'Rosette Delizy'
Caught this bloom, today, on my immature plant. (Our mature plant was put in the ground in 1988.)
For us, this is a rose without flaw.

Comments (41)
- 8 years ago
Beautiful! She looks like she's glowing, truly lovely. I have her on my must have list.
- 8 years ago
Ahh..so pretty. Well this time, I have to order early Bec they are always sold out fast. I hope it will grow here. It says 7a to 9b for hardiness and I fall in 9 b. I wonder if it will grow or get easily burn if direct sun all day maybe just maybe partial shade...hmmm
Any clues?
Jin
Related Professionals
Gaithersburg Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Westminster Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Jackson Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Syracuse Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Montréal Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Saint Joseph Landscape Contractors · Leominster Landscape Contractors · Burlington Landscape Contractors · Florence Home Builders · Middletown Home Builders · Somerset Home Builders · San Marcos Home Builders · Williamsburg Home Builders · Watertown Home Builders · Bronx Home Builders- 8 years ago
Yup. This is a rose never out of bloom, although colors change with the season. Healthy. Right next to our bird bath fountain in the backyard, so looking out through the dining room double glass doors is a constant feathery, rosy delight
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Here, it recovered from being the one potted Tea for which I kept forgetting to get a larger pot -- and it lingered in a 2gal nursery liner for two years. The second Winter, I missed watering it in my enclosed back porch -- I think it was behind a larger rose, and I forgot about it. Normally, I pop back there two or three times during Winter to check that nothing has dried out too much. Already rootbound, there was but one pencil-thick 4" long piece of living stem emerging from a thumb-thick 1" high basal cane when I brought the roses out in Spring 2017. I removed it from its pot, heavily scored the outer net of tangled roots, and repotted it into a 15" container with my "magic mix". By the end of Summer, it was three feet tall and wide. As with most Teas here, it gets virtually no blackspot even without fungicide, and blooms through our hot and humid Summers when the Bourbons and HPs are pausing. And it has a nice fruity-tea scent which reminds me of some Pernetianas.
It's one tough cookie, and beautiful and fragrant to boot.
:-)
~Christopher
- 8 years ago
Sheila you are absolutely right. I saw RD in your beautiful tea garden and how upright it was. I knew I had to get RD.
I am so looking for next year with your teas gardens which I am sure is going to blow my mind with beauty and ... mouth dropping with amazement of art and skills.... lol. In another words you are really good.
Jin
jerijen
Original Author8 years agoIt has grown for decades on our hillside, in full sun, and seems to handle it well. In severe Santa Ana conditions, low humidity may dry the blooms, but otherwise it is un-troubled by heat.
- 8 years ago
No, Lisa, I don't think so. Mine is only two years old here, but it seems tall and upright so far. Devoniensis is smaller, Mme Antoine Mari, MFK all might be smaller.
- 8 years ago
Thanks, Sheila. Maybe I’m thinking of Mrs. Dudley Cross? I feel like I really ought to be growing more Tea roses, since I really have the perfect climate for them. Unfortunately space is a problem. I’m pretty unhappy with my grafted Queen of Sweden, though. I just might need a tall narrowish Tea in its place. Lisa
jerijen
Original Author8 years agoLisa -- we read that 'Rosette Delizy' was one of the smaller Teas.
It turned out to be a good 7-8 feet tall, though and I can't consider that "small". It is, however, upright -- not a really broad plant.- 8 years ago
That’s good to hear, Jeri! That’s exactly what I need for the spot my unhappy Queen of Sweden currently resides. A taller than wide Tea that can handle the hot afternoon sun, is what I need. The more narrow, the better. Queen is Sweden fits in the tall and narrow department, but hates the spot. I realize that no Tea is going to be quite as tall and narrow as my “sky pencil” Queen of Sweden, but at least it won’t shrivel in the afternoon sun! Lisa
- 8 years ago
Lisa, if you're on Face Book, Hillary Merrifield has posted several photos of her MAMMOTH Rosette Delizy in her Australian garden. Yes, RD is "taller than wider", but as Jeri posted, it can get HUGE, easily!
- 8 years ago
RD is a very large rose. QoS is a small rose. Replacing the one for the other in the same spot may cause problems..
- 8 years ago
Yes, you guys are right. RD isn’t good for that spot. Thank you for saving me from another mistake. It’s still too big. A Tea would be just so perfect for that hot spot, but they all seem to grow so wide. Lisa
- 8 years ago
Kim, I found her on FB, but I wasn’t able to view her RD because we aren’t “friends”. Lisa
- 8 years ago
Hillary is one of the loveliest people you could hope to meet. She is incredibly knowledgeable about roses, Teas in particular, and has grown them for longer than a number of us have been around. Friend her. You'll enjoy her.
jerijen
Original Author8 years agoLisa -- Great place for a "companion" plant. The change of shape and texture will add something.
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
True! Maybe that’s the answer, but I can’t help but want to answer “larger questions” with roses, if you know what I mean:) Lisa
- 8 years ago
Hmm.....You've just given me a splendid idea, Jeri! I think SP Plumeria would do alright in that spot. How wide has it grown for you? That would be the determining factor. If I could maintain it at about 4 feet wide, it would be perfect! Now that’s a non-rose EYE would be willing to give that spot to. Lisa
jerijen
Original Author8 years agoLisa, -- no. I think they would be a problem. See:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mature+plumeria+trees&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUpom6q5zYAhVH6WMKHbHpApkQsAQIVw&biw=1647&bih=862

- 8 years ago
Oh wow and wow. I love both but I prefer the 2nd pic. Very well maintained and clean cut. 1st pic is also amazing....but most places Hawaii, Indonesia it is well kept like 2nd pic.
They are always in bloom all year round. Lisa try it and I am certain you will love it .
Jeri is right," it is great companion plant ...".
Jin
jerijen
Original Author8 years agoBut only if you have room for it.
I've seen one this big in Santa Barbara . . . don't think I'll live to see mine this big.- 8 years ago
It only grows size of the pot. Never seen it grown that big as one in Florida nearly 25 feet.
Just something to figure and think about. I have only seen sizes like the 2nd picture mostly. Never knew they can grow bigger..
Jin
- 8 years ago
Oh my goodness! That’s even bigger than RD! Back to the drawing board. Thanks for that! Wow, that would be a problem! Lisa
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Your Rosette Delizy is beautiful! I can't wait for mine to get large. Mine is a few years old and seems to be growing wider vs taller right now. It is in the ground. I love how colorful the blooms are.
We grow several plumerias here. My dh's favorite is Atzec Gold because its large yellow flowers that smell exactly like fresh ripe peaches. I also have 3 of my own hybrids, of which, only one has bloomed so far. The one that bloomed has a small rainbow flower that smells exactly like Cestrum nocturnum (night blooming jasmine).
It freezes here hard a few times a year so I move them into my greenhouse from late Dec through March. They will get tall and wide so I usually cut them off around 8 ft to fit them into the gh. They go dormant and lose all leaves and like to be dry until March.
Plumeria are very easy to care for in a cold climate for those that want to try....just cut back, strip leaves, let the pot dry up and stick them in a frost free place and forget about them until spring. If you have a very long winter you can give them a cup of water every other month or so. Mine have been outside around 29F or so, a few nights here and there without freezing. They love being in large pots and I actually put holes in the sides of nursery pots and put them in the ground in the spring and dig the whole pot up in the fall. They are not as finicky about root disturbance as some people say.
I read that the huge plumeria trees in Hawaii were originally planted there long ago to help cover the smell lol. Also, that some cultures associate the plumeria as a shelter for spirits or ghosts to rest and in Malay folklore, plumeria is associated with vampires.
Very interesting plants!
~Sjn
- 8 years ago
My RD for some reason is blooming up a storm right now unlike my other teas. It began as being more upright than wide, but now seems to have developed middle-aged spread and is making close friends with Le Vesuve, so that some trimming is needed. It's a much easier rose than Le Vesuve, with not too many thorns. In your soil, Lisa, it will probably grow much larger. When all is said and done, the only smaller tea I can think of is Enchantress; the rest just keep on growing. A Bourbon like Romaggi Plot or an early hybrid tea have a much better chance of staying within bounds.
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Jasmin, I am surprised on your knowledge about Malay folklore. That is saying but the saying also if you smell sweet and if you heard your name do not look back Bec a pointanak might be calling you. They are attracted to sleep in trees esp the ones that smells good.
When I was young, I used to pluck flowers even at night. It is bad or else the spirits will attack you or pointanak will get you. My mom believes in that Bec of Malay people. So, we just follow folklore whether it is true or not. Or spit or..
Jin
- 8 years ago
Plumeria Girl that is very interesting. I love legends and superstitions relating to plants. You always wonder how exactly they all got started.
I like to grow plants with history or legends attached to them. It makes it fun and adds a whole other meaning to one's gardens. This is what has attracted me to the antique roses.
I also grow the nycanthes arbor-tristis which is also known as Tree of Sorrow due to the legend about it and its shedding of night flowers when touched by the morning sun. It is grown around Buddist Temples.
- 8 years ago
Lisa, the older Noisettes often have a narrow upright habit, and used to be considered one of the best classes for pillar roses. I wonder if any of those old California foundlings would do the trick?
Like their China cousins, they are generally better as garden plants than as a source of cut flowers, though there may be exceptions.
Virginia
jerijen
Original Author8 years ago"Setzer Noisette" is generally regarded as being a pillar-style climber. But in late years, it's "bulked up some. In May, (having been pruned in January) it looked like this:

