mcc371

2018 New Year THEME Swap

mcc371- Tammy M.

It's that time of year for New Beginnings and a fresh start to a New Year!
So, let's share our love of seeds with one another by having a "theme" swap.

What is a theme garden? Well, it's any garden built around a particular theme. Probably the all-time classic one you have heard about is the herb garden, or the vegetable garden. You could build it around a color - moon garden (all white), love garden (all red). You can build it around plant requirements (smart gardeners do this, I'm not one of them, LOL) - shade garden, sun garden, woodland garden, etc. It can be any idea at all, really - be creative! Some people collect plants that have the names of their family members or they like plants that have animal names (like tiger lily.) When I participated last year, I would see the ideas others posted and kept thinking, "I want that one, too!" I currently have a couple, and have some new ideas for this year. It is going to be lots of FUN!!!!

Please sign up on this post up through January 12, 2018.
List your theme gardens, and any particular seeds you might like for them. Also, update your "Seeds Wanted" file, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the swap - some of us look at those and add in any matches we might have! Then, watch others' posts and start gathering seeds.
You may designate seeds for a specific person, but please put them in a separate baggy with their name rather than indicating it on the packet. That way, all of that person's packets are in one baggy.
Seeds should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packs; So as to cut down on sorting bulk seeds. You can add bonus packs that are ones that you are basically giving away (please include a sticky note with "Bonus" on them.) and that you don't expect something in return.

All types of seeds are welcome. However, if you only want vegetable seeds or only want flower seeds, or whatever, please let me know. I will do the best I can to fullfill that request based on what is sent in.
You are welcome to send in as many as you like - surplus will be distributed as I see fit.
If there is alot left I will do a "leftover" pick email at end of swap.
Seeds need to be sent to me no later than by January 29th, so I can redistribute them,

I plan to have the seeds in the mail back to you for an early February arrival date.
Please only send seeds that were harvested or purchased in 2016 or up to this year. Please let me know if you are willing to accept seeds from previous years before 2016.
You will need to send your seeds to me in a bubble mailer envelope. Include a self-addressed label with your seeds. Keep the labels fairly small so I can try to re-use the bubble mailer you send when I return seeds to you or send a mailer that is sufficiently large. Inside the mailer include a listing of the seeds you have sent, a copy of your theme garden list and seed wishes, and your GW name.

Most importantly: Please include postage to equal the amount of postage or more it costs you to send your package.

Some themes I have seen or heard of over the years and there is lots more:

Gemstones - (topaz, opal, quartz, diamond, emerald, ruby, etc.)

Classical Herb - (Italian Basil Pesto, Lavender, Mint, Rosemary)
Vegetable - (tomato, pepper, cucumber)

Numbers Garden (Four O'Clocks, Five Spot)
Foliage that is "Anything But Green" (Gray, brown, or purple foliage)

Fairytale garden (fairy, pixie, dwarf, gnome, dragon, wizard, treasure, or miniature in the name)

I love reading everyone's ideas. I will be gathering seeds and hunting through my seed box to find things that everyone will like!

Games will be posted soon too.

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Tammy (mcc371)

Send Seeds to:

Tammy Mc Clearen

Box 1921

Seminole, Texas 79360

• Karen (Nebr)

Congratulations none the less!

• yotetrapper

Wow it is my year for being lucky I guess. I won two contests here and two contests on the Wish List swap as well. Guess I need to buy a lottery ticket, lol. Just got my package from the other swap, now I can hardly wait for this one... I better get planting the seeds I just got before these ones get here too. Thanks!

How to make my 8 year old room more masculine?

Orange would be a great addition, maybe a sand or tan as well. The white furniture is fine as it adds a contemporary feel. The Orange would make everything POP and you can find some pillows, throws and rugs through PB teen or something similar. We painted my sons room with 2 tan walls and 2 orange walls, blue bedding. It was superb. You could go with a surfer theme with the current bedding you have already!

Travel themed vaulted "Plant Ledge" with contemporary flair.

I did upload them - but I'll try again! Thanks.

Bathroom Design in 100 Year Old Home

I might be bothered by it if I saw it. Please note that I stated above "if they work together", suggesting that you make that decision. I thought you said you had travertine in adjacent areas to the bath. Therefore I believe it would look better if you can run the same color tile into the bathroom. I don't think that the love affair that we're having with gray tones will last beyond another 5 years. That's my belief. Others may believe differently. That's what I meant by "gray will be out of our systems in another 5 years". If it were my bathroom I would much rather have to change the countertop material than have to change a huge area of flooring.

