0

after freeze- leaves wilting. why? help!

midorit

So my camellia has been happy in the ground for almost a year now (planted her very early spring). She blossomed last year nicely and she had some buds getting ready for winter soon.

Last night there was a very hard freeze (20 something degrees) and this morning I woke up and both her and my espalier bush are wilting. I thought both were winter hardy. I had watered them both nicely last week. Then it snowed maybe an inch and that melted. Then it froze the ground.

Should I put more mulch once the temp goes up to low 40s tomorrow or later today at 35? Should I water tomorrow?

Just not sure why they look sad.

thanks!

• luis_pr

I typically water my plants the night before a hard freeze or hard frost. You can add mulch at anytime of the year. This problem can happen to winter hardy plants in dry=ish soil; see the article below.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/when-to-water-plants-before-a-freeze/

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Many broad leaf evergreens droop their leaves in very cold temperatures. It's part of their protective measures. You only need to worry if the leaves don't right themselves when the temperature goes up again. You don't say what species the espalier is so it's hard to comment on that one.