In September (not deadheaded) it was this big:

And on this bleak morning still not deadheaded, but covered with buds anyhow:

jerijen
Original Author8 years agoOh, and BTW -- Here's that same Rosette Delizy bloom, this morning:

- 8 years ago
Lovely pictures. I really like ‘Setzer Noisette’. I may be wrong here, as I often am, but somehow I have it in my mind that the Noisettes would like some afternoon shade here in my climate. This is a merciless afternoon sun spot, I’m considering here. Ingrid’s suggestion of an early HT may be appropriate. ‘La France’ might do well.
Then again, I have another thought. Perhaps I should start a new thread to ask about a rose I already have....... Lisa
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
I think you're right, Lisa. I tried the smaller petaled Noisettes in Encino, the same zone as you are in, though in a different spot in CA than you are, and the flower petals fried as they opened. I had a client who grew one in Stevenson Ranch in the Santa Clarita Valley (Zone 9a). The plant grew like oatmeal on a two year old and flowered heavily, but the flowers fried as they opened. Those small, soft petals demand protection from the intense heat and UV or they fry quickly. Having some sort of shade to protect them would definitely help. The plants, themselves, were great. I just never got to enjoy the blooms. They were consistently "potpourri".
jerijen
Original Author8 years agoWe never used to have hot summers . . . Now, we do.
So -- with my new experience of summer heat -- yeah. They do fry. But to be honest, they also just stop blooming when it gets up to a dry 95-100 degrees. Which seems to me to be a very sensible thing for roses to do. Just stop blooming and hunker down.- 8 years ago
Jasmin that is interesting "tree of sorrow". I think I might have seen it but never realised. Thanks for pointing that out. Very interesting story behind. I like the story about a princess who fall in love with the sun. But he broke up and broke her heart so she commit suicide and a plant grew where her ashes were. So, she only blooms at night and sheds away before her lover rises.
I wonder if it is related to Confederate Jasmine. They look very much alike but I won't know about those two and Queen of the night .
Jin - 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Jeri , those roses must have defense mechanism so it won't bloom when it gets so hot then getting crisp burned Smart, smart roses :)
I love your setzer noisette and was so close to ordering it but i have to put off later after I get other roses settled than climbers will be up. Although I did order Peggy Martin for the fence
Others will be on trellis , arbours and .......see what need to be done.
Jin
- 8 years ago
My Rozette Delizy is still very young (planted from quart size in April) and her first few blooms did not have scent but now, POW! Intense perfume. Anyone else? I am beyond delighted.

jacqueline9CA