated via a dozen hockey puck size holes. Then they stuck back the pucks, tarred over it and were gone. The two adjoining houses had the same procedure and suffered the same.