doctorvon

So sick of white kitchens!

doctorvon

I'm so sick of white kitchens! I love contemporary/modern design but am so tired of seeing white kitchens everywhere I look. We recently remodeled our entire home and I'm so glad I went for a bit more drama with gray acrylic cabinets, back painted glass large gray subway tile back splash and white counter tops with gray veining. Am I the only one who feels this way?

All/mostly white
Color - even if it's nuetral

• Steph H
    last year

I love my white kitchen. White goes with everything. It’s so easy to accessorize. I’ve always loved white. I don’t like to knock things because they are popular- usually there’s a good reason things are popular! Being different is fun too. There’s room for everyone’s taste and no need to knock people down.

• Michelle Rizzo
    last year

I agree!! I am REALLY SICK of white kitchens, ugly white cabinets, ugh! I'm looking to buy a place and won't even consider looking at a property if it has a white kitchen! Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason, that seems to be all the rage right now. I so do not get it. White is sterile and cold and it's extremely impractical -- shows up every little fingerprint and grease splash. It's beyond me that people are doing this. There are lots of places I might have seriously considered buying except that it had a white kitchen and I know I will not have money right away to replace it, but I cannot, will not live with a white kitchen. Give me wood cabinets, some nice cherry would be lovely. NO MORE FREAKING WHITE KITCHENS!!

Building a new home white kitchen cabinets but sick of ss appliances

BTW, Taban, just for the record, I do not think that SS is a fad. It is far too versatile--so much more so than even neutral colors like black and white. So until they find a neutral metallic finish that is impervious to fingerprints, I think SS is going to be around for awhile. But that doesn't mean YOU have to like it or put it in your kitchen. I just wanted to explain why I think nothing else has superseded it quite yet. Now, if they start offering refrigerators and dishwashers in the same wide array of color and metallic options that Viking has, I'm willing to declare the death of SS.

(Scaling) My Hubby is getting SICK of this empty room (SO AM I!!)

Have you considered putting a chair each side of the fireplace? I'm thinking something with a nice scolled arm that invites you to collapse in it maybe with little footstools. Vintage leather or similar style, something soft and cosy. Angle the chairs of course and pull them forward a touch to get them to the edge of the rug if you can, then a couch of some description facing the fireplace but make sure theres plenty of room either side so you can walk by comfortably (think door/hallway width). Then because the back of the couch would face the entrance to the room, put a console/sofa table behind it. Tables with a shelf underneath are great. Use the lower shelf for books and the top for decorating (picture frames, maybe a lamp or vase. The console and chairs would be what people see first so put accents/colours there. This also leaves all your windows free to show them off and so people can admire whatever the view is as they will walk past them every time they enter the room. If theres room put your little bench between the arched windows and consider having squab cushions made for the arched windows if you think they make ok seating in a pinch. Pictures over the chairs and mirror over fireplace.

Kitchen Remodel: From White to dark Luxury (puppies not included)

Sigh. Isn't it just amazing and gorgeous and wonderful and I think the colors were chosen to go with the dogs. In my dreams a kitchen like this is in my house! Job. Well. Done.

Sick of kitchen nook!

Janie, I don't mind a harsher critique at all, I like honesty in every aspect of life. I'm not sure if you read the entire thread or not. I went from a very large house to this small condo. I gave away so, so much and only kept those pieces I loved, needed or had sentimental value. My parents have both passed away, then my brother, which leaves me with no family but lots of memories. That's where I was wondering how many things we hold onto for emotional reasons, "form and function" doesn't play in. I am currently purging. I use that table so rarely, I could even drop both leaves, push it against the wall, have a couple of chairs on each side and only open it when I have more than two dining. It's the main purpose currently is (place to sit groceries, dog leash, keys, etc..) I'm calling it a nook, but it's actually my only dining space and it's just me. No family, husband or kids. A lot of friends, but we usually eat out. This all started with someone "mocking" my plate collection and shaming me.
  • Helen
    last year

Just shows why it might not make sense to remodel SOLELY in anticipation of resale. @Michelle Rizzo would probably have preferred an old ugly kitchen with a commensurate reduction in purchase price :-)

• oldryder
    last year

I am a fabricator. I do lots of white kitchens. they make the kitchen look like a dentist's office. Fine with me as those kitchens will be excellent candidates for replacement 10 years from now when white kitchens are dated. Think of shag carpeting; very popular but 10 years later people were ripping it out all over then place.

