Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'G. Nabonnand'

8 years ago

'G. Nabonnand' is one of several roses we ALMOST lost 2-3 years ago.

(Unexpected high temperatures + irrigation-failure = disaster .. and we did lose several roses.)

But with some artful pruning and good water, this mature plant made it, and after a summer rest, it's starting to bloom for Fall.

Comments (30)

  • 8 years ago

    Glad you saved him!

    jerijen thanked slumgullion in southern OR
  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful! I adore pink roses!

  • 8 years ago

    Be still my heart, that is soooo pretty.

  • 8 years ago

    What a relief you were able nurture it through the heat, drought and irrigation challenges! It would be hard to lose this beauty. Wasn't it Fig Insanity John who said, "I never met a Nabonnand I didn't like"? Carol

  • 8 years ago

    It's the kind of rose that makes my heart melt. Why don't I have this tea in my garden?

  • 8 years ago

    I can certainly say the same. All of the Nabonnands touch my heart. And, Ingrid, it really is a very good rose. In your conditions, I'd give it a little afternoon shade.


  • 8 years ago

    I want G. Nabonnand rose but it was all sold out from Antique Emporium. Maybe next batch 2018.

    Jin

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Well, he was a disaster here (STILL holds the record for worst PM ever -- though almost always in bloom, which was odd), but he looks good there! I always wonder if it was the clone. I have Niles Cochet in that spot now and it does well, so I don't know what my G. Nabonnand's problem was.

  • 8 years ago

    Waiting to see those pink shades on mine! So far in its 2nd year, it is mostly buff. I've seen a tiny bit of BS; I often pause to remove the few leaves with spots. When it's full size I doubt I'll try and keep up..

    G Nabonnand is so generous with his big blooms. The petals have a delicate texture which makes you want to touch them.

  • 8 years ago

    Catspat -- I'm really surprised to hear that ANY Nabonnand rose mildewed. Every one I've ever seen was clean in any place I've seen them. Of course, I expect that every rose will have one problem or another SOMEWHERE, but . . .

  • 8 years ago

    Luscious, just luscious.

    Lux.

  • 8 years ago

    More 'G. Nabonnand'

  • 8 years ago

    I hope it's okay to add an addendum to this thread. In this cool weather, I've been having the largest blooms ever from my young G. Nabonnand, but the pink is almost entirely washed out. I picked a flower yesterday and put it in a bottle with a sprig of Philadelphus mexicanus that was blooming nearby:

  • 8 years ago

    Gorgeous pair! Lisa

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, it was me that said I never met a Nabonnand I didn't like, and these photos just reinforce it. If I could get my hands on them, I'd grow every Nabonnand rose still in existence. Alas, so many of them are no longer in commerce. But GN is one of the best and loveliest.

    John

  • 8 years ago

    rbehs -- That doesn't surprise me. I've seen it very very pale. Just now, though, it seems to be quite pink:


    (The paler rose, behind it, is Austin's 'Cymbeline' -- which for some reason has decided to have a nice winter flush of bloom.)

    John -- I so agree with you on the Nabonnands. I've never so far met one I didn't like. It looks like I desperately need 'Paul Nabonnand'
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.24404
    (which also comes in a Climbing form).

    I think I may have to spring for the big bucks, and order it from Rose Petals nursery (the ONLY U.S. source, dangit.).


  • 8 years ago

    My young G. Nabonnand has some striking growth right now, with three candle-like stems rising high above the rest of the plant:

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    This rose is so beautiful!

    rbhes, your G. N looks so happy :) I love how it looks with the Mexican Mock Orange.

    Jeri, that little bee looks like he's in pink heaven!


  • 8 years ago

    Love G Nabonnand, so I planted one in the new tea bed at the arboretum. It was a good-sized plant from ARE but rabbits nibbled it back. THEN most of top froze off in our most unusual winter.

    Am counting on his wonderful vigor to pull him through..

  • 6 years ago

    I have a G. Nabonnand in a pot that I am ready to plant, since weather is cooling down, finally. For all you GN growers in SoCal how big does it get? I just looked on HMF and it lists 9 feet! Usually the high end is listed for warm climates. I am thinking to move Belinda’s Blush and put GN at the corner of the house right next to hose spigot that is only used occasionally since I have drip irrigation. But GN is thornless so it should be OK there. Actually that is why thornless BB is there now. I am super excited for this rose that is reported to bloom all winter in warm climates. That is Valentine in front in case anyone is wondering.



  • 6 years ago

    I'm not in S Cal but mine is 5 ft rounded shape here so far at 4 years.



  • 6 years ago

    Sheila, He is beautiful . I still haven't bought one yet or any of the Nabonnand. But definitely will by next yr. Cross fingers !!

    Stephanie, leave some room and i am sure it will grow huge there.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Stephanie, that looks like the perfect place for it and if you need the spigot perhaps you could install one of those extensions. Where will you move BB? Btw, thank you for highlighting Valentine. I have this rose, but hardly ever see it mentioned which is surprising for such a classic. I recently moved it to a prime location and it thanked me profusely before the cold set in.

  • 6 years ago

    Shelia, Your GN is beautiful and lush with good foliage. Foliage on a rose is very important to me. I am hoping mine will stay in the 6-7 foot range. What is the red rose above GN on the slope? It is really lovely too!

    Vaporvac, BB will get a spot closer to the path on far side of picture. Valentine sure puts on a nice Spring and Fall display. I am curious if it will bloom all winter here. It has the look of a Tea Rose with nodding flowers and finely textured foliage. No thorns, no scent to my nose and stays nice and small.

  • 6 years ago

    The one above, Stephanie, is Papa Gontier. Papa is a big boy.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Stephanie. Mine was growing backwards in its too shady spot, but once planted bloomed almost immediately then set about making new basal growth so I have great hope for next year. It set flower a couple of times in its lousy spot giving just a couple of blooms each time, so I expect you'll get further bloom. In our intense humidity, it is mildly fragrant. I have it as a front of border rose where it sets off other pastels without fighting for attention. Thus far I like this rose. Perhaps it's more widely grown, especially in places where size matters, and it just flies under the radar. Her foliage remained clean in our late Fall rains, but she was just a wisp of a rose when transplanted. If her leaves maintain next year, I will highly recommend her for similar growing conditions.

    Sheila, PapaG is gorgeous!!! I hear that rose mentioned, but had NO idea it was so beautiful and huge! I LOVE huge roses. Yours is MUCH darker than those on HMF.

  • 6 years ago

    Vapor, Those HMF Papa photos are less than ideal, I think. The color is dark pink to red often but recently went to a more medium pink here. The end of season foliage is looking less wonderful than other Tea roses here this Fall. I don't remember thinking that last year for whatever reason.





    This is the lighter Papa Gontier this Fall with end of season foliage.

  • 6 years ago


    G Nabonnand is really a standout rose.

  • 6 years ago

    So very pretty—-I really am going to have to start guerrilla planting roses in the dark of the night. Just too many beauties to fit on my lot!! :-)

0