nspitzzeri

Co-ed Bunk Room dilemma

nspitzzeri

We are moving in to a house with a beautiful bunk room that will be shared by our 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son. I am having the hardest time trying to figure out how to make it look different for the boys bunks vs girls bunks, yet cohesive! I am thinking white comforters on all 4 beds but different colored pillows and throws. PLEASE HELP!! Favorite colors are Pink & Purple, and Blue, Red and Orange. I DID find the perfect rug to tie it all together!

• Fori

What the heck!!?? A bunkroom? Is this an actual Thing people do? Like on purpose instead of as a last ditch effort to make a vacation home work? Like not in a fifth wheel?

Sorry. They do look cool. I just had no idea this was going on in regular homes!

Is that a photo of your actual space? Are there really no other bedrooms you could use? I'd make it a playroom. Put desks on the lower level and a private reading/beanbag area on the top. The kids could keep all their junk in there and share a normal bedroom.

• nspitzzeri

"That rug is terrible" is an awful response. I can easily look up bunk rooms on Pinterest. I was looking for more constructive help. But thank you for your feedback.

I'm not interested in making this room two rooms. They are on a separate floor from us and I don't want them in two separate rooms until they are a bit older. My daughters future room will be our guest room until then.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

How is that rug terrible? I like it very much!

IMPO, white comforters for kids' beds might be a big regret. What about stripes or a stain-hiding pattern? Target has so much cute kids bedding & accessories. Perhaps you could let each child pick out a favorite design or color?

Are they to be using the top or bottom bunks for sleeping? You might try individualizing their sleeping bunks and matching the other 2.

https://www.target.com/c/kids-bedding-collections-home/-/N-55xbqZnelkz#Sort=Featured&clearCategId=55xbq&Nao=24

nspitzzeri thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

While bunk beds and bunk rooms are fun, there is an expiration date for them. My guess is you have about 4 years max before your daughter is over sleeping in a bunk bed and sharing a room with her brother. So my advice is to not invest too much into the space.

Try to find some fun bedding. It doesn't have to be solid print, or even matching, but it should be cohesive. If it's patterned, make sure the patterns are on a similar scale and style. For example, geometric small patterns, but they don't have to be exactly the same. I'd hold off on the rug until you find bedding, which should always be a starting off point in bedrooms.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a

My point was the same as deco's--the beds are hard to make. Her description of the sheets is good. Then, get a coverlet that is the same size as the mattress so you don't have all the extra on the edges!

• bpath

Lands End used to carry bedding that had a fitted foot. My kids had their fitted foot comforter, fleece blanket, and the sheet set had a typically fitted bottom sheet and the top sheet had a fitted foot. For the college dorm I went to BetterBedding.com and had them make an XLTwin fitted foot comforter. There's other companies, too, that make custom bedding. The kid's dorm bed always looked somewhat tidy instead of all the others where the comforter etc are hanging diagonally off the bed. Much easier to make, too, since you don't have to tuck in the corners.

That's a really cute rug.

• frenchtarragon

I wouldn't go out of my way to try to distinguish boy vs girl bunks. I think you were on the right path with neutral bedding. Then let each child pick accessories s/he likes. Children's interest change so rapidly these days, so using accessories to add personality allows you to keep up with the changes easily. Throw pillows, throw blankets, artwork, wall decor, and curtains can all add personality and are easily changeable. To be honest, it's a kids room; it doesn't need to look like a magazine spread, and as other have mentioned, your kids' room-sharing days are numbered.

• eandhl2

If I had the bunks you show I would consider a fitted sheet on the mattress and youth washable sleeping bags.

• Emily Jowers

I love the rooms where they don't match. There is a clear my side and their side. It's fun and they both get to decorate their own space and have a space that they are comfortable in. Like d_gw's picture.

Or you can keep it really sleek and monotone and let them put personality in it with their toys, stuffed animals, books, etc.

Since there are just two of them with 4 beds, It would be cool to make each of the lower (or upper depending on where they are sleeping) into their own personal space that they can decorate however they want.

Sabrina Alfin Interiors

I'd just pick up colors from the rug and make the whole room gender-neutral. Serena and Lily has great bedding, as does The Company Store. Alternatively, since you've got a rustic theme going, get some beautiful Pendleton national park blankets to give it a camp-like feel.

nspitzzeri thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • auntthelma

I love bunk rooms!! I'd probably simply have each child pick his or her own comforter. I love the rug. I think white would be pretty, but not very practical.

nspitzzeri thanked auntthelma
  • kmcnarney
    Cute space! Like others have said, they will be a pain to make. Check out Beddys.com - I purchased a set for my sons cabin bed after struggling with a traditional comforter that always ended up looking terrible. The Beddys are super cute, nice quality and easy for young kids to zip closed. I like your idea of neutral bedding and then fun pillows to mix things up.
    nspitzzeri thanked kmcnarney
  • aprilneverends

a) I like that rug

b) my kids(a girl and a boy) shared a room until they were 14 and 10, respectively. I also shared a room with my brother until he went to college( I was 12 I think). That was a great experience and me and my brother were close and talked a lot(obviously we fought too sometimes, as siblings do, but it's normal. What's sad is when siblings don't feel close to each other. After all they'll be the ones who supposedly will stay in each other's life forever). My kids are very close now too. Of course would depend on individuals, everyone's different.