• linalibre
    last year

Helen, I agree: Some of us would absolutely prefer a price reduction and the carte blanche to put in the kitchen of our OWN dreams. When I was househunting my heart would fall as I beheld rehab after rehab done the way the house-flipper figured "I" (or some other "Mrs. America") wanted it--the latest trendy cookie-cutter same-ole same-ole saw-it-on-Pinterest and Love-It-Or-List-It colors/tile/lighting/counters in house after house, already (to my bored eye) looked dated. And of course the price of the house was commensurate with the fancy-schmancy redo. I'd rather be handed the budget and do it my way, enjoy it for 8-30 years, and let someone else do the same. Statistically, most of us do eventually, anyway--usually within the first 5 years. And if not then, then absolutely when the housewrecking kids are gone!

The Kitchen Place
    last year

Being in the kitchen and bath industry for 37 years, I've always looked for the 'diamond in the rough'. The nastier the kitchens and baths, the more $$$ I would make upon resell. I love remodeling but it petrifies so many! You'd be surprised at the number of people that want everything done in a home.

Regarding white....I think its trendy but not a fad. There's no way it will go down to the level of the 70s shag. White is classic like Ralph Lauren clothing.

• Helen
    last year

@The Kitchen Place - While I agree that there certainly are people who want a turn-key home, I question the economics of someone doing a major remodel for the purpose of resale UNLESS they are in the business or somehow can get the costs for a kitchen or bath remodel done less inexpensively than amateurs - and amateurs who aren't contributing significant DIY in lieu of hiring trades people.

Whenever I see any show which features costs for a kitchen/bath remodel I just snort because the figures do not represent a realistic cost of what the average homeowner would actually wind up spending for the equivalent remodel. Any those shows run the gamut from the relatively high end Restored to the pretty chintzy Unsellable Homes.

Also - at least for me - when I view homes that have been flipped, I can see how the flipper cheaped out on functionality without even taking into consideration whether I like the aesthetic results. Generally there are no or few lower drawers - corner cabinets appear to just open - sinks are generally cheap evenly divided double bowls etc. I don't even want to think about what kind of compromises were made in terms of stuff that is "behind the scenes".

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I have a beautiful modern, white kitchen. I have always liked white kitchens with marble or soapstone ocunters,but even I have started to tire of them. I have no plans for changing mine, mind you, but I would be happy to select something different next time.

• momof5x
    last year

Mine is a milky cream and the outside kitchen is dark green.

• Tarelle Williams
    last year

I'm so sick of looking at white kitchens. I'm looking for a new home and every one is rejected because of those white kitchens, I want warm oak cabinets not white cabinets. And what's with those farmhouse sinks? I don't live on a farm and don't want that sink. I want the side by side, same sized sinks.

• cpartist
    last year

Side by side sinks are absolutely the worst. 90% of the people tear out those sinks to put in a large single under mount sink or a farmhouse sink. If you are on the shorter side there is nothing better than a farmhouse sink, btw

• Steph H
    last year

I like my side by side sink. We put it in a year ago.

• aliceingardenland
    last year

I love white kitchen cabinets. I have had them for the last 26 years in 3 different homes. I love how light and bright everything feels. I like how I can change accent colors so easily. I like how I can paint the walls around them different colors for contrast. I like how they go with my floors. I had them before it was "in" and I will continue to have them after the trend has passed.

• Design Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

I LOVE white kitchens. To me, they aren't a fad or trend. They've been around forever and will be around forever. What I am sick of is gray, gray, gray (talk about a trend). To each his own.

• maniirani
    last year

I hear you. We recently remodeled my husband's childhood home and went for bold tiles.

• Jar G
    last year

White kitchens have been around forever and they will always be around. I really dont understand why doctorvon decided to start this thread. Sounds like someone feels self-conscious about their kitchen not being common and is crapping on others in other to make them feel better about themselves.

• Simona Stafano
    last year

Jar:) are you really asking this question:) look new houses for sale, look home improvements shows, ask a designer and you will see why. I called couple quotes for countertop change - they all try to tell me to paint my cabinets white, change them to white and put whitish countertops. If it is not white it will be light gray or something else as a solid color in light neutral color. These are trends and some people have an opinion and don’t like it. For example I like wood cabinets, not painted any solid color, everything wood but not oak. I don’t like the oak grain for some reason on floors, cabinets or anywhere else. I like marble like tiles and in a million years I don’t like the tiles again used as bold choice above. So, if I have to buy a house now and see the painted cabinets and bold looking tile- I don’t like it. But it is what it is.

doctorvon thanked Simona Stafano
  • Jar G
    last year
    last modified: last year

Simona - Just because home renovation TV shows and designers push white cabinets does not mean it is a trend. I’ve been following kitchen design for nearly 10 years and white cabinets have been common throughout that time. That’s a pretty long “trend.” Further, white cabinets were popular even before then. Can you really call something trendy if it’s been popular for 15-20 years if not longer? I think at that point it’s more classic than trendy.

No doubt people are entitled to an opinion. I’m not denying that. I just don’t see the point of coming in here and crapping over a design many people have enjoyed over the years. if you don’t like something, then don’t use the design in your kitchen. Coming in here to complain about a design that you haven’t used in your kitchen just screams of insecurity. To me it says you aren‘t confident in your own tastes and are upset you aren’t receiving validation about your design choices. it’s petty and immature.

• maniirani
    last year

Exactly, I plan on living in this house for years and wanted something more fun in my kitchen...and more me. You're allowed to have opinions. Many people will not like my bold kitchen floor tiles and that's okay. I am the one who has to live in the house at the end of the day.

doctorvon thanked maniirani
  • Robbin Capers
    last year

I agree. I don't care whether it's a trend or a classic look; white cabinets, white counters, white walls, and the overall prevalence of 'transitional' or otherwise cookie-cutter personality-free spaces makes me gag. Just looks like someone couldn't make a decision. This doesn't go for all white kitchens of course but it does for many. I'm a Scandi/Boho/Jungalow kind of gal and not everyone is, but please can we have a little color! Some wood! A plant! Real art! Show me that this house exists in a real time and place and is connected to the Earth and not floating in a void!

doctorvon thanked Robbin Capers
  • maniirani
    last year

@Jar G - I've been following kitchen designs for 20 years (sheez, I'm old), so ha! Even though I'm obsessed with interior design and have been watching endless interior design shows for years, I would never consider myself to be an expert in interior design. If I only had half the talent of those professionals I see on television, and of those who I've met in real life, but I do feel like I'm seeing the same kitchen from show to show (most of them still look beautiful though) and it gets boring. I don't think doctorvon's post was in no way an 'attack' on white kitchens, nor did it highlight this person's insecurities (not sure where that came from), but I see doctorvon's point on the extreme usage of white countertops on white shakers on white subway tiles.

doctorvon thanked maniirani
  • doctorvon
    last year

Wow - I had no idea that more than two years later my post would ignite such passionate comments! I was in the middle of a major remodel, trying to come up with kitchen ideas and whether I watched a home improvement show, visited a showroom, or talked with a designer, everyone was steering me toward white on white on white. I was simply saying it was frustrating at the time to have everyone trying to push me in the same direction and wanted options. Not only were my comments not meant to be condescending, I even offered a poll on which others could post their views. I was, and still am, sick of white kitchens and I'm excited about the new, deep color trend. In no way was I "crapping on others", don't need a forum of strangers to "feel better" about myself, am confident in my decisions, don't need validation, am not petty, nor immature. As a professor of psychology I find those comments rather comical. We're talking kitchens here for heaven's sake, not mental health!

• Steph H
    last year

doctorvon, those insults probably weren’t aimed at you but at people saying white kitchens look like “dentists offices” and the like. I can totally understand why anyone, with any type of kitchen (white, wood tones, or whatever)could be defensive of harsh criticisms since kitchen remodels are usually significant investments and no one likes to be told their choices will assuredly be”ripped out” after a few years because they are a huge mistake and ugly or boring.

doctorvon thanked Steph H
  • salex
    last year
    last modified: last year

@doctorvon, I found your thread refreshing when you first started it because my aesthetic is more similar to yours than to those who love white kitchens. And I agree, it's hard to find inspiration when everything seems to be targeted toward creating more white kitchens!

Here is another great thread that I found inspiring: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5717017/why-do-all-the-kitchens-look-the-same#n=647

That thread, and yours, led to people to refer to themselves as the "Color Club", which in turn gave me the confidence to do what felt, to me, like a bold and colorful backsplash in my kitchen.

PS: I know you know this, but just to hear it again: don't take internet criticism personally. I appreciate your contribution here.

doctorvon thanked salex
  • doctorvon
    last year

Color club huh? I love it! Thanks!

