Software
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_bishop888

can’t find backsplash for this busy granite!! help!!!!

8 years ago
I’ve being searching high and low for a backsplash to go with this countertop along w color for cabinets? Veining has tan to gray colors. Opinions pls! TIA!

Comments (125)

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Can you post photo from further back. This looks familiar to me?
  • 8 years ago
    Hi, Flo!
    Thanks for your opinion! That is so me! I like it, but will it go??? Glass sub in a brown gray? I will post photos as soon as i get home in a bit.
  • 8 years ago
    The only thing I see going with this is a glass sheet back painted in a color just lighter than the main Gray/brown base. I just can’t picture any tile with this much drama in the granite.
    Except possibly and larger scaled glass tile in a similar color.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    mj B - I don't mean subway glass, I mean a sheet of glass to fit edge to edge as the backsplash, back painted to work with the countertop. Seek no or very few grout lines.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks Melissa and Flo!
    Flo, oh ok. Sorry, I’m lost here. Let me look up glass sheet.
  • 8 years ago
    Ok, i just looked up glass sheet and it’s very pretty!
    What color???
  • 8 years ago
    Flo,
    When you mentioned light gray did you mean lighter than cabs?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I don't have a picture of the cabinets, I am guessing at the color of the stone countertops because, colors on monitors vary all over the place. Put a sheet of white paper on the counter and take a photo then take a picture from further back of the kitchen with the cabinets so we can see the whole picture.

  • 8 years ago
    The cabinet pictures are up near the top of the thread......
  • 8 years ago
    You can always just use a paint formulated for kitchen. Your stone is so gorgeous, I wouldn’t do anything to distract from it.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    OK, I didn't scroll back far enough before, sorry about that. The gray cabinets change the look of your stone a lot and for the better for this kitchen. Nicely done. Floor is fine. Backsplash. I would be tempted to try for matching the cabinets with the painted glass or a shade lighter. But I don't think white would work. The eye sees white first (because it is actually light not a color) and I don't think you want the backsplash "popping" out that much. A soft taupe to work with the granite would work as well I believe. I wouldn't do any of the Carrera type looks. That stone is highly variable and you never know what you will get and it can be very busy and sometimes a lot darker than you expect. I am wondering about a long taupe/gray colored tile? I'll have to check around now that I have a photo of the kitchen cabs. Beth probably can pull one up I a flash. But I'll check.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    This is going to be hard. Here are two mock ups and I don’t like either option, but I am posting to show you the problem you have. One is long taupe tile and one is more silvery tile. Neither work. Plus you have the gold hardware. So, back to the drawing boards. I have to think about this.
  • 8 years ago
    I think back painted glass in either the cab color or granite background color is really about your only choice in this situation. As Flo said, you want your backsplash to recede, not pop out at you when you walk in the room. I now wonder about glare from under cabinet lighting or dark areas if there is none.

    Do you have under cabinet lighting installed?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    @Melissa - I am leaning that way as well, however, I fear more of the cabinet color against the taupe of the granite. Might almost look like a "miss". Do you have extra floor tile? Could you hold up a piece of that at the backsplash and post a photo. Maybe that would work! I just think there is way too much going on with gold hardware, gray cabinets, taupe and multi-colored granite, multi-colored flooring. I just worry about introducing yet another material and color variation. Thinking.....

  • 8 years ago
    Pls excuse the mess in the corner.
  • 8 years ago
    With floor.
  • 8 years ago
    Are there any windows in this room?
  • 8 years ago
    Very messy and in the middle of painting all that dark color white. All of that dining and decor will be replaced as well.
  • 8 years ago
    You call this messy???? :-)

    Is that the only window? What’s the lighting situation like in the kitchen and are there under cabinet lights?
  • 8 years ago
    Lol, yes! :-p. There is lighting under the cabs. The other light shines from the other side of the wall from formal dining. There is a hideous fluorescent box light in the room. Part of me does when i look at it :p. It will be taken down too. For the most part there’s a good amount of natural light, but not super bright.
  • 8 years ago
    It’s all lovely but it just seems so ...dreary. Sorry to say that...what’s the light fixture in the kitchen and how tall is the ceiling?

    Obviously the backsplash is not intended to be the star in this kitchen, which is ok....it feels like it’s missing something and I realize you’re not finished yet. Maybe a killer light fixture over the island or something. Something very Restoration Hardware like or super cool Circa lighting like....can we see the fixture over the table? All I see are light bulbs...what are your lighting plans....
  • 8 years ago
    It’s ok . Just being honest. The before photo was worse, lol. So there’s no fixtures as of that in the dinning.
  • 8 years ago
    No, don’t get me wrong! I think it will be stunning when you’re finished!!
  • 8 years ago
    I’m kind of confused....what backsplash is up there now? And can you turn on the under cabinet lighting and take a photo?
  • 8 years ago
    I hope so! It’s stainless steel and mosaic that doesn’t go with it. I can’t wait to have it all torn out!
  • 8 years ago
    How about just sanding it, painting it the wall color and living with the rest of the new changes until it comes to you....rather than slapping something up that you’re not sure about???
  • 8 years ago
    Melissa, thought about that too . I did that to the brown mosaic that was above the desk. Might just paint it so it’s not such an eyesore. But also i don’t want to do all that work if it’s coming off.
  • 8 years ago
    You can’t just leave it up there for awhile?? It really isn’t that horrible....but, I haven’t lived with it.

