Software
Houzz Logo Print
andy_mcbride94

grout thickness and soffit ideas

8 years ago
We’re getting close on our kitchen remodel. Just picked up this 3D tile from walker zanger yesterday. What size grout should we go with? Also, any ideas on what do to with that soffit? Crown molding or ???

Comments (26)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I do not think those tiles go with that counter I would certainly not add crown to the soffit you have a modern style kitchen the less fancy trim the better , I am having a hard time understang how the B&W wall ties into anything. The first picture showing the tile you got is taht sitting on your actual counter material? The other pics of the counter seem different.

  • 8 years ago

    Its all frosted carrera quartz counter top. The picture could be different because of the time of day or the hue caused from the fires/smoke we're having here in Santa Barabra (its crazy!).

  • 8 years ago

    That tile is already spaced. You can’t change it. You have a real hodgepodge going on. You need a few hours with a KD to get this pulled yogether.

  • 8 years ago
    We went pretty close with the grout. The b&w patterned in the back ground of the other picture is wall paper and has been ripped down.
  • 8 years ago

    I never saw 3D tile but it adds such a nice depth to the room and I love that you took it all the way up the wall. Without seeing the rest of the house or how you've changed the wallpaper side of the room, I vote no to crown. I'd leave it be. Nice job!

  • 8 years ago
    The 3D tile turned out really cool. The installer didn’t really know what to do at first and was applying it so that it was going to be flat! Good thing we caught it early. The wallpaper area gets painted tomorrow. It’s all coming together just in time for Xmas. Dare I try and actually use the kitchen for making dinner Monday night? :)
  • 8 years ago

    Tile looks even better from this vantage point! And now that I see the whole room, I stand by my no to crown vote. Once it's painted and you get window treatments and a table, it'll be dressed nicely.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    looks good. didn't think I'd like those tiles.

    I think a more dramatic wall color would look great over there. charcoal?

    dark gray/blue?

    Since your decor is a bit modern, I might be inclined to change that window trim to something contemporary to match. right now those windows are too traditional. At lease remove the saddle from the wall window

    any chance you could get a gold dispenser to match?

  • 8 years ago
    A gold water dispenser arrived today. Going to be installed tomorrow. They just installed the one came with the system until we could find a match. As for the color, wife is pretty set on white. We have a west elm gray L banquet bench thing that will go in that corner as a breakfast nook, still need to find a table. Not sure gray wall would then go.
    Also, what’s a window saddle ;)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    ah, ok. the bench should look nice over there.

    Actually, I meant to say Apron. the apron is the portion under the sill. was trying to get you more of a streamlined look to match the modern decor you've chosen. But I guess it's not that big of a deal. once you get your table and bench over there, it will be fine.

    if you have any left over counter, you could do this with no apron at all

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Andy,

    The tiles are growing on me, they remind me fish scales.

    I lived up on APS back in the 90's ;)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Those tiles look absolutely fantastic as does the rest of the kitchen!!! I can't wait to see pics of the final product, after painting!!!! Great job, Andy!

  • 8 years ago
    Looks very cool! I think I would have liked the storage and look of uppers flanking that window but it's a great statement with the tile.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks Brain. We’ll be ordering some floating wood shelves for walls on either side of the sink. Any suggestions on a good place to find some? We need to cut them to size which makes it a little bit harder to find.
    Also need to find a table for the breakfast nook and get our lighting fixtures picked. Pardon the Christmas dinner clean up :)
  • 8 years ago
    I meant Briana!
  • 8 years ago
    Maybe try building your own using some lumber? Are you looking for a wood tone, or matching the cabs?
  • 8 years ago
    Natural wood tone on the lighter side. I found some brackets that I think will work. Just thought maybe someone offered this, I’ll check on Etsy
  • 8 years ago
    I would use a marble top tulip table with your West Elm banquette
  • 8 years ago

    I don't have a source but I just saw this image on another thread. Is this what you were thinking?

  • 8 years ago
    Exactly, thanks joe!
  • 8 years ago
    IKEA docksta table with a small bubble chandelier
  • 8 years ago
    Finally done! Sitting in our breakfast nook this morning and remembered I never uploaded our final pics. Love how it turned out!
  • 8 years ago
    Love all of it; great transformation!

    Can you explain or show how that tile looks/works?

    Now you just need a cool vintage type framed poster on the wall in the nook. I have this one in my kitchen even though it’s for a veterinary clinic but I love cats and dogs...
  • 8 years ago
    Huge transformation! It turned out great!
  • 8 years ago
    Forgot to post a before pic!
    The tile is thicker at the bottom so it has a 3D effect. Hard to tell by the pictures but every person who sees it in person loves it (tried to add a pic that shows how it looks ). Besides that it’s just regular hex tile. We had those shelves custom made which turned out nice. Couple more finishing touches and we’ll be set and into the next project.