Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_turan33

closet door ideas

Michelle Turan
6 years ago
We are redoing my son’s bedroom and unfortunately closets are the focal point when you enter this room. We will have wall to wall carpet coming and my son wants a navy red and cream room-

I was thinking of those rustic sliding barn doors or painting them with his favourite team logo — but this is roughly 5 ‘ across so it might be too big for a barn door slider ?

Any ideas and thoughts would be great !

Comments (13)

• Gail Stivers
    6 years ago

I would take those troublesome things out and agree on a cool barn door. It needs some color and texture. Find a big weather-worn door, with the big black tracks. Then put the team logo as a big stencil on wall instead - or even place on ceiling for him to look at when he lies in bed.

• Michelle Turan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks ACM! I hate the floors haha (to each his own) - we are redoing hardwood downstairs but we have decided for this house - we want the joy and comfort of wall to wall carpet - in the bedrooms only -
  • Jennifer Dube
    6 years ago

I'd do french doors. The benefit is that you can then use the back of the door to hang things, like on one side you could have a pocket holder for shoes, the other side you could have hooks for robe, backpack, dirty clothes bag.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

I'll just be the one to say it- you're tanking your home's value by taking out hardwood floors on the second floor. But sure, that's your call.

As for the closets, don't add a barn door whatever you do. It will dominate the room in a bad way. Paint it the same color as the wall so it blends in.

• erinsean
    6 years ago

Be sure you lay the carpet before you decide on the door....the door may have to be made shorter. I have doors like yours in our basement rec room....they are always coming off the track at the top. I have sliders in our bedrooms on the top floor and they work best for me. If they come off the slider mechanism they are easy to get back on BUT I think a barn door for your son's room would be great. Second would be just a simple double door that hinges open (If you have room to open them). His color scheme sounds neat!

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    Why not use the carpet you are planning as an oversized area rug (hold off just 3” around the room) so very very little wood. It will still feel like wall to wall but won’t have to be tacked in to the floor (saves resale). As for the door I would just upgrade handles and bring focus elsewhere through art/bedding.
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    You can divide the opening and do two barn doors, one sliding in each direction. Barn door hardware is readily available these days.
  • Michelle Turan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sina - we have renovated and sold homes for high end prices - we are carpeting over the hardwood not removing it - and as I said earlier - the entire home will be high end hardwood - but with cold Canadian winters we want nice warm comfortable bedrooms and many great designers are using carpet in bedrooms now . We will be living here not selling for at least 6 years. These floors are not pretty - we are comfortable with our decision .
  • Michelle Turan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Great contributions everyone ! I really appreciate you all taking the time !
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I would wait also until you got the furniture in the room. I would just update the knobs. Barn doors take up sooo much wall space, and are clunky looking. They belong only on a barn. I have to agree with you on the carpet. There is nothing warmer, cozy and luxurious feeling than a carpeted bedroom. Plus it adds sound proofing if the bedroom is on the second floor. The house I grew up in had hardwood in the bedrooms on the 2nd floor. All you heard was thump, thump, thump when you were on the 1st floor when someone was in the bedrooms above. Hardwood, though pretty makes a bedroom feel cold and hollow. Especially in winter. I also have several folding doors in my house and they never come off the track. I think if they are not installed or adjusted correctly they will.

• phuninthesun
    6 years ago

I would absolutely use two doors. It's a boys bedroom and should be fun! It's not as if you can't change them back if you need to in the future.

• Michelle Turan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Great pic ! Thanks Phun!