• Sunny Melons
    last year
    last modified: last year

I hate white cabinets, and have them in our house, but I'm not what you'd call a "good adult" or a "good housewife," so the white just gets dirty and I have to clean it, whatever "cleaning" is... Ha ha!!! :-(

That being said, I think the hard fixtures like tile backsplash, cabinets, countertops, and floors are probably better in neutral colors if you're planning on selling the house. Easier/cheaper to paint the walls than change anything more permanent. Having said that, I will have a bold tile backsplash when/if we finally redo our kitchen. Lower cabinets will probably be dark, uppers a medium/light neutral color, probably gray, maybe a seafoam or something.

doctorvon thanked Sunny Melons
  • Bernie
    last year

@doctorvon I came across your post after googling “bored by white kitchens“. My frustration is partly that each showroom we walk into seems to offer white/grey, mainstream media renovation TV shows seem to default to white, and it feels like every home in the land has a white kitchen. Personally, and I can only speak for myself, I want my home to feel like my own. I don’t want an identical kitchen any more than I want every person on the street to wear the same coat as me. It freaks me out, if I’m being brutally honest, that the mass market is buying exactly the same thing. Primarily, I (again, personally) find white to be bland, and I can’t bear the phrase “pop of colour” when used on design shows because I prefer when colours/hues blend and provide ambience - I don’t (personally) want an all-white-everything kitchen with... red tea towels. Apologies to everyone with red tea towels - that’s a mother-in-law joke ;) I’m longing for gentle ash/light oak wood on the cabinets... dusty stone on the counters. Truthfully, the only thing keeping me from this is budget - which, again, gives me negative concerns (no doubt unfairly and inaccurately) about white kitchens i.e. have they become the the fast-fashion equivalent of kitchens? Are the kitchen showrooms just churning out white kitchens and we’re not complaining? Himself and I are going to save a bit more, so we can cash-flow the look that we want because, if we don’t, it seems our options will be white, off-white, less-white, white-ish, I Can’t Believe it‘s Not White, grey (he has vetoed), or sage (I have vetoed) :D

doctorvon thanked Bernie
  • decker1018
    last year

Doctorvon I would love to see pictures of what you ended up doing!!!

doctorvon thanked decker1018
  • doctorvon
    last year

I'll post a few photos but I'm not much of a photographer! I tried to show the under cabinet lighting - I made it blue for the photo, but I can choose from two dozen colors.

• salex
    last year

Your kitchen looks gorgeous and functional! I bet it's fun to play with the colored mood lighting. And I like your stainless steel toe kicks - I had never seen the appeal until I saw your photos, but they look great (and of course I'm sure they're durable and tough as nails).

doctorvon thanked salex
  • decker1018
    last year

LOVE it!!! Awesome job!!!

doctorvon thanked decker1018
  • Bernie
    last year

@doctorvon Well done! Hope you're delighted with the outcome!

doctorvon thanked Bernie
  • Jar G
    last year

Doctorvon - I find it a bit funny you take exception to white kitchens. Where I am from, the style of your kitchen is the prototype for every newly built luxury apartment building downtown.

• terry dinkel
    last year

Doctorvon, I'm with YOU! Everyone seems to have white cabinets, SO stereotypical. I'm in the process of a new custom build and went with cabinets in dark gray and can see wood grain, white cabinets never were a thought as every kitchen I see has white cabinets.

Love your kitchen!

• Carrie B
    last year

I originally wanted natural wood cabinets... and wood floors. I love wood, but... enough is enough. Also, I live in an old Philadelphia rowhome - they tend to be dark and small, and I didn't want to (over) rely on artificial lighting for brightness - my OLD kitchen was dark & I didn't want to go from dark to more dark. Plus, while I love wood, I find the in-fashion grey terribly depressing and dull.

So, I went with white cabinets and I love them for their bright neutrality. I got my wood floor. Now I'm having the same dilemma as I design my bathroom remodel. I'm drawn to big dark floor tiles... and to dark blue vanities. But there's only one smallish window and I don't like dark being the dominant feeling.

• Jar G
    last year

@terry dinkel Stereotypical of what? I think you’re misusing that term. Maybe you meant common?

As for white cabinets, some of us prefer to choose what we like rather than deciding to be different for the sake of being different. Call me strange but I have enough confidence in myself to make choices based on what I like without worrying about what other people are doing.

• terry dinkel
    last year

Jar G, OK common/typical/run of the mill if you want to critique my comment...I commented on Doctorvon "I'm so sick of white kitchens" that is the topic here, you choose what you like rather than deciding to be different as you stated, sounds like you're pretty confident with your choice, it is strange that you take my comment so personal, now move along...

• Jar G
    last year

Now move along?? Wow I thought your initial posting was pretty dismissive, but you've taken it to a new level. I wonder if you're projecting with your insinuations. Did I hit a nerve and get too personal?

• terry dinkel
    last year

No nerves hit here, as for you on the other hand with your comment to Doctorvon" I find it a bit funny you take exception to white kitchens. Where I am from, the style of your kitchen is the prototype for every newly built luxury apartment building downtown" and now your response to my comment on white kitchens? Your nerves are being hammered so yes, move along...

• Jar G
    last year

@terry dinkel Its really not becoming of you to be so dismissive. It’s funny you bring up my previous comment. I think I sense a bit of concern that your attempt to be different for the sake of being different might turn out to be “stereotypical“ and then you wouldn’t get the praise from other you so clearly desire. How about this? I pat you on the head and tell you how amazingly unique your kitchen is and you can move along having gotten the validation you need so badly.

• terry dinkel
    last year

Jar G your obsessed and bored, you're being a proponent for white kitchens and really making white kitchen lovers look bad in the end, get along...

doctorvon thanked terry dinkel
  • Denise E

I’m late here’s my take. It seems some use the term dated for wood/oak cabinets. Which may be offensive to those who love it. It’s white or you are dated. if two types of cabinets let’s say white and wood have been around 15 or 20 years, would not both be dated? or classic? I don’t do trends, don’t watch remodeling show, believe me I’ve tried we just don’t see the same vision.

I say put thought in your remodeling if you love it you can live with it for years to come. I have oak ( light granite

• katmumn

I'm not necessarily tired of white kitchens, even though I currently have stained cabinets. I am thinking of painting them shortly, probably not white truthfully. The thing I would most like to see is more individuality in general in kitchens. I get that a kitchen, and cabinets especially are a big investment, but for me what the recent white kitchen movement has represented is a movement towards sameness. A lot of the HGTV shows seem to present very similar designs. I like to see kitchens that tell me something about the person who cooks there. Are they a baker? Do they make big family meals? Is it an old home? White kitchens will always be classic, and there are some stained wood kitchens that stop me in my tracks. Rift-sawn oak or a beautiful walnut gets me everytime. There's room for everyone. I mostly want to know something about the people who live in a home, but maybe that's just me.

• Concerned Citizen

White isn't for me. Whatever is out on the counter and messy will be the focal point. Also, I tend to think it looks like the scene of an experiment or autopsy. I think it is popular because real wood and wood grain is too expensive nowadays. I bought Amish made oak cabinets that someone took out. They were put in my house with a really dark golden red/orange stain with lots of wood grain showing, paired with a white marble tile backsplash and I love them dressed up with chrome handles and a big chrome faucet and chrome chandelier. Think it looks like an old fashioned resort or country club. Love it. Reminds me of the last picture of red kitchen.

I love stained wood because I can see through beautiful wood pattern. Nowadays everything's white, white, white! Too much white makes my mind go crazy. It reminds me of some si-fi movie prison.

It is so easy to paint white over stained wooden cabinets but it would be so difficult to do reverse. I've learned to make a violin. Handmade violins are so beautiful. Who wants a white painted violin? If I wanted a white violin, I'd rather get a white electric violin.

Oh and I hate white painted brick fireplaces too. I love natural brick. I don't understand why people like ruining natural beauty.

• indigoglow2012

My frustration is that when I try to look for kitchen ideas 95% of what I see is white. Houzz, Pinterest, instagram, etc. White kitchens are fine but I don’t want one. And just seeing the white plain Shaker door farmhouse style kitchen over and over again is very borning. Styles come and go, that is what keeps people in businsess and I wish the next trend would get here already.

• kculbers

After a visit to Colonial Williamsburg, I fell in love with the classic gray cabinetry. I chose “Plain & Fancy” Shaker style cabinets in color: Vista Gray. They are made in America in Pennsylvania. I try to buy American whenever I can. The color of ones kitchen is quite a personal choice❣️

• Helen

@indigoglow2012 - I don't know where you are looking but when I started my relatively recent remodel, I found loads of inspiration kitchens that weren't white.

In fact if you look at higher end design magazines or visit cabinet places that sell higher end products, they have many examples of kitchens that aren't white to use as inspiration.

White kitchens are ubiquitous because they are a safe choice for builders. I can't comment on why individuals like white because that is a personal decision of taste although many people remodel with the thought of potential resale and so their choices are driven by not wanting to make design decisions that are safe in that they are not offensive to most people.

But if you don't want a white kitchen, don't get a white kitchen. When I first met with my designer I told her no white or beige pr gray and so I have a blue and copper kitchen with stained white oak cabinets :-).

• Steph H

If you are remodeling, white is often a good choice for a space that needs lightening up. That’s mostly why we chose white. I also love the clean and classic look. Grey is also very classic. There are so many great choices.

• Cathy Krueger

I just think it's time to move on from gray and white in general. If you walk into a furniture store now, all you see is white sofas and chairs. I think it shows an inability to make decisions and a stifling of personal style. Beyond that, it's just boring.