Software
Houzz Logo Print
christine_sharkey

Companion fabric on Parson chairs

13 years ago
I bought some fabric on clearance to reupholster an old set of parsons chairs however, when I got home I realized I'm short! Now I need to find a fabric to accompany a very bold pattern. PLEASE HELP

Comments (27)

  • 13 years ago
    Take one of the colors in the pattern and buy solid fabric and use for the seat portion of the chairs. How much were you short?
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest a striped fabric that is striped with the colors of the chair but striped fabric is a pain to work with. Solid would be easiest and I'd do a different color for the ones at the head and foot of the table.
  • 13 years ago
    The fact that you need to do the backs in something else might be a blessing in disguise. Although the fabric is fun and colorful, a pop of it; as opposed to the main attraction, might be sufficient. The room appears to be yellow, so you might consider another color from the floral fabric, such as teal or green. It would be tough to match the red perfectly. Good luck with this. You've done a great job so far! :-)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Fun and funky chairs love them!!!!!
    Fab job well done.Would love to sit round your table on these chairs
    Just a thought
    As saa419........ Has already suggested picking a colour from the already covered part of the chair.
    (Why not pick separate colours for each of the backs)


    Or stripes as tcufrog......suggested.(maybe on just two chairs
    And then plain on the others )
    Yes...... It may have been a blessing in disguise.
    I think ..........
    The chairs were never meant to match
    Things happen for a reason
    Good luck please post pics
  • 13 years ago
    What color are the legs?
  • 13 years ago
    Cool chairs by the way
  • 13 years ago
    Bring a piece of fabric with you ,go with red for the back .
  • 13 years ago
    Take one color out of chair color, and use on reminding chairs. The teal is nice. These are bold. May want other chairs less.
  • 13 years ago
    Hparks74 ... I stained the legs a dark cherry color
  • 13 years ago
    These are great chairs. Solid or stripes on the back sounds like the perfect solution to me I have an extensive fabric stash in my quilt room but I would remember if I had this. I do not. Sort of wish I did - looks so fun!
  • 13 years ago
    Black and white houndstooth looks great with this fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    I think ticking would look great on the back - easy for me to say, since I won't be the one wrestling with the stripes:) Good luck and post pics when you're done!
  • 13 years ago
    Cracking fabric, and it is SO nice to see someone going bold! I'd pull a few of the colours (red, yellow, black), and mix and match backs, fronts, and seats throughout, if you can.

    Meanwhile, did you try searching for more of the fabric online? Use google images, and try terms like bright, floral, flowers, red, and so on.
  • 13 years ago
    Found it! It's called Wilton Cabana, red, and BB&B sell it by the yard:

    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/85583-wilton-fabric-by-the-yard-cabana.html
  • 13 years ago
    @bobblyjock........ Good call google can do good after all
    But I do think ..... Christine sharkey Ran out of fabric for a reason
    They were not meant to be covered in all the same fabric
  • 13 years ago
    Your chairs would look awesome with a corset back like these
  • 13 years ago
    If you did corset back you could do a black solid with white ribbon, or even choose one of the other colors like the turquoise or red
  • 13 years ago
    LOVE the corset idea!! However, I definitely have not perfected my sewing skills enough to pull this off yet. Your ideas are all fantastic! Thank you
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @christine ........ Think all you need do is just sew little tabs on the back of the
    Chairs and then thread the ribbon through
    Or just sew the ribbon to the back of the chair forming the corset effect as you go thus no need for the little tabs
    If you have covered these chairs then
    This will be easy!!!!!!
    Good luck
    With what ever you decide to do
  • 13 years ago
    They have these little metal loops you use.
  • 13 years ago
    @hparks even better ...... So no sewing little loops
  • 13 years ago
    Consider using plain blue denim similar to blue jeans on the backs. Why? Because the floral pattern already has a folksy, country look and blue denim is used quite regularly in that style of decorating. I have upholstered pieces in blue denim for customers to be used in country style settings and it looked great. Denim is also easy to work with on furniture and its durable.
  • 13 years ago
    It would be fun to do what Lonnie suggested and incorporate a back denim jeans pocket on the back. You could tuck in the pocket all sorts of decor such as place cards, flowers, etc. It would be fun and unique.
  • 13 years ago
    Obviously not an answer to your question, but you did an amazing job on those chairs! I am really impressed- I'd definitely buy a few of them!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi ....... Love to know how your chair backs are coming along
  • 13 years ago
    I'm just waiting for the metal tack strips to be delivered since I can't seem to find them in any stores near me. As soon as they come ill finally be able to finish them up! I can't wait and ill be sure to post the finished chairs :-)