Software
Houzz Logo Print
robert_brown97100

Range Hood cfm Question Given My Circumstances

8 years ago

Hello All,

Moving closer and closer to re-doing my kitchen wall and installing a hood.

Was pretty set on a hood until the installer stopped by and gave me
some ideas. For one, we aren't going to vent up through through the
ceiling and through the roof, but just vent directly through the wall to
the outside.

Anyway, here are the parameters that CANNOT change:

36" RNB Blue Star between 2 windows (meaning, no above cabinets on either side of the range)

36" Wall Mounted Hood venting directly through the wall to the
outside. It will not be 42". Window molding becomes an issue and I've
accepted the 36". I plan to make it more powerful to make up for the
lack of hood overlap.

I'm 6'5" so probably a 32" minimum hood height above the range, if not more.

The range will be 6 burners, no grill or griddle, etc. Just 6 burners. 98,500 total BTUs.

A kitchen remodel is not happening. The range is going between the
windows, end of story. Installer had no issues putting it between the
windows and the window molding will not be an issue.

What cfm would you recommend? I know the more the better so I was
thinking 1200 cfms, but if I can get away with 900 cfms I'd like to.
Also, 900 won't be as loud as 1200 and maybe then I won't pay extra for
an external blower like I probably would for a 1200 cfm hood.

Make up air is also not a factor. My house is old (1888) and plenty
leaky. For the few minutes I possibly would turn a 900 or 1200 cfm hood
all the way up, it won't create any issues.

So, 900 cfm or 1200 cfm? External blower regardless or is internal
going to be ok? Looked at the Zephyr Tempest ii, a Best by Broan hood,
and a DCS hood. Pretty much limited to brands Aitoro carries since I'm
going through them.

Thank you!

Comments (4)

  • 8 years ago

    Short answer (read my many other hood parameter messages for background): Actual flow 90 CFM per square foot of the entry aperture area of whatever hood you choose, preferably a deep one. Rated blower CFM: 90 x area x 1.5 if the MUA path has no significant pressure loss. Otherwise, more.

    At best, high flow rates will extend the hood effective aperture by an inch or so on each side; you won't have the side capture of a 42 inch hood with 36 inches.

    MUA will have a pressure loss unless a window or door is open and unscreened (or a lot of doors or windows are open and screened). If your house can normally leak ca. 900 CFM with no pressure loss, you must live in Pago Pago.

    If house pressure falls below -0.03 inches of water relative to the outside, you are in danger of back-drafting carbon monoxide from any combustion appliances you might have unless they have full sealed MUA.

  • 8 years ago

    There are 4 two windows in the kitchen. If I’m finding it to be a problem I’d open one for the times I’m using it at full power.

    I appreciate the MUA information, but I’ve read and tackled this one already. I’d rather this not turn into another MuA discussion.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    An external blower won't help but could hurt since you are already on an external wall. That external blower is huge and depending on where you live, may not be able to be serviced in the winter. 900 cfm's should be fine but make sure you look at the sone rating when not just on low setting. Different brands try to trick you with this rating but they are quite loud on medium and high settings.

    I looked on Aitoro's website and brands aren't too limiting. I recommend a parametric style hood which will create a virtual capture area and help to guide the smoke since you don't have the upper cabinets flanking the hood. There are a few on the market.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you. I think I'm going to find a hood that vents directly through the back and out the external wall the hood will be mounted too. Also keep the blower internal. Make life easier.

    I better look of parametric now...