doctorvon

So sick of white kitchens!

doctorvon

I'm so sick of white kitchens! I love contemporary/modern design but am so tired of seeing white kitchens everywhere I look. We recently remodeled our entire home and I'm so glad I went for a bit more drama with gray acrylic cabinets, back painted glass large gray subway tile back splash and white counter tops with gray veining. Am I the only one who feels this way?

All/mostly white
Color - even if it's nuetral

• Sharon Joyce

I have had wood cabinetry and white cabinetry. I would not have white again. However, I was recently feeling overwhelmed (overwooded) by all the natural birch cabinetry in our house. Once I got the advice (thanks @Flo Mangan!) to paint the walls white (BM Oxford White) and our kitchen island black, the remainder of the kitchen cabinetry in birch became a lovely asset.

And yes, doctorvon, I'm bored by all the white kitchens, too. I've enjoyed seeing a recent return to some wood grain cabinetry and more colour in cabinets in shelter magazines, shows and online features! Nothing wrong with a white kitchen if you love it, but it's nice to see some variety!

doctorvon thanked Sharon Joyce
    Featured Answer
  • Simona Stafano
    last year

I personally don’t like white cabinets, nor painted wood. But white is the trend now and that is that. If someone wants your recommendation for trend now, are you going to say oak cabinets and granite? Sales are speaking by itself. White cabinets and quartz...

Has anyone used Bianco Drift quartz with off white kitchen cabinets?

I have determined that white white cabs are simply too bright for my small kitchen. I fell in love with Bianco Drift but I'm wondering if the off white cabs I've decided to go with don't show it off as they should. Hard, even impossible, to tell with the samples I have. I'm going Schrock Coconut cabs. Schrock is a Masterbrand Company so if you have Kemper, Thomasville, Diamond cabs, you likely have seen the Coconut color. It's very close to Medallion's "Divinity" color. When I put Schrock's Coconut next to Divinity, I see a bit more yellow in Divinity. I'd appreciate your comments if you are familiar with Bianco Drift. Thanks.

white marble vs white quartzite for kitchen

We dodged a bullet with Tahiti quartzite. I had selected slabs and they were transported to the fabricator right before a rainy weekend. They sat outside and absorbed a tremendous amount of water. The fabricator was afraid that they would never dry out and suggested that we choose another stone. I loved those slabs and they looked great with my cabinets, but I knew enough from reading on this forum that some quartzites could be extremely porous so it was back to the drawing board. I ended up with polished Tahitian Cream from Daltile Stone - a similar name but completely different quartzite. The Brazilian quarry tag was marked as Nuage Macchio Oro. They've been installed for two years now and there is not one etch, stain, or chip. Tahitian Cream can have a lot of variation and some that I saw were not very pretty. Luckily I found slabs that had quite a bit of white in them. I was more concerned with durability than anything else and this has been a winner.

white kitchen with grey accents or grey kitchen with white accents?

For those who say neither, what do you have? Please share a photo. And if you plan to do a kitchen, what are you doing? People keep saying gray and white is over, yet that it is all I am seeing in new builds. Still going strong in the northeast, and down here in a Florida. I will always have a white kitchen. ( We currently put one in in our Florida home) My opinion is that it’s a classic look and when you google, it comes up on top always.

kitchen cabinet indecision–ikea why can't u make a pure white shaker?

Let me give you a heart-to-heart talk here about the IKEA vs. local custom shop. I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation where we picked a local shop that does outstanding work, but the process has been so incredibly frustrating for an ongoing list of reasons. I wish I could start over and go with a bigger manufacturer. You really do take a risk when you go custom. You don't know if these people are going to walk off with your deposit and then not do any work for half a year and then refuse to refund you or whatever. You also don't know what the quality of the finish will be or if you'll have to end up finishing them yourselves which is a huge hassle. Even if they do construct the boxes accurately, you run into all kinds of issues with hinge quality, drawer slide specifications, and not to mention trim design. It could be a nightmare. If you are willing to go with IKEA, that's a great plan. IKEA has a reputation for offering a lot of "bang for the buck" as they say. If you're on a budget, it's a great way to go. As for the doors, Semihandmade isn't the only company BY FAR that offers doors. Check into Barker, Scherr's, Conestoga, or TaylorCraft Custom Door Company for starters. Don't necessarily limit yourself to Shaker. That's been the standard go-to style for a while, but there are other more modern shapes taking hold in the market. Particularly look at TaylorCraft's smooth profiles in cope-and-stick construction which is a lot less expensive than a mitered door profile. You can get a local woodworker to order and install the doors for you, most preferably someone who has had experience sizing and installing IKEA doors. If you want to get rock-bottom pricing, check with local door makers because there are always people out there making doors for competitive prices. Kitchen cabinetry is a bigger investment than most people expect when starting out on a renovation, so part of the process may simply be adjusting expectations for what the costs will be. Even with IKEA, a $15,000 USD renovation budget would be considered modest once you have the countertop, backsplash, and any flooring installed as well.
  • Storybook Home
    last year
    I love classic white kitchens. I also love classic ivory with black countertops kitchens. (A tiny bit of me wishes I’d gone the ivory route with my new build). I also love wood kitchens, colorful kitchens, etc. Any color scheme can look good or bad.
  • Bethany Dellagnello
    last year

For those who say, "If you don't like them, just don't put a white kitchen in your home", my answer is--It's not that I am complaining about other people's personal choices and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me, it's just that I have a difficult time finding modern kitchen design ideas with color. It's obviously wonderful for everyone to have their own taste, but it's frustrating to search and search for design ideas, kitchens to love and inspire me and products to purchase only to find a sea of white"

• Lars
    last year

Try looking for Italian kitchen designs. You'll see a better mix of colors.

I had a white kitchen in the past and also hated it because it never looked completely clean. White paint is the worst - if the cabinets have a white powder coat finish, it will be more durable, but paints wears thin with constant cleaning.

• Marcos Pinheiro
    last year

I call all white kitchens " The Sack of Flour Exploded" look.

• linalibre

Old thread, yes, but given that the white trend keeps taking the home scene by snowstorm, still a valid topic!

My solution--Fewer cabinet doors. The few doors I have are glass (total of 3); no lower cabinet doors at all but unconcealed, open pull-outs (a built-in china cupboard and lower sink cab being the exceptions). Almost all upper cabinetry consists of open cabinet boxes, not "open shelves" per se, but cabinets with the doors removed--totally eliminates the "grime" question, and glassware is so pretty, why hide it? Overall cabinetry is clear maple with a satin clear-coat, super-easy to clean; future damage can be sanded/refinished as needed. The few handles needed (high-use drawers, and the trash and sink tip-outs) are all super-long bars so that dirty hands correctly grab the hardware and not the cabinetry--PLUS each one has a dishtowel for clean grabs. I notice that in the photo above of the dirty white cabinet door, the hardware is located in the wrong place so people grab the corner of the door rather than the handle. That's an ergonomic issue that can be fixed! (Or--just remove the door!)

After years of remodeling kitchens, I've gotten very practical, but my "idea book" of beautiful kitchens has inspired some trendy inclusions because I too love the brightness that's so popular. In our current iteration (a major remodel of an 1890's farmhouse), we combined clear wood with white trim. Timeless, gorgeous, super-easy to clean. A vaulted ceiling (white-painted planks) adds to the open, bright look. But never again would I do an "all-white" kitchen.

Do what you like, experiment, learn from your own efforts, and keep going. You can swap out doors or paint them. You can remove doors. You can redo almost anything. Trends change and we change too. Enjoy!

PS Even our walk-in pantry has no door! I LOVE seeing the neatly labeled containers all lined up...ready to grab... Why hide my admirable organization? ;-)

• Gargamel

I hate wood cabinets that have been painted white. The vast majority of times the kitchen would have looked better with changes other than painting the cabinets. Other than that, I love white and I love wood and I love formica and I love metal

• Trish Walter

white kitchens and wood kitchens are more timeless than gray in my opinion. but who cares. get what you love.

• Helen

Coincidentally the NY Times had the following article

Could the Avocado-Green Kitchen Make a Comeback?

The days of the all-white kitchen and plain stainless-steel appliances may be numbered.

