Software
Houzz Logo Print
iwonaniz

Need help with kitchen backsplash

8 years ago
I need to help choosing the backsplash. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (23)

  • 8 years ago

    second tile from right less busy...


  • 8 years ago
    Not sure that any of them work. The third from the left seems the best but it's hard to tell if the colors work together. Perhaps if you could get several samples of the tike that you like best you might be able to better judge. Good luck.
  • 8 years ago

    I think they are all too busy and compete with the countertop.

  • 8 years ago
    I agree that they are too busy for the counter and none of the colors seem quite right. I will say it...how about just a white subway, maybe something with texture but a uniform color?
  • 8 years ago

    I love the counters, is that Statuario Quartz? You need something with less movement since the counter veins are so prominent and I would do more of a solid white. Your kitchen is very similar to mine, I have white shaker, white marble tops with a bit of gray veining and I chose a white marble back splash tile.


  • 8 years ago

    If you want the countertop to be the star then none of those choices

  • 8 years ago

    I would go with a larger and less busy option.

  • 8 years ago
    Also post your FLOORS. This is an important factor when deciding.
  • 8 years ago

    I think they are all too busy TBH. Go with white subway tile.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you all for your advices. This is my other choice. What do you think?
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    the elongated hex. love those,,vertical placement. the arabesque is the wrong color. if you want that shape, you need it in the white marble.

    https://tilebar.com/shop-by-tile-shape-and-pattern/arabesque.html

  • 8 years ago

    You paid a lot of money for a beautiful counter and waterfall. If you do a busy backsplash, you'll greatly diminish the effect of that investment.

    I'd look for a solid gray, whether in arabesque like the last picture (but a lighter shade and warmer tone), or any other shape, and grout it to match. That will give contrast with the cabinets, bring out the veining of the counters, and let the the total ensemble shine.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you Beth. It's not to busy right?
  • 8 years ago
    I like the elongated hex too, but I am wondering if it is not too busy and goes good with the countertop and island.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    you will get many opinions on here about what is 'busy'. Some think your countertop is 'busy' because it has veining. I'm not one of them. I've seen your countertop with all sorts of backsplashes, some, a lot busier than what you've picked for tile.

    you have a small backsplash area to tile. it's not like it's going to overpower the room, or that waterfall edge island. It's going to compliment it.

    line up your hex tiles and place them around the backsplash. use tape and remove them from the plastic if you have to. Its the only way you can know for sure. take another pic after you have them taped up on the wall.

    take a look on instagram of these Tilebar collections. it may give you some perspective when they use their water jet mosaics and other busier look tiles.

    https://www.instagram.com/tilebar/

    (these pics are just so you can see your type of counter w/different tiles. I'm not suggesting you use these w/yours!)

    I love this VZAG tile. some people cringe because it's so busy. Look at the countertop w/this tile. too much for you? if not, your hex will be fine

    these are all similar counters w/ 'busy' tile work. they all look fine to me.

    and one of a subway. honestly, this pattern isn't much different from the hex.

    I tell people to pick what they like. take a good look at it after you have all the samples taped up. do you like it? that's all that matters

    are you doing any finish trim work to the tops of the cabinets so the gap is covered? I hope so.

  • 8 years ago

    I am in the plain subway tile camp, BUT of the second set of tiles that you showed, I like the 2nd from the left, the lighter elongated hex but I like it horizontal!!

  • 8 years ago
    I normally love the tiles Beth’s posts but I have to say the VZAG and the encaustic type patterns just do not work with this counter (and my teenage boys do say ‘cringe’ when anything is awkward and those two would be extremely ‘cringe’). With that said, yes I do agree you don’t have to go subway with your counter but there is a balance you need to achieve. Good advice for taping up any tiles you are considering with the correct lighting and the flooring taken into consideration. And yes you above all should like it with the additional goal that not one person will ‘cringe’ :)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    thinkdesignlive,,, I wasn't suggesting she use those tiles with her counter. The reason I posted those pics was to show her that something other than white subway is often used. I posted the pics so she could see that busier, flashier backsplashes are used w/her type of counter, and don't necessarily look busy.

    The VZAG and flashy encaustic are very specific types of tiles that don't appeal to the majority of people. I just wanted her to see that the counter still looks good w/other types of splashes and doesn't require something plain in white or gray. That's all it was for.

    (and while I wouldn't necessarily choose the VZAG for that kitchen, I happen to like the looks of it and hardly think it's 'cringe worthy'!)

  • 8 years ago
    how about a subway tile . countertops to beautiful to have to compete with backsplash.
  • 8 years ago

    I actually like the arabesque you picked (the blue-ish glass one)! It gives it gorgeous color. Or any creamy shades in an arabesque that match the counters.....

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Maybe a solid grey or solid white? It seems the other ones you have might be too busy.


  • 8 years ago

    margarita,,read the comments from the beginning. she doesn't want solid white or gray. this has been discussed.