Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_taggart

Please help with curb appeal ideas

Brenda Taggart
6 years ago

I purchased this 1957 Florida ranch home over the summer and I have been so busy with the interior projects that the outside has taken a back seat. We've removed the shutters since they were in very poor shape so this old girl is a blank slate. We've ordered a new white roof and slider windows to be installed in the next 4 weeks or so but I need ideas on beautifying this rather plain house. I am open to all ideas big and small, color changes, and structural changes.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There's nothing I hate like being the bearer of bad news. But let's get this over with. That's a pretty decent looking tree you have at the forefront, center of the house. If it's a live oak, in spite of that being an awesome tree, I'd consider having it removed ASAP, as delaying only costs more. I love that tree, but it is a serious big boy and 20' from the foundation is what I would call maximum nearity. (I must make up a word, quarterly.) These things, 30 years from birth, are wall and floor breakers if they are closer than 20'. If one has an expensive, palatial home that will last centuries, he should place this tree even farther away ... 50' probably. In its life, the tree can grow to 200' canopy width.

How much street appeal are you after? If it's a lot, then you should consider architectural improvements such as shelter over the entrance area, and expanding the "floor" portion of same. And you must do something about the flat-roofed, mobile home looking portion of the house. The driveway seems to need help, too.

Depending on what you're looking for, you may need to supply additional pictures. Some from slightly closer, but that show a wider spread (overlapping photos all taken from the same point of view) and farther away that show how your house fits into the neighborhood (again, overlapping photos from the same point of view if it will not fit into a single photo.)

Brenda Taggart thanked Yardvaark
  • PRO
    Nancy Mellen Garden Design
    6 years ago

I would agree, the tree will eat your home in another 10+ years. But don't despair. Plant an ornamental tree 30' from the front, add different shaped and textured shrubs staggered (not in a straight line) about 1-2' minimum away from your foundation on either side of your door. Personally, I like symmetry; therefore, I would put the same shrub at either side of the entry and the same at the corners of the house. Add perennials or annuals in front of the shrubs for added color. Have fun and make it your vision of wonderful.

Brenda Taggart thanked Nancy Mellen Garden Design
  • Brenda Taggart
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Yarkvaark, Nancy, and Doug. I appreciate your input. That tree is absolutely coming down this year. We have already removed a gigantic oak from the other side of the driveway and a few enormous limbs from over the house already. As for the driveway, I agree with it's needed resurfacing. It is hideous. I like the ideas of the symmetry as much as can be managed with such an asymmetrical home. I love the visual assist Doug, as I am a visual learner, and those plants totally work in my zone.

• PRO
    Nancy Mellen Garden Design
    6 years ago

Doug, great pictures. As I live in Massachusetts, your planting material is totally different than I work with.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

If the architecture is not symmetrical, there is no need for the landscaping to be!! And in fact, it can look rather incongruous to have a very symmetical planting plan against an asymmetrical facade. It will look lopsided and unbalanced.

In landscaping, symmetry = formality. Asymmetry = a more relaxed, informal, organic feel.

Like Dig Doug's mock-ups, I would emphasize the entry more, relocating and enlarging the walkway. Very likely increase the porch/stoop/landing as well. And you can see also how the asymmetrical plantings enhance rather than detract.

Brenda Taggart thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I would consider replacing the door on the left with a plain flat panel door painted the same color as the house. The entry door would look nice if replaced with a more modern looking door such as this, which is more authentic to the period of the house.

I think the house would look pretty in a very pale aqua and a coral door.
    It would give it a wonderful retro Florida mid century feel. Add large mid century house numbers as well as a mid century light fixture.
    You could go lush and tropical with landscaping or clean and modern with a horizontal wood planter filled with pampas grass or horsetail.
    I agree with removing the tree as well. I would consider moving your steps to the front of the porch and curving a sidewalk to the driveway.

Brenda Taggart thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Design Everest
    6 years ago

Sadly, removing the tree to the right of your front door would probably be one of the best moves. Another would be adding in a walkway from your front door. Doug added some great ideas, we like the second one he added.

Brenda Taggart thanked Design Everest
  • housegal200
    6 years ago

Tree begone. Shutters begone, too! Doug Dig's landscape design is great. Love Kateparadise color scheme. Powerwash the roof and skim the driveway. There, all done.

Brenda Taggart thanked housegal200