My friend and I discussed this. Although there are some gorgeous white kitchens, I think many middle class people opt for white because it is a safe choice. Most middle class people don't have the money to remodel a kitchen solely because it is not their current aesthetic ideal and/or feel afraid they might turn off potential buyers.

I think wealthy people are more likely to take chances because they have the means to remodel if it suits them and also because it is more than likely that when they sell, the kitchen will be gutted anyway so resale is not a factor. I don't think it coincidental that the really high end kitchen designers like Christopher Peacock and Smallbones have been moving off the white - and gray - for the past few years.

I recently finished a remodel and opted for a "colored" kitchen - at my first meeting, I told my designer - no white, no gray, no beige :-). I love the result - it's very personal to my taste as I wasn't worried about pleasing a potential buyer and I am old enough to know that I am not particularly fickle in my tastes. Ironically, the kitchen I gutted was pink and gray - I had done it inexpensively when I moved into my condo by painting the walls and cabinets pink and using gray formica for the counters with some black accents LOL Sic transit trends ha ha. Before I painted, the kitchen was a beautiful shade of harvest gold - a companion trend to avocado green :-).

• Steph H

I love my white kitchen. White goes with everything. It’s so easy to accessorize. I’ve always loved white. I don’t like to knock things because they are popular- usually there’s a good reason things are popular! Being different is fun too. There’s room for everyone’s taste and no need to knock people down.

• Michelle Rizzo

I agree!! I am REALLY SICK of white kitchens, ugly white cabinets, ugh! I'm looking to buy a place and won't even consider looking at a property if it has a white kitchen! Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, that seems to be all the rage right now. I so do not get it. White is sterile and cold and it's extremely impractical -- shows up every little fingerprint and grease splash. It's beyond me that people are doing this. There are lots of places I might have seriously considered buying except that it had a white kitchen and I know I will not have money right away to replace it, but I cannot, will not live with a white kitchen. Give me wood cabinets, some nice cherry would be lovely. NO MORE FREAKING WHITE KITCHENS!!

• Helen

Just shows why it might not make sense to remodel SOLELY in anticipation of resale. @Michelle Rizzo would probably have preferred an old ugly kitchen with a commensurate reduction in purchase price :-)

• oldryder

I am a fabricator. I do lots of white kitchens. they make the kitchen look like a dentist's office. Fine with me as those kitchens will be excellent candidates for replacement 10 years from now when white kitchens are dated. Think of shag carpeting; very popular but 10 years later people were ripping it out all over then place.

• linalibre

Helen, I agree: Some of us would absolutely prefer a price reduction and the carte blanche to put in the kitchen of our OWN dreams. When I was househunting my heart would fall as I beheld rehab after rehab done the way the house-flipper figured "I" (or some other "Mrs. America") wanted it--the latest trendy cookie-cutter same-ole same-ole saw-it-on-Pinterest and Love-It-Or-List-It colors/tile/lighting/counters in house after house, already (to my bored eye) looked dated. And of course the price of the house was commensurate with the fancy-schmancy redo. I'd rather be handed the budget and do it my way, enjoy it for 8-30 years, and let someone else do the same. Statistically, most of us do eventually, anyway--usually within the first 5 years. And if not then, then absolutely when the housewrecking kids are gone!

The Kitchen Place

Being in the kitchen and bath industry for 37 years, I've always looked for the 'diamond in the rough'. The nastier the kitchens and baths, the more $$$ I would make upon resell. I love remodeling but it petrifies so many! You'd be surprised at the number of people that want everything done in a home.

Regarding white....I think its trendy but not a fad. There's no way it will go down to the level of the 70s shag. White is classic like Ralph Lauren clothing.

• Helen

@The Kitchen Place - While I agree that there certainly are people who want a turn-key home, I question the economics of someone doing a major remodel for the purpose of resale UNLESS they are in the business or somehow can get the costs for a kitchen or bath remodel done less inexpensively than amateurs - and amateurs who aren't contributing significant DIY in lieu of hiring trades people.

Whenever I see any show which features costs for a kitchen/bath remodel I just snort because the figures do not represent a realistic cost of what the average homeowner would actually wind up spending for the equivalent remodel. Any those shows run the gamut from the relatively high end Restored to the pretty chintzy Unsellable Homes.

Also - at least for me - when I view homes that have been flipped, I can see how the flipper cheaped out on functionality without even taking into consideration whether I like the aesthetic results. Generally there are no or few lower drawers - corner cabinets appear to just open - sinks are generally cheap evenly divided double bowls etc. I don't even want to think about what kind of compromises were made in terms of stuff that is "behind the scenes".

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I have a beautiful modern, white kitchen. I have always liked white kitchens with marble or soapstone ocunters,but even I have started to tire of them. I have no plans for changing mine, mind you, but I would be happy to select something different next time.

• momof5x

Mine is a milky cream and the outside kitchen is dark green.

• Tarelle Williams

I'm so sick of looking at white kitchens. I'm looking for a new home and every one is rejected because of those white kitchens, I want warm oak cabinets not white cabinets. And what's with those farmhouse sinks? I don't live on a farm and don't want that sink. I want the side by side, same sized sinks.

• cpartist

Side by side sinks are absolutely the worst. 90% of the people tear out those sinks to put in a large single under mount sink or a farmhouse sink. If you are on the shorter side there is nothing better than a farmhouse sink, btw

• Steph H

I like my side by side sink. We put it in a year ago.

• aliceingardenland

I love white kitchen cabinets. I have had them for the last 26 years in 3 different homes. I love how light and bright everything feels. I like how I can change accent colors so easily. I like how I can paint the walls around them different colors for contrast. I like how they go with my floors. I had them before it was "in" and I will continue to have them after the trend has passed.

• Design Girl

I LOVE white kitchens. To me, they aren't a fad or trend. They've been around forever and will be around forever. What I am sick of is gray, gray, gray (talk about a trend). To each his own.

• maniirani

I hear you. We recently remodeled my husband's childhood home and went for bold tiles.

• Jar G

White kitchens have been around forever and they will always be around. I really dont understand why doctorvon decided to start this thread. Sounds like someone feels self-conscious about their kitchen not being common and is crapping on others in other to make them feel better about themselves.

• Simona Stafano

Jar:) are you really asking this question:) look new houses for sale, look home improvements shows, ask a designer and you will see why. I called couple quotes for countertop change - they all try to tell me to paint my cabinets white, change them to white and put whitish countertops. If it is not white it will be light gray or something else as a solid color in light neutral color. These are trends and some people have an opinion and don’t like it. For example I like wood cabinets, not painted any solid color, everything wood but not oak. I don’t like the oak grain for some reason on floors, cabinets or anywhere else. I like marble like tiles and in a million years I don’t like the tiles again used as bold choice above. So, if I have to buy a house now and see the painted cabinets and bold looking tile- I don’t like it. But it is what it is.

doctorvon thanked Simona Stafano
  • Jar G

Simona - Just because home renovation TV shows and designers push white cabinets does not mean it is a trend. I’ve been following kitchen design for nearly 10 years and white cabinets have been common throughout that time. That’s a pretty long “trend.” Further, white cabinets were popular even before then. Can you really call something trendy if it’s been popular for 15-20 years if not longer? I think at that point it’s more classic than trendy.

No doubt people are entitled to an opinion. I’m not denying that. I just don’t see the point of coming in here and crapping over a design many people have enjoyed over the years. if you don’t like something, then don’t use the design in your kitchen. Coming in here to complain about a design that you haven’t used in your kitchen just screams of insecurity. To me it says you aren‘t confident in your own tastes and are upset you aren’t receiving validation about your design choices. it’s petty and immature.

• maniirani

Exactly, I plan on living in this house for years and wanted something more fun in my kitchen...and more me. You're allowed to have opinions. Many people will not like my bold kitchen floor tiles and that's okay. I am the one who has to live in the house at the end of the day.

doctorvon thanked maniirani
  • Robbin Capers

I agree. I don't care whether it's a trend or a classic look; white cabinets, white counters, white walls, and the overall prevalence of 'transitional' or otherwise cookie-cutter personality-free spaces makes me gag. Just looks like someone couldn't make a decision. This doesn't go for all white kitchens of course but it does for many. I'm a Scandi/Boho/Jungalow kind of gal and not everyone is, but please can we have a little color! Some wood! A plant! Real art! Show me that this house exists in a real time and place and is connected to the Earth and not floating in a void!

doctorvon thanked Robbin Capers
  • maniirani

@Jar G - I've been following kitchen designs for 20 years (sheez, I'm old), so ha! Even though I'm obsessed with interior design and have been watching endless interior design shows for years, I would never consider myself to be an expert in interior design. If I only had half the talent of those professionals I see on television, and of those who I've met in real life, but I do feel like I'm seeing the same kitchen from show to show (most of them still look beautiful though) and it gets boring. I don't think doctorvon's post was in no way an 'attack' on white kitchens, nor did it highlight this person's insecurities (not sure where that came from), but I see doctorvon's point on the extreme usage of white countertops on white shakers on white subway tiles.

doctorvon thanked maniirani
  • doctorvon

Wow - I had no idea that more than two years later my post would ignite such passionate comments! I was in the middle of a major remodel, trying to come up with kitchen ideas and whether I watched a home improvement show, visited a showroom, or talked with a designer, everyone was steering me toward white on white on white. I was simply saying it was frustrating at the time to have everyone trying to push me in the same direction and wanted options. Not only were my comments not meant to be condescending, I even offered a poll on which others could post their views. I was, and still am, sick of white kitchens and I'm excited about the new, deep color trend. In no way was I "crapping on others", don't need a forum of strangers to "feel better" about myself, am confident in my decisions, don't need validation, am not petty, nor immature. As a professor of psychology I find those comments rather comical. We're talking kitchens here for heaven's sake, not mental health!

• Steph H

doctorvon, those insults probably weren’t aimed at you but at people saying white kitchens look like “dentists offices” and the like. I can totally understand why anyone, with any type of kitchen (white, wood tones, or whatever)could be defensive of harsh criticisms since kitchen remodels are usually significant investments and no one likes to be told their choices will assuredly be”ripped out” after a few years because they are a huge mistake and ugly or boring.

doctorvon thanked Steph H
  • salex

@doctorvon, I found your thread refreshing when you first started it because my aesthetic is more similar to yours than to those who love white kitchens. And I agree, it's hard to find inspiration when everything seems to be targeted toward creating more white kitchens!

Here is another great thread that I found inspiring: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5717017/why-do-all-the-kitchens-look-the-same#n=647

That thread, and yours, led to people to refer to themselves as the "Color Club", which in turn gave me the confidence to do what felt, to me, like a bold and colorful backsplash in my kitchen.

PS: I know you know this, but just to hear it again: don't take internet criticism personally. I appreciate your contribution here.

doctorvon thanked salex
  • doctorvon

Color club huh? I love it! Thanks!

• Sunny Melons

I hate white cabinets, and have them in our house, but I'm not what you'd call a "good adult" or a "good housewife," so the white just gets dirty and I have to clean it, whatever "cleaning" is... Ha ha!!! :-(

That being said, I think the hard fixtures like tile backsplash, cabinets, countertops, and floors are probably better in neutral colors if you're planning on selling the house. Easier/cheaper to paint the walls than change anything more permanent. Having said that, I will have a bold tile backsplash when/if we finally redo our kitchen. Lower cabinets will probably be dark, uppers a medium/light neutral color, probably gray, maybe a seafoam or something.

doctorvon thanked Sunny Melons
  • Bernie

@doctorvon I came across your post after googling “bored by white kitchens“. My frustration is partly that each showroom we walk into seems to offer white/grey, mainstream media renovation TV shows seem to default to white, and it feels like every home in the land has a white kitchen. Personally, and I can only speak for myself, I want my home to feel like my own. I don’t want an identical kitchen any more than I want every person on the street to wear the same coat as me. It freaks me out, if I’m being brutally honest, that the mass market is buying exactly the same thing. Primarily, I (again, personally) find white to be bland, and I can’t bear the phrase “pop of colour” when used on design shows because I prefer when colours/hues blend and provide ambience - I don’t (personally) want an all-white-everything kitchen with... red tea towels. Apologies to everyone with red tea towels - that’s a mother-in-law joke ;) I’m longing for gentle ash/light oak wood on the cabinets... dusty stone on the counters. Truthfully, the only thing keeping me from this is budget - which, again, gives me negative concerns (no doubt unfairly and inaccurately) about white kitchens i.e. have they become the the fast-fashion equivalent of kitchens? Are the kitchen showrooms just churning out white kitchens and we’re not complaining? Himself and I are going to save a bit more, so we can cash-flow the look that we want because, if we don’t, it seems our options will be white, off-white, less-white, white-ish, I Can’t Believe it‘s Not White, grey (he has vetoed), or sage (I have vetoed) :D

doctorvon thanked Bernie
  • decker1018

Doctorvon I would love to see pictures of what you ended up doing!!!

doctorvon thanked decker1018
  • doctorvon

I'll post a few photos but I'm not much of a photographer! I tried to show the under cabinet lighting - I made it blue for the photo, but I can choose from two dozen colors.

• salex

Your kitchen looks gorgeous and functional! I bet it's fun to play with the colored mood lighting. And I like your stainless steel toe kicks - I had never seen the appeal until I saw your photos, but they look great (and of course I'm sure they're durable and tough as nails).

doctorvon thanked salex
  • decker1018

LOVE it!!! Awesome job!!!

doctorvon thanked decker1018
  • Bernie

@doctorvon Well done! Hope you're delighted with the outcome!

doctorvon thanked Bernie
  • Jar G

Doctorvon - I find it a bit funny you take exception to white kitchens. Where I am from, the style of your kitchen is the prototype for every newly built luxury apartment building downtown.

• terry dinkel

Doctorvon, I'm with YOU! Everyone seems to have white cabinets, SO stereotypical. I'm in the process of a new custom build and went with cabinets in dark gray and can see wood grain, white cabinets never were a thought as every kitchen I see has white cabinets.

Love your kitchen!

• Carrie B

I originally wanted natural wood cabinets... and wood floors. I love wood, but... enough is enough. Also, I live in an old Philadelphia rowhome - they tend to be dark and small, and I didn't want to (over) rely on artificial lighting for brightness - my OLD kitchen was dark & I didn't want to go from dark to more dark. Plus, while I love wood, I find the in-fashion grey terribly depressing and dull.

So, I went with white cabinets and I love them for their bright neutrality. I got my wood floor. Now I'm having the same dilemma as I design my bathroom remodel. I'm drawn to big dark floor tiles... and to dark blue vanities. But there's only one smallish window and I don't like dark being the dominant feeling.

• Jar G

@terry dinkel Stereotypical of what? I think you’re misusing that term. Maybe you meant common?

As for white cabinets, some of us prefer to choose what we like rather than deciding to be different for the sake of being different. Call me strange but I have enough confidence in myself to make choices based on what I like without worrying about what other people are doing.

• terry dinkel

Jar G, OK common/typical/run of the mill if you want to critique my comment...I commented on Doctorvon "I'm so sick of white kitchens" that is the topic here, you choose what you like rather than deciding to be different as you stated, sounds like you're pretty confident with your choice, it is strange that you take my comment so personal, now move along...

• Jar G

Now move along?? Wow I thought your initial posting was pretty dismissive, but you've taken it to a new level. I wonder if you're projecting with your insinuations. Did I hit a nerve and get too personal?

• terry dinkel

No nerves hit here, as for you on the other hand with your comment to Doctorvon" I find it a bit funny you take exception to white kitchens. Where I am from, the style of your kitchen is the prototype for every newly built luxury apartment building downtown" and now your response to my comment on white kitchens? Your nerves are being hammered so yes, move along...

• Jar G

@terry dinkel Its really not becoming of you to be so dismissive. It’s funny you bring up my previous comment. I think I sense a bit of concern that your attempt to be different for the sake of being different might turn out to be “stereotypical“ and then you wouldn’t get the praise from other you so clearly desire. How about this? I pat you on the head and tell you how amazingly unique your kitchen is and you can move along having gotten the validation you need so badly.

• terry dinkel

Jar G your obsessed and bored, you're being a proponent for white kitchens and really making white kitchen lovers look bad in the end, get along...