Software
Houzz Logo Print
guoxiaotian

Any one used Milgard? What's your experience with their product?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi folks,

I plan to replace some old windows in my house with new ones. The replacement window company I worked with recommended Milgard Windows and suggested I go to their showroom to take a look in person.

So I drove an hour and visited their corporation showroom in Tacoma, but came back underwhelmed.

First I admit that I have no experience with any replacement windows, Milgard is the first product I saw in person and paid attention to (I had vinyl window in my previous house by I have never paid much attention to them) . Other than that, the only thing I can compare them to are some sliding/casement windows in a friends house built by a premium builder.

That been said, I found the Windows I saw today (Ultra series, Tuscany series) did not look like high quality product, I am not sure if that's because these windows are not brand new and have been in the show room for a while? Almost all the casement window I saw today has most or less a loose/wiggling crank handle while with the windows in my friends house the crank has a much more precise feel to it. Also I took a pictures of the windows



also see the wavy plastic bar between glass panels:


The goal of my visit was to decide between Ultra and Tuscany series, but now I am not even sure if I should use Milgard at all, even they offer life time warranty - they are just a chore to look at.

Do you have experience with their product, and how does it compare to other brands?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Showroom windows get abused like you can't imagine. We used the Tuscany a number of years ago before they pulled back from the East Coast and had a good product history with it.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Nothing but good things to say about Milgard windows. We've now used them in a one build and one remodel and I am especially happy with my casement windows from them. One seal broke on picture window about 6 years in (it happens) and they came out and replaced it free.

  • 4 years ago

    We paid over $34k for new windows that were installed three months ago and we are still waiting for the four screen doors for our sliding doors. In addition we had to have three different windows for one of our windows before they could send us one that wasn’t broken on arrival. This also took months before they got us a unbroken window. The last two days we had an appointment to deliver our screen doors and yesterday they gave us a four hour window and then couldn’t make that time and re-scheduled for another four hour window today. This time they just didn’t even show up and there was no communication to reschedule or to let us know they were not going to make it. My time is valuable too, and this is unacceptable.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I would not recommend Milgard. My slider has a manufactring defect internal to the glass panes and Milgard refuses to stand behind the problem. Milgard Case Number 06211020

    If you can barely see through the window, it is because the internal coating has failed and become opaque. Make your own decision as to whether or not you want to risk having the same problem

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Seeing as the rest of us don't have access to Milgard internal warranty processing...why don't you fill us in...or is your point to just trash the name of Milgard in order to cyber bully them into covering something that they aren't legally required to cover.


    How long ago was the home built? I see nothing in Milgard's warranty that would prevent them from covering a seal failure. If you are going to come onto a national forum to attempt to malign a brand by posting on every thread with Milgard in the name, perhaps you could do us the favor of giving us the background on what has happened, how old the windows are, what the company response has been, their rational for denying the claim and so forth.


    Or...I guess you could do like you are doing now and just "sh*tpost" about a brand wherever you can in the internet equivalent of a temper tantrum in an effort to get what you think you deserve.

    Pretty sure that Milgard would have no legal basis to deny your claim if it was legally covered in the documents. Unless you are just trying to say that they have singled out "Trevor Peterson" to really stick it to. Newsflash...they aren't. Your default to victim-hood status is just another damning example of where we are at. You aren't giving the full story...and probably for a reason.

  • 3 years ago

    BTW...congrats on being bully that thinks their juvenile actions are righteous because you are a part of the victim class.


    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/R9RXuUZxZl8


  • 3 years ago

    I understand this is an old post, but my Milgard (Tuscany) windows were installed in 2009 (kitchen) and 2010 (rest of the house); all have performed perfectly. In Southern California, so they don't suffer much extreme weather, but we are very pleased with them.

  • 3 years ago

    You are lucky that none of them have a manufacturing defect like this one



  • 2 years ago

    Does anyone know of a Milgard rep in chicago. I would like to order a tuscany garden window.

  • 2 years ago

    I don't think they are available that far east any longer.

  • 2 years ago

    The R Lang Company in California actually manufactures the garden window that Milgard markets as their own.

    I would Google, "R Lang" to see if you get it without the Milgard connection.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you for the information about R Lang Company!