Should I just start over and buy new cabinets

Honestly, I'm a bit lost as to where you are in the process. I read most of the posts and perused the rest and one minute it was keeping the cabinets and the next not and vice versa - or so it seemed. So, if you AREN'T keeping them, I just want to say that I'm a bit sad because I think there is always a place for unique. If you are getting new cabinets and are looking into a standalone piece over that palm tree, it really would be a nice homage to use the old doors where you can on it. It might be 80s and not "real" art but it does have a nice vibe that really identifies your home as Floridian. I'm not a huge fan of the backsplash - it's very heavy looking. The countertop is nice but make sure with it being light that the material won't stain. I'm not a big fan of beige but I make exceptions for countertops! If you want green, put it on the walls, a piece of furniture (like a cabinet on your long wall) or accessories. The right backsplash in green could also work but it would have to be just right. Again, you'll be living with it for a long time. As a final note, don't switch to stainless steel just because you think it's trendy. SS has a lot of problems of it's own - it limits your style, looks poor after a short time, shows fingerprints, smudges and cleaning efforts, etc. The tide is turning on it and designers/manufacturers are actually going back to white & black. I've had white appliances ever since I got rid of my avocado ones (just aged myself!) and they always look just as good years later as when I purchase them, as well as helping to make my kitchen look bright and clean.
  • mcc371- Tammy M.

Just wanted to update that I haven't been on over weekend as I am sick - went to Doctor this morning and I have the flu typeA. It has been rough. My daughter has been coming over and helping me and taking good care of me. Hope to be better soon.

She has been helping also with the seed packets. Hope to have them back in mail late next week or sooner.

• EricaBraun

Take care, Tammy. The flu this year is the worst. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• beth_b_kodiak

Yes, do take care I can't ever remember being as sick as with this ful. Sending prayers for all the many who are sick.

• sandlapper_rose

Rest and recover, Tammy. No problem at all. I'm sure you don't feel like doing anything.

• midwestfarmwife

Oh, I hate to hear you have the flu Tammy. I've never had a flu shot, but maybe it's a good idea. It seems so many people have had it this year. I'm sure we're all on the same page when we say not to worry about this trade until you are well. I've become a real germ-a-phobe and carry hand sanitizer everywhere I go, but not sure how much it helps.

• jlhart76

That stinks! And as others said, health trumps seeds. Get to feeling better soon, we'll get our seeds in plenty of time to play in the dirt.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

Thank you all for the get well wishes. I have never felt so bad. It is awful. I hope you all stay well.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )

Tammy, Please don't worry about getting the seeds out while you are sick. You are very fortunate to have your daughter taking care of you. I hope you will be feeling better soon.

• yotetrapper

As everyone else said, just get better before you worry about the swap. Waiting a few extra days for the seeds isn't gonna kill any of us.

• SusieQsie_Fla

I'm in total agreement that you should get completely well before you stress yourself with all the seeds. Even if the flu seems to be gone, it can be nasty and come back to punish you for getting up too soon.

We want you to be good and healthy, Tammy-Girl. You're my inspiration!

• Diknownana

Tammy - sorry to hear you have been sick. This winter has been rough. That's why I haven't been very active. I've had something off and on for the past month. Hope you are doing better! Take care! Di

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6

I was out of state for a while, so that's why I haven't been replying here on the thread. I hope you're feeling better, Tammy! I agree with everyone else, just get yourself better first before worrying about the swap.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

Thank you all for the warm get well thoughts. I am doing some better I pretty much laid on the couch last week trying to get over this mess.

A little garden humor for your day from the mouth of my 26 yr old....

My daughter is working at a turtle pace on the seeds as she hasn't never had to help me in past but luckily with the system I use she is picking it up quickly. She says she has learned alot that she didn't know. Like there is so many different varieties of tomatoes in all kinds of colors (indigo tomato) LOL! She said who gave these flowers science names? I was like what? She said Antirrhinum? I said so what type of flower is that she said a snapdragon flower. She said if I hadn't looked it up I wouldn't have knew whether it was a flower, vegetable, or fruit. I just laughed at her I said well most write the common names used. She said thank goodness as I would be useless. I said it shouldn't matter anyway everyone should have them in baggies and you just write their name and count down on the sheet and then drop in the Ziploc files according to baggie name. Quit trying to build a mountain in the garden. She just laughed at me.

Everyone have a blessed day I am off to see the doctor.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine's day and received lots of gardening things... ya just can't plant chocolate! LOL! What did everyone do?

