Software
Houzz Logo Print
mariaham

NEED HELP WITH THE DECORATION OF THE LIVING ROOM AND THE FIREPLACE

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Can you please give me ideas about what furniture should I buy and what color should I use to the living room?
Thanks in advance

Comments (25)

  • 13 years ago
    Home Depot sells tiles that look like horizontal stone. Take one shade from the stone and paint the walls that color.
  • 13 years ago
    Oops...submitted too soon. Use the tiles on the fireplace it will give an important look to the focal point.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Oh Maria, that is a really difficult question. I've looked at your ideabooks and it's a bit difficult to get an idea about your style, because you've saved a lot of different style photos to your living room and fireplace ideabooks.

    Why don't you tell us more:
    - is this a formal living room
    - will you put a TV in it
    - how many people in your family and if you have children, what age are they?
    - do you like warmer colours or cooler ones
    - how is this room orientated, south or west or...?

    And could you post more pictures of all the walls (so to speak), so we can get an idea of the entire space?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Maria,

    What is the size of your room? How many people do you want to fit in the space? Do you entertain a lot? Do you want the room to be more conversational, formal or casual?

    How would you describe your design style?
  • 13 years ago
    carolins,thank for your interest
    -It whould be a formal living room
    -I don't think I will put a TV
    -we are 3 in our family me and my parents (I am 15years old)
    -it is a west room

    ok I will put some new pictures soon
  • 13 years ago
    Studio Revolution, emm the room is 40cm2
    we will be 3 people and I it whould be a formal room so it won't be so much entertainment
  • 13 years ago
    I would have done something like this pic, but I like your style choice as well
  • 13 years ago
    I like it.
  • 13 years ago
    It is a nice formal feel with just enough color. Kind of business like but fancy.
  • 13 years ago
    thanks I like it a lot you helped me very much
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the Orchard Living room very much...and the square art is really nice. If you need ideas on a beautiful square piece for the fireplace...I am happy to help!
  • 13 years ago
    ok thanks I will propably need your help
  • 13 years ago
    Mariaham, you've picked a beautiful living room! Perhaps armchairs for comfort, but I like the neutral colours. Very chic!
    The mirror in the dining room is beautiful, but keep in mind that with a glass table and a mirror... short skirts are out of the question ;-)
    So perhaps a side table or buffet with a large mirror over it will be more practical and 'friendly'.

    Well done!
  • 13 years ago
    I have a dark antique wooden dinning table and the same buffet and I am thinking to put a glass on it to stop the so much dark what do you think of that idea?
  • 13 years ago
    Today I took and other photos so you can understant better
  • 13 years ago
    You mean glass in stead of the wooden table top? Not sure, will have to see. But if you put lighter chairs around and perhaps a lighter rug, you'll break up the dark wood to. If you want to put a mirror over the buffet, don't choose one that has a dark frame. Silver, gold, or mirror frame. For example:
    Mosaic Multi-Facet Mirror - Discontinued · More Info

    Venezia · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    your ideas helped me a lot ,thanks! I will attach photos of the dining table so you can see
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Sunday is a busy family day for me...but when I saw your example (Orchard) it made me think me of a piece I created called Point Of Light...I just had to find it...I've created over 3000 paintings in my career! Here it is....
  • 13 years ago
    carolins those are the photos of the dinning table and buffet what do you think
  • 13 years ago
    and 2 more
  • 13 years ago
    I want to thank all of you for your help
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the buffet. Don't think a glass table would go with those chairs. Maybe if it was a dark smokey glass? A big mirror with a frame like in your picture would work. So would the chandelier and the light colored rug under the table.
  • 13 years ago
    mariaham, I like the modern sofa that you can see in the background of the first photo.
    The dining table, chairs and buffet are beautiful, but quite 'heavy' looking pieces.
    Perhaps you could recover the seats of the chairs with a lighter fabric. That will make a difference. I don't think that a glass top on the table will work. Just leave this furniture as is (apart from the seats maybe) and add more contemporary, lighter (both in feel and in colour) items around it. The rug is very pretty too.

    Your new home looks gorgeous. Really nice spaces and that balcony has such a beautiful view. Lovely.
  • 13 years ago
    thanks a lot for your help