Software
Houzz Logo Print
kkristie

chalk paint - do it yourself chairs

8 years ago
I’ve just been gifted 10 very farm house style dinning room chairs and would like to lighten them up to go with my decor since they were free.

I was reading about chalk paint and this as an option - thinking the home deport brand in white? Has anyone used it? Other brand recommendations.

Am I crazy to take this on? I haven’t used chalk paint before.

My kitchen photo so you can see the style.


Is this a better job for a professional to spray them. From a coat perspective I’d like to keep it under $500 since someday I want new fabric chairs.

Photos attached - ideas welcome. Wall of dinning room is SW agreeable grey and trim bm simply white. Kitchen off the dinning room is bm simply white cabinets. Would like to lighten them up a great deal and blend with th e house.

I took blue and 4 yellow.

Comments (22)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Chalk paint is very easy to use. I would get higher quality than Home Depot. I tried some I purchased from there and didnt really like it. In fact I painted my floors am doing them over again right now with a higher quality chalk paint. I recently painted a bathroom vanity using Renaissance chalk paint from Amazon and I really liked it. It is a very easy process as there is no sanding or priming required prior to applying the paint. You are supposed to use wax after the paint dries. My guess is it will cost you about $100 for paint and supplies needed for that many chairs. If labor is free then you will be well below your $500 budget. Enough money to throw a dinner party for 10 special guests after all the paint dries to show off your new chairs.

    https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-Chalk-Furniture-Cabinet-Paint/dp/B00S517T14/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1510094209&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=renaissance+chalk+paint&psc=1

  • 8 years ago

    What does your table look like? My first thought is to do them in black...

  • 8 years ago

    yes, chalk paint is easy. clean those well w/tsp and make sure you rinse well. I like to sand (even tho you don't have to) to remove any rough spots. paint two coats, lightly sand, then wax and buff. chairs are a lot of work to paint. I usually spray them. but try a few w/the chalk paint and see how you like it. I haven't used HD brand, but have used all the other big names. I usually make my own. (Behr sample pot paint and plaster of paris powder. 2:1 ratio, hot water)

    try a nice charcoal gray or the black.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have no advice, but would like to offer a fabric for curtains or other, if that'd make a blend.... Best wishes!!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Oh, the long shot is that you might like current chairs, mixed together! ... or this fabric with yellow chairs, and paint the others the background color:

  • 8 years ago

    hey, a nice pink chair would look great w/that fabric!

    so here's a chalk paint chair. plenty of examples online, and plenty of videos. here is one of them:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyD_jfLvc8M

  • 8 years ago

    Luckily, they don't have rush seats so painting will be more straight forward, BUT that high gloss finish will have to be taken off for a paint job to work. If we could see your table, we'd make more valid suggestions. I tend to lean toward coordinating them with fabric and textiles in your room and leaving them the color they are - much easier solution. Spend your $500 on that.

  • 8 years ago
    I love chalk paint, have done a few items myself
  • 8 years ago
    I actually don’t have a dinning room table yet - I want something 8 feet but haven’t bought anything yet. Right now I am using an ikea table that extends to this size. It’s great but have had it for a long time and looking to update now that we moved.

    Here’s a photo of the kitchen table - it is in a separate room from the dinning room, but close enough that I want some sort of relationship between the two.

    Table is pier 1 and chairs ikea so economical since I have a 2 year old
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion: while I totally agree making them work is a better idea I’m more of a calm colour purpose and although I like the blue I don’t really love the yellow. Maybe painting the others and leaving the blue is a good option?

    My house is pretty neutral with pattern and colour I think to be added with accessories.

    My living room I have colourful blue pillows and curtains in the blue, grey and slightly grey purplish family.

    The bedroom I have navy.

    But otherwise mostly grey, beige, and white. Which is because I’m scared to committee to big things I can’t change!
  • 8 years ago
    Beth - I’ll check out the link.

    I do love a white chair!
  • 8 years ago
    Grey or black could work - I’ve been leaning against dark because it shows dust and whole white shows marks I find it so much easier to clean then endless dust that settles after I clean.

    Charcoal is a good idea Beth

    And pink - except hubby would likely have a heart attack with that many pink chairs.

    Is a mix match look a good look to go for? Leave some blue, a few charcoal or maybe white.

    Would it make sense to do a few shades darker than the wall.

    Table will likely be a wood something. Not white. I am still looking. Don’t want something too farm house as I want to Balance the look of the chairs.
  • 8 years ago
    I like your kitchen table and chairs. Could you post more pictures of your kitchen...I am renovating a farmhouse and your kitchen is inspirational!
  • 8 years ago
    bubbabloom aw wow thanks! What a compliment

    I’ve posted a few times on her about the kitchen If you go back to older posts. Should help with some of the questions I asked. Cabinets and counter top were originally here - just updated backsplash, painted cabinets, new hardware and move the microwave up (it was too low for code).

    It’s not really that big so not much to post

    Tile -home deport, white subway tile.
    Colour - cabinet and trim bm simply white
    Wall - bm edgecomb gray (love this colour - warm, grey beige)
    Kitchen Hardware is from Lee valley

    A few photos during the process
  • 8 years ago
    Beth- I used that spray stuff for all my weird sized floor vents! Worked amazing- they look like new and saved me a ton in not having to custom order.

    Okay I will try that. Not super keen on hours of work to paint, but also like them enough that I want to make them work - just not the colour they are. Definitely want an honest opinion from houzz if it was worth the labour - pay someone, buy new, or try it out - seems most people are saying at least give it a shot

    And yes bench seat is exactly the next my list. Any recommendations of where to go? I want something durable as my son sits on the floor by the bench having his snacks so needs to be wipe or dark colour. Online store?
  • 8 years ago

    just as a suggestion,,,I see these round oak table all the time on Craigslist for super cheap. (I actually picked up one for $10 and refinished it to look like this:

    or you could do the white base.

    would give you a bit more room, and would look nice w/whatever color you want to paint the chairs.

    btw, if you could do another bench seating on the window behind the table, your kids could have more room to sit and do their work!

    you could get a stencil and do this to your existing table w/chalk paint. (make sure it's on the dry side and go lightly) and then coat w/a few coats of poly

  • 8 years ago
    Second on the scuff, degloss, and spray.
    the chairs are pretty, but chalk paint and post paint waxing is a major time commitment with spindle chairs.
  • 8 years ago

    for bench cushions, since that's a custom size, try Etsy or maybe pier one would have one that would fit.

    curious,,,,you didn't want a small overhang on the island so you could put a few stools there?


  • 8 years ago
    Thank your Kate- I love the bench under the window and hutch
  • 8 years ago
    Beth - the counter tops were already here when we moved in so I had no say. An overhang would be awesome but there is a wall and pantry across from the island plus door to the basement so space doesn’t allow it unfortunately .

    Here’s a before that you can see
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Especially if table will be mid-toned wood, blue chairs add youthful interest. It doesnt have to look sloppy if rest of chairs match something - probably white of cabinets. Personally, i like the look.