    A thought.....if you’re going to tear it out anyway, maybe just paint over it? Then you’ll get an idea of what the color would be like? I’m mean, your going to rip it out one way or the other, right?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We go over backsplash in our latest post, read it here.

    https://designerdrains.com/interior-design/8-design-trends-keep-eye-2018/

  • 8 years ago
    Meslissa,
    Ok, I’ll do that. Hopefully, something comes up later :).
  • 8 years ago
    Sounds like a plan! Keep us posted!
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    I have been wonder about a metal. Like a copper. Would work with cabinets and bring out the copper vein tones in granite. It is timeless material. I have photo. But i can’t get to it right now. I will post for you later today.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Wondering if your hardware could be swapped for copper? Here are some inspiration photos. Might be able to do copper over range, copper hardware and in time change out sink for hammered copper possibly. Then keep backsplash quiet matching gray tiles.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    bronze mirror

    4x12 Artisan Taupe

    this color works w/your stone

    this is just to show you the tones of this type of stone. if you did one or the other, it would work.

    the chevron is crema marfil and travertine from tilebar.com. order some samples.

    this one is tilebar Lancaster in Ivory.

  • 8 years ago
    Beth, I always love your picks! But ultimately which would work best??? Do you think off whites or try matching the stone???? TIA
  • 8 years ago
    Ooooh, I think the copper color might be a winner! It’s warm and it picks up a thread in the granite...

    That painted glass backed all one piece; your kitchen just isn’t modern enough for that, i think.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think you need to order some samples. take your time w/this one. Grab some samples from tilebar.com. you get 5 for $5.

    then maybe do some glass tiles. DiscountGlassTileSTore.com

    then call Lindsey at Fireclaytile. tell her I sent you from here. get some samples in CremeBrulee and Silk and Andromeda. it's glazed brick tile. I don't like a real bright white. something a little softer.

    then get two more samples of the tile in Sandstone and Chardonnay (these all come in different shapes and sizes. these are 2x4)

    https://www.fireclaytile.com/subway-tile/colors/

    then go to CleTile and get the weathered white (that's on those hex tiles I posted above) or on these subways (which is pictured above in the kitchen w/gold hardware)

    then get a sample of their glazed brick,,,this one is Parchment. It's a perfect shade.

    In fact, I just ordered a grip of samples from them myself. That weathered white isn't a bright white. here is my samples. ,,

    bottom left- Weathered White glazed Zelliege (these are thick), and Ink.

    then glazed bricks of Cypress, Paper, Parchment,

    If you want to see the size of the hex (3") look at the gray one in this pic.

    https://www.cletile.com/collections/brick-tile-glazed-glazed-thin-brick

    https://www.cletile.com/collections/terracotta-tile-glazed-zellige

    Any of these would work. they come in the hex shape too. Plus, their prices are reasonable, and they're in stock. Fireclay is nice, but they're custom order.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you! I will call tomorrow and order those! :)
  • 8 years ago

    I think you should put the light cream color from the counters on backsplash. Maybe glazed brick. :)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I will await samples and see what looks good. But Beth, very nice suggestions and excellent help, as always!

  • 8 years ago

    thanks flo. I just ordered these from Cle. I'd never seen them before and they're are actually affordable (compared to similar others). You see my granite,,,,so tired of it. If I do keep it, I like some of those brick colors w/it. And that cobalt blue one?? hehe,,,I'd love to do my entire fireplace wall w/it. I mean, Hello?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You know I love that cobalt!! What does "affordable" mean? lol

  • 8 years ago

    like 18-25 sq ft. compared to 30-45 for the other companies w/this tile. those glazed bricks are 18.25 sq ft if my memory is right. Bargain!

    those smaller white ones, the glazed terra cotta zelliege, are 1.25 each.

  • 8 years ago
    Beth,
    I just ordered those samples you recommended! Super excited!!! Lindsey was so helpful! I told her you sent me too :).She threw in a few others that she liked as well.
    I’m going to get some travertine samples too. I don’t know why people say to stay away. I used it on my deck. I don’t see pinks. Even made a counter out of it.
  • 8 years ago
    P.s that royal blue is gorgeous!!!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    mj B. Glad lindsey hooked you up! As for the travertine, you have to get the higher quality ivory that doesn't have those pink tones. that's what people don't like. I think once you get your samples and see them in person w/the stone, you'll get a better idea.

    pungogirl,,,glossy's do not compete. I don't know where you got this notion. Your 'busy' granite (it's really not that busy) is quite different from OP's granite. his has a very pronounced veining and coloring. yours (if it's similar to that pic) is more of a muted busy. two different looks. I appreciate that you like HD and Floor and Decor, but I would never recommend people buy any natural stone from either place. They use bottom of the barrel quality and try and pass off their China White marble as Carrara. It's not. Only marble from Carrara Italy is actual Carrara. Their natural stone doesn't have the good coloring or durability that higher end marbles have. If you're going to pay $15-20 sq ft for marble, then get the good stuff. ya know? There is a reason F&D and HD have low pricing.

    mj B thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    punggogirl67,

    Thank you! That antique ivory is would be a great choice of white and material! Thanks for your input.:)

  • 8 years ago
    I beg to differ....in my opinion, glossies most certainly compete when they’re next to each other. If the idea is for the granite to be the focal point....“artwork”, then the backsplash is the backdrop for the art. If they are both high gloss, it confuses the eye and immediately becomes competitive.
    I am not an advocate of HD or F&D...those were just examples of where some customers like to shop.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    pun girl,,I guess we will just have to differ on that one. I see thousands of polished stone/quartz countertops w/glossy tiles,,,either stone, glass or ceramic of some type. In fact, I'd say 99% of polished countertops are paired w/equally polished backsplash tiles of some sort. Travertine or tumbled or honed marble are the majority of the 'matte' materials that are used. but even those aren't used that much.

    the key is to pick a splash that doesn't compete, but enhances or compliments the countertop. kind of like pairing jewelry w/a beautiful dress. You just have to know what to pick.