c) several years out of all the time my kids shared a room, they had a bunk bed from IKEA-and as it was a rental apartment and we had carpet, we used this Kura(if I remember correctly) bed that's not too high, and put the bottom mattress directly on the floor. The beds were always made since I insisted on it. When I was a little girl we didn't have beds at all-we had sleeper sofas that had to be dressed as beds for a night, and totally redone into sofas in the morning, with the bedding going in special chest. I did it every day for years, and when I didn't have school I did it for everyone's bed in the house too. That was one of my chores. So obviously not that convenient but I don't see a big problem either.

d) I wouldn't go out of my way to match, we took kids to IKEA wth us and they chose bedding they liked. Then i was lucky to find very nice Italian throws in Macy's, for a song. They were plaid and of very cheerful colors. Many colors so they'd go with virtually any bedding out there. They went on top of comforters, as coverlets, and tied things together just enough. They did have pink and purple and blue and green and whatnot. I still have them and use them in our guest room as an option for when guests would like an addittional layer

forgot my alphabet lol) that's a very nice room

nspitzzeri thanked aprilneverends
  • deegw

If you let the kids choose, find a few choices that you like and let them pick from your choices. It's their room but you have to look at it every day and you are paying :)

nspitzzeri thanked deegw
  • marcia4963

Congrats what a fun room. Personally I dislike kid themed rooms. I love the idea of that bright rug. I would keep it simple and not worry about their favorite colorS. You could pick fun fabric to place under the top bunks to hide the slats so they see that while reading or going to bed. It can be changed easily!

nspitzzeri thanked marcia4963

I love that bunk room and I would just keep it simple they honestly don’t care much at that age and wait until they do. What a great spot for sleepovers.

nspitzzeri thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Anglophilia

Stick with blue and white and you'll be fine for years to come. I would do duvets and no top sheet - making those beds is a bear.

nspitzzeri thanked Anglophilia
  • eastautumn

I love the rug you're considering and think it would go with a variety of choices for bedding. You've already gotten so many great suggestions (I especially love the inspiration picture from Black-ish, though a more neutral rug might work better if you go that route) so I don't have any additional suggestions there.

I wanted to comment on the room sharing... Maybe, as several have suggested, your kids will outgrow wanting to sleep in the same room in the not-too-distant future, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that. My siblings and I had separate rooms, but my sister and I still preferred to share a room, and my little brother slept for years on my trundle bed out of choice. We liked having our own spaces during the day, but loved sharing a room at night. My older brother, on the other hand, always slept in his own room. Regardless of how long your kids will enjoy sleeping in the space, I think it's nice that you're putting effort into making it look pretty. It will be great for sleepovers and visitors after they outgrow it.

nspitzzeri thanked eastautumn
  • Pamela Mountjoy

Love the bunk beds!

Using a neutral color for the beds and adding pops of color through pillows and throws is always a great idea. I like to use grey as a neutral, it looks great with pink, purple, blue, and orange. You could use a more blue/grey to go with your rug.

If you are able to find a colorful pattern comforter like stripes or some fun geometric shape in their favorite colors that would be fun. I would try to get the same pattern for both of them. I found some ideas.

I love the colors they used and they both have the same fun pattern.

This is very simple but the two colors and patterns work together even though they aren't the same. I think because the patterns are small and you can still see the white in the bedding.

Would love to see how it turns out.

Good luck!

nspitzzeri thanked Pamela Mountjoy
  • marcia4963

I love your bunk room. bunk rooms are sweet, your rug is amazing.....whatever you decide to do will be fab. ox

• LynnNM

Dear Original Poster: I totally agree with you, "BeverlyFladdeziner's" response to you was incredibly rude, uncalled for, and I would urge you to file a complaint with the Houzz People here. Many of us who were here before all of the "designers” started posting have also been complaining about some who post rude remarks. Or, who push their own businesses without actually answering your question. Regardless of whether she or anyone else doesn't care for your rug (I love it, by the way), you didn't ask if you should buy the rug. You actually said you liked it. People here, designers and others, need to STICK TO ANSWERING THE QUESTION ASKED! I am so sorry for the rudeness of some here. Personally, I was flat-out shocked by her response. Please know most of us go out of our way to help, especially us "Oldies" who have been here before, and before that with Gardenweb. Best wishes decorating your wonderful kids' room! I do hope that you'll take the time to come back to show us what you ended up doing.

Lynn

• jo_in_tx

My suggestion is denim or chambray coverlet or quilts. Then, the kids could each pick out their own sheet designs. Use primary colors for both, and decorate the room in primary colors for a unified look. (Or you could do the same thing with pastel colors...)

