Software
Houzz Logo Print
mjchattam

Living Room Blank Space Dilemma

8 years ago
Help! I don’t know what I should put on the right side of my entertainment center. I had my Christmas tree there, but now that the holidays are over, the blank space is killing me! I’m not sure if I should put another plant or maybe an ottoman?

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago
    Or this style?
  • 8 years ago
    I wouldn’t put anything to the right of the entertainment centre. Less is more and to me there is already enough going on there.
  • 8 years ago

    I'd say nix to the ottoman as it wouldn't look as though it had any use at all other than being tucked inro the corner (although I think the second one you posted is really cute). Would a magazine rack be enough to fill the empty hole in your heart? Allmodern has a good selection in various styles -- I must say I'm not sure whether your style preference is more transitional or more modern (from the dining area). Eclectic, I guess. In which case, either of these would give you an attractive shape to look at.

    https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/sb0/magazine-newspaper-racks-c367047.html

  • 8 years ago

    Your wall looks assymetrical because it is (due to the doorway). Before you add anything, you might try centering the entertainment centre under the peak, and placing the plant on the right side. I suspect you might need a taller plant, to visually balance the doorway, but maybe not. Not that you asked but, the mantle decor might also be contributing to your sense of “something missing”. You could try more colourful, possibly taller, items there. (Your wall mirror also appears to be off centre, but that could simply be the camera angle.) Personally, I love your rug and the floor candles but they read much more traditional to me than the coffee table and your dining room decor. You might consider adding/replacing some decor items to “tip the balance” one way or the other.

    mjchattam thanked enjoythejourney
  • 8 years ago
    another plant may do the trick. space looks as though it can fit another small table for the identical plant to the left.
  • 8 years ago

    I agree with the comments about the mantle area. I took away the floor candle holders since the style does not match. I like the idea of putting the dining art piece above the mantle, however the clock that is currently there is hiding 2 plug outlets. Those would be seen with the other artwork. I think I will look for a bigger artwork piece and some other accents for the mantle at Homegoods this weekend, perhaps a new rug also. I like the idea of another plant or chair, but I'm afraid that either the plant wont grow the same and it will look off balance, or that a chair may be too big for the space. Thanks everyone!

  • 8 years ago
    That’s not a very social space: you need a couple of chairs facing the sofa. Eye contact is important for conversation.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Think smaller maybe armless chair for the corner. Maybe buy one if you find at home goods to try it out. If looking for new art over fireplace go much larger or a grouping of several pieces

  • 8 years ago
    What color chair would you choose?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Since it looks like you are try to stay mono chromatic with just a little color either the burnt orange or the cream. If cream get a throw in the burnt image to drape over it as I think that side of room could use just a little color. If getting new rug that may drive the chair

  • 8 years ago

    How about trying this: center the t.v. under the peak; move the shelving unit on the left to the right so the two shelving units are side-by-side. Then get a taller plant stand and move the plant to where the mirror is.

  • 8 years ago

    I'd consider downsizing and simplifying the entertainment center. These days, all you should really need is a low credenza with a TV resting on it (maybe some small speakers). The smaller that black mass, the more chance you have to add color, art, and plants, which the room could really use.

  • 8 years ago

    I like the idea of centering the tv unit under the peak. That would leave room to put a comfy chair and possibly a floor lamp to the right of the unit. I also like the idea of placing that very large art piece over the fireplace and placing the orange piece( a clock ? ) in the dining area to carry the orange all the way through. Your look is quite contemporary...... insider replacing the chandelier over the dining table, as it very traditional.

    PS....if hubby misses the lock, get one for the shelves in entertainment unit.


  • 8 years ago
    I would change your plain drapes to something with pattern and pop which would brighten the corner without adding more “stuff”.
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz