Software
Houzz Logo Print
angela_shults

Furniture Layout Help

8 years ago
We are getting hardwoods refinished in my den (keeping room) next week to a neutral medium brown. We have a great room that has the TV so there won’t be a TV in here. Just want it to be a sitting room. It connects to the kitchen. The sofa and coffee table need to stay at this point but what other furniture do I need? Also what’s the best placement?

Comments (26)

  • 8 years ago
    View from kitchen
  • 8 years ago

    I would add one or two side tables with lamps on each side of the sofa. Or as suggested above, move the sofa out from the wall and put a table behind the sofa. Add lamps to this. Add color with artwork, patterned pillows and area rug. The shelf unit sitting catty-cornered looks out of place. Can you place it against a wall in the room. If not, I would move it to another room. Try the chair where the shelving unit is. I agree that the coffee table should run parallel with the sofa.

  • 8 years ago

    That's actually a bird cage - lol. :) So even though it's a small room, the sofa shouldn't sit against the wall?

  • 8 years ago

    You have two options: against the wall with side tables and lamps or away from the wall with a sofa table behind. It is your personal decision. Personally I like the two side tables better.

  • 8 years ago

    Ok I definitely want it against the wall with 2 side tables. Should I look for two matching club chairs to sit facing the sofa? The only issue I'm seeing is that when the sofa is against the wall, having the coffee table centered in front of the fireplace (when it is placed parallel to the sofa) is very far from the sofa.


    OR do you think a small sectional is better for this room?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    New window treatments--panels hung on a rod with rings. Also, I understand the need for a fan, but the lighting is way too harsh. I'd replace the fan lighting with table or floor lamps. I'd also get a rug to cozy up and warm up the space.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you for your feedback! How about furniture? Should I work with the sofa or look for a small sectional?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I'm not a fan of sectionals unless you have a really big room. I'd work with what you have.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    My initial reaction is to place the sofa in the middle of the room facing the coffee table and fireplace. Place the chair perpendicular to the sofa or in the corner by the fireplace. Isn't that cozier? Purchase a sofa table to go behind the sofa. Have you tried this already? If you leave the sofa where it is change the direction of the coffee table so it is parallel to the sofa, you will need another chair in this case. Lastly you need an area rug, side tables and lamps. Have fun and enjoy the project. Happy Thanksgiving!

  • 8 years ago
    The placement is fine except that the coffee table should be parallel to the sofa.
    The things that will give the room life are an area rug large enough that at least the front legs of all the seating pieces will be on the rug, and art on the walls.
    The rug should not match the color of the furniture, and it can have a pattern or a design or not, as long as you like it and it is large enough.
    You can find art in all price ranges: paintings, prints, posters, or photographs. You can choose a general theme (seascape, landscape, desert, farm or ranch scenes, mountains, fields, ocean, lakes, florals, animals, modern or graphic art. They can be hung at eye level whether hung singly or in groups. They look best framed, but it's not a rule.
    Start with the rug, and then get a few pillows for your sofa and/or chairs and a few accessories which relate to the color of the rug. A large carpet store will probably have area rugs, too. You can also check out HomeGoods, Costco and Houzz.
    Once you find the rug, you can decide on window treatments which play well with the color of the rug and your furniture.
    You don't have to do everything at once.
  • 8 years ago

    I would center the coffee table on the fireplace parallel to the sofa and then pull the sofa out into the room so the coffee table is at a comfortable distance to set down a drink. Then add two chairs in a printed fabric on the other side of the room, also pulled away from the wall. If you decide to leave the sofa against the wall, the coffee table definitely needs to be parallel and placed relative to the sofa, not centered on the fireplace.

  • 8 years ago

    That sofa will be really crowded with end tables squeezed beside it. I would float the sofa where the chair is (facing the FP) 18" from the coffee table which should be parallel to the sofa and fireplace. Angle the chair left of the FP and put a bench under the window for extra seating.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I moved the coffee table parallel to the sofa. The art work shown over the fireplace will go either over the fireplace or over the sofa (not sure what location is better. It still seems weird because if I center the coffee table with the fireplace, the sofa is way too far away (it's 37" from the coffee table as pictured!) However if I pull the sofa from the wall and float it, isn’t that weird since there would just be a very small amount of open space behind it?


    I will be replacing the throw pillows on the sofa FYI. So just looking now, do you think two chairs will work across the sofa (the one pictured will not be used as I want 2 matching chairs)? OR something else? Of course I’ll be getting an area rug underneath.

    I originally had the sofa facing the fireplace but in person this new arrangement really opens up the space.

  • 8 years ago

    ITs a lovely room but the couch needs to come off the wall. Right now it looks like a waiting room and the couch is squeezed in there. I swear it will feel more open if you do. I agree wit you that two chairs opposite the sofa would be nice. I’d get one s that are a bit more airy with legs etc... and place a nice simple table between them. Will you be getting a rug. I think if you get one that fits all the furniture on it it will look wonderful.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Do you think this two chairs will work with the sofa? The color is linen and my sofa is gold.

  • 8 years ago
    Sofa color close up
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Decoenthusiaste has the best layout plan--sofa facing the fireplace, current chair in corner under the left window, nice and cozy with a reading lamp behind it, and a low wood bench under the window for extra seating. You don't need another chair since the space is small and you already have a lot of furniture. What wouldn't you want your sofa facing the fireplace, art, windows, and birdcage, all lovely focal points? The sofa looks squished against the wall.

    Those chairs color don't work together--too similar in value, and the backs are too tall for the room. A rug would really add a lot to the space. Link the colors to the sofa, some new pillows, and your art.


  • 8 years ago

    I'll try that layout. Question though.... is it ok to have the wall open and blank or can I put the large wall art on that big wall?


  • 8 years ago
    How’s this?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    The sofa is much better as you place it now. A console in the back will look nice as well a reading lamp next to your armchair and side tables for the sofa and a rug.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Isn’t this art too small for this wall? It’s actually very large!

    Would a small round side table work to the right of the armchair with a lamp on it? I'm not sure there is room on the sides of the sofa for end tables as it seems like it would be a tight squeeze to walk around them. Is that ok?

  • 8 years ago
    I would keep your sofa, pull out a little from the wall, turn coffee table and have two comfy accent chairs facing sofa with small table between. You could add two small ottomans in front of fire. Pic below to show nice warm cozy colours. An arched floor lamp would be lovely also and one perhaps on small table. Nice space for curling up with a good book.
  • 8 years ago
    Pic
  • 7 years ago

    Bonjour, je suis l’un de vos fans et de vos amants après avoir obtenu votre permission de nier cela et d’avouer que j’ai erré dans votre page. J’aimerais vraiment pouvoir tourner la page et vos mains sont extraordinaires. Je vous souhaite du succès dans votre vie

  • 7 years ago

    End tables aren't necessary; the coffee table serves the purpose for putting things down. The picture isn't too small. Look for a skinny table 25% wider than the art to go under it. A small round side table, or even a ceramic garden stool for color, would work with the chair. Pick up the colors in the art.


    Imax Hamako Ceramic Garden Stool, Blue Finish · More Info