I am feeling lots better and gonna try to pick the pace up on this swap and get it ready to mail back as I have some ready.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

I am Karen. I sure don't want this to relapse. It has been awful. That news story is sure sad. She was a beautiful lady.

• Karen (Nebr)

It's terrifying how dangerous this flu is so better safe than sorry.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

I have a pkg with only Jen gaskill on outside of package-can you please claim? The packs inside only have a name to who they are to no name from. Thanks!

• jlhart76

Sorry, was in a hurry to get them out that I forgot to label. That's mine.

• Janet

Coming late to the conversation after a death in the family. I'm sorry you were so ill. I hope you're on the mend now, and I'll second what everyone else said: take your time packaging up all the seeds. Take care of you first.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

So sorry to hear of your loss Janet.

I am doing better, just got a lingering cough that doesn't seem to want to go away.

We are almost ready for seeds to go in the mail. I am hoping by next Monday we have them all shipped out.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

Just wanted to update everyone. Packages are being sealed and I am packing prizes.. these garden babies are almost ready to come home. Packing surprises, lots of goodies. Mailing will start tomorrow afternoon. We received lots of bonus so I divided them all up and hope there is something that you will all enjoy. So random packets are added bonuses.

Thank you all for being so patient I have just struggled with this flu, cough business some days I feel lots better then others the heavy chest sets in... Yuck!

Ready for spring and summer to see all my beautiful garden seeds that each of you blessed me with growing.. Thank You so much for all your generous gifts of seed.

• EricaBraun

Woo hoo! Thank you so much, Tammy! I'm excited to see what we get back!

• midwestfarmwife

Me too! Tammy, don't push too hard until you are completely over that dreadful flu.

• yotetrapper

Yay can't wait to check the mail next week now!

• mcc371- Tammy M.

Fixing to head to the post office to send the last couple packages off. This has been a great swap outside of getting sick during it. Hope that didn't inconvenience anyone too much... I hope you enjoy everything you receive as these packs are heavy. Hope you all have a beautiful year and may all your crops be blessed. It's funny how you wish you could see the look on people's faces when they receive their packs. Let me know when you get them, I have tracking numbers if needed.

• helenb1949

Got my seeds and I am blown away. What a wonderful variety of veggies. I can hardly wait to get them growing. Thank you for allowing me to join this group of such generous gardeners. I also want to thank Tammy for hosting this. I am sure it was a lot more work than most of us know. :-)

• browneyedsusan_gw

I was absolutely amazed to receive a package of seeds yesterday-I wasn't expecting them so soon. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful seeds you sent! I plan to start them this weekend. Thanks Tammy for all the work you put into this swap!

Susan

• EricaBraun

Getting excited! Now that people are receiving, I'm going to have to keep an extra close eye on the mailbox!

• Kelli

got mine! thanks so much to everyone! so many interesting things in here, great surprises!!! thanks again to tammy for hosting this swap!! :)

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6

I was surprised to get mine today! Thanks, Tammy and everyone who participated! I got a few things that I've wanted for a very long time. I also got quite a few different varieties of the things I want to grow this year, so I couldn't be more pleased with how this swap turned out!

• jlhart76

I signed up for that informed delivery thing a while back, so now I'm stalking my notifications. Expected delivery Mar 5.

• Diknownana

My seeds made it :)! Thank you Tammy and everyone for all the wonderful seeds. Looking so forward to warm weather and planting time. Tammy - I hope you are still taking care of yourself.

• Karen (Nebr)

Thank you Tammy, I got mine yesterday and WOW so many wonderful seeds it was amazing! Some I had to Google and so I went from not knowing to must have. Thank you all so very much!

• poisondartfrog

There were some very nice seeds in my packet.

Thanks to everyone who put their names on the packets they sent. And a shout out to Jensyn and one other person who sent tomato seeds that matched my Cabin Fever Theme. Abe Lincoln and Homestead respectively were perfect matches and never occurred to me.

For the person that sent Australia Canna seeds, thank you, but for future swaps you should know that what you sent were the parts of an empty seed capsule. Canna seeds are large, smooth, and usually either dark brown or black.

Have a good season, everyone.

• sandlapper_rose

We were gone for the weekend so I am just now getting my package of seeds from my neighbor who collected our mail and newspaper for us. I am so excited. I've participated in this swap for several years and hosted a time or two and this has been the best ever! Thank you to all the participants for your creativity and generosity. Even my horses will have some happy treats as the results of "Horsing Around'. Loved the ideas people had for the Periodic Table as well. All of the themes were well represented. It's always such fun to see which seeds are selected.

Thank you! Thank you ! Thank you!

Also, thank you to Tammy once again. I hope you are feeling much better.

Jeanne

• jensyen ( z7 MD )

Received my very stuffed mailer today. Wonderful seeds from everyone. Many thanks to our wonderful host, Tammy and everyone who participated.

Happy Gardening! Jen

• beth_b_kodiak

My packet of seeds arrived today and I agree with whoever said this is the best one ever.

I got fantastic seeds and am delighted. Special thanks to those who sent Fava beans. I have been wanting to try them for years. So exciting to get them from garden trading friends

The squash selections were super too. A bunch of types that are new to me and several old favorites that I have not grown in a while. Past two years I have been growing just one from each family so I could save seeds. This year I am going to "grow them all" I may need to borrow space from the grape vines or pasture but whatever it takes. I'm excited about the fall display. Whhhooooowho.

Tammy you did a knock out job on this and I can't thank you and all the traders enough. Yes, best swap ever.

• jlhart76

Sooo, looks like I have a problem. I'm going through all my goodies, separating them into "yes, gotta plant it" and "not this year". My "no" pile has 3 packets, and that's only because i already have some growing. So I'm off to find more containers, soil, and figure out where to plant all these (especially the "what is that" selections).

• nottougly

My seeds made it. Thank's Tammy and everyone for all the fabulous seeds.

I can't wait to start planting.

Happy Gardening everyone.

Thanks,

Faye!

• SusieQsie_Fla

My envelope arrived today, too and wow! I got so many cool seeds, most of them I haven’t had before and are going to be such fun to grow out.

Thanks to all my fellow gardening friends who had such good seed ideas to fit my themes. I know my garden beds will be more special because the seeds came to me from such wonderful folks.

Thanks again to Tammy for a great job organizing this awesome swap again this year.

Here’s to lots of happy gardens this season!

Susie

• faerygardener z7 CA

Alana - Mea Culpa!! That was me - I just Googled it and saw what it should look like. Strange as the hummers fight over the flowers, so they should have been pollinated, but even the closed seedheads I went to check on the last of them don't have a big round inside. Apologies extended to Tammy, Diane and Susan as I'd also sent you those seedheads. Dang, I usually know what I'm doing, but don't start canna from seed and it's the first time I tried to collect from them.

Thank you folks! Got my package, lots of gems - going through with Google open to see what the ones are I don't know.

Tammy thank you for the gift!!!

• EricaBraun

Woohoo! Got my seeds! I just cracked up the pack and wanted to come thank everyone who sent seeds for me. Also, a big thank you to Tammy, for hosting and for the prizes! It looks like it's going to be a great pack. Time to go dig in. Thanks again to everyone!

• poisondartfrog

No worries faerygardener, some Canna varieties are sterile. Australia may be one of them.

• mcc371- Tammy M.

Gosh, what a way to brighten my day to come on here to check on arrival of packs and see all these comments. The joy, smiles and kindness what a beautiful world! Thank you all I have been away for a few days seeing my mother n law and taking care of some family matters it is good to drop in and see it looks like Christmas morning in here. Have fun and enjoy.

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Tammy

• Janet

Coming late to the party as usual. Thank you all so much for the wonderful seeds, and thank you, Tammy, for organizing the swap. I had a blast poring through all the seeds. I'm pretty sure I rubbed my hands together like Mr. Burns and cackled evilly a few times. I'm going to be a winter sowing machine this weekend. Thanks so much!

• yotetrapper

Sorry I didn't get on here right away. I just started a new job on Monday (in a garden center!!) and when I got home Monday evening my seeds were waiting for me. I got to agree with those that said this was the best theme swap yet! My envelope was bulging! I got so many nice seeds and can't wait to start planting them all. I've already planted a couple, lol.

I was blown away by the selection of herbs, I believe I got one of just about every herb there is, to the point that while I originally just planned on tucking them in here and there, I've now decided to do a raised bed garden just for herbs!

Thanks to everyone that sent seeds, and especially to Tammy for hosting. It was a great swap!

• midwestfarmwife

Wow! A big, fat, bulging envelope was in our mailbox today. Thank you so much to Tammy and her daughter for their hard work despite illness and to all you gardening pals who filled my theme wishes. I received so many fantastic seeds to try and share with my friends. Thanks to Erica for winning the nice list pads for us. It really helps to have a 'to do' list, and mine are always long. Tammy also sent a 2 yr. planner with flower photos on each month which will be put to good use. I can't wait to see all these seeds grow into beautiful flowers and tasty veggies!