• Kathleen Squires

Wow! Those are some beautiful and BIG bunk beds! Love the rug with the wood plank walls too. I would go neutral for bedding and let children throw whatever colors they like on for pillows and such. What a fun room!

• mojomom

Ditto Lynn's post. What a wonderful room! Your children are going to make wonderful memories there! I expect that when the time comes for your daughter to have her own room that she will be excited, but don't be surprised if she misses bunking in with her little brother and you wake up to find her back in her brother's room.

The rug is great! You can use either white or denimish comforters or duvets and go with the kids' favorite colors for the pillows and accessories and I don't think you can really go wrong, if you just have fun with it. I do think Anglo's suggestion about using duvets and no top sheet is a good idea -- even little ones can take pride in straightening (not necessarily making) their own beds.

• paulinteriors
    I love the rug! I would pick similar duvets or comforters and let th kids pick some accessories. Long term, keep the bunks and when your daughter moves to the current guest room, make it hers with the option of her sleeping in the bunk room when you have guests. We did that with our kids, they mostly had their own space but had fun sharing when we had company (and sometimes when we didn’t!)
  • 4boys2

• tatts

Let the kids pick their own.

They are 4 and 6! They don't care about 'cohesive'. At. All.

Let them have what they want; they are the only ones who will be in there most of the time. Give them some ownership. And in a few years, do it again as they grow out of one stage into another.

• lazy_gardens

I would ask the kids to pick a color from the rug, or pick from a selection of bedding you pre-select.

They might have strong color preferences you don't know about.

And not white comforters, unless you want to find out what color "soiled" looks like. They look great in pictures, but I have a feeling they don't stay looking like that.

My SO's boys had bunks, and while they were young they used washable fleece sleeping bags. The "bunk sheets" are also workable.

• Michael Lamb

OP, are the three images you posted of the actual space? I get a different vibe from each one. The pic of the bunks is very clean with a coastal kind of feel, the wood wall with the skull is kind of rustic, and the rug feels like desert/southwest. I think you are going to have to pick one, and change the others to match.

• nspitzzeri

Thank you everyone! The pictures ARE from the actual space (except the rug) Previous owner had 3 boys in the room, hence the wood plank wall. The skull will definitey go- these pictures were from the real estate posting. The main reason I liked the rug was bc it pulled colors from the walls AND added some feminine colors to the room. Both kids are SO excited to move in to the bunks! I should also add that my style is very eclectic, so I tend to mix styles a lot.

• aktillery9

Maybe you could give the kids a selection of colors (paint) that you like and let each pick their favorite and paint the lower bunk niches with the paint.

I love your rug and I am one picky rug person! It is so fun and I love the texture and colors. Ignore Beverly. lol

Find out what colors the kids like other than the paint (if you do that) and use them in various ways while keeping some neutrals like cream to balance it out. For some reason I am seeing cream comfortors/blankets. Perhaps the same in sheets or a fun but not too crazy pattern for sheets and then some funky colorful pillows.

World Market has some fun pillows in great fabrics and colors.

https://www.worldmarket.com/category/home-decor-pillows/pillows.do

Looking forward to seeing what you decide! No matter what you do, it is going to look fabulous!!

• Emily Jowers

I love this where they each have their own little space.

And this one that uses vibrant colors!

• lascatx

I am sorry my "boo" stayed up all day. I was trying to edit my post and having a technical difficulty. In frustration, I typed boo and apparently that stuck. I could not resolve the problem prior to leaving for an appointment and eventually had to remove and reload my browser and this site -- and I cannot find anything now.

• flopsycat1

Every child I know would love to have a room like that. Beacause the bunks are so separate from each other, I think they will have longevity. Individual lights in each lower bunk would create private nooks for each child.

There are so many choices for bedding. Have fun choosing colors and patterns with your children. Bedding is the easiest thing to change over time.

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse

As a foster parent, we must have a separate bedroom for each gender and up to four children per room - I did buy bunk beds for the kids bedroom but currently only two of the 4 spaces are occupied by 2 girls who are siblings. I went with blue bedding and the bedroom is carpeted in the same color as the rest of the rooms with carpet in our house.

OP, I'm sure that your kids will love the space however it turns out. I just wouldn't recommend spending a ton on stuff because kids can be....rough on things! And as much as you can find that's washable, the better (mystery stains are mysterious and you never know how long they've been there!).

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Oh yes to stains being inevitable! Just wait until somebody forgets to put the cap on a marker. Kids are messy; prints and patterns are forgiving = J

• shari13

I agree that rug is ugly but my actual question is why do 2 children need 4 beds? Seems huge waste of space for something they will get over quickly and limits the other furnishings in the room.

• auntthelma

shari, the room comes with the house. They are not building it.

ns - can't wait to see what you do. I do like the idea of curtains on the lower bunk for private reading or just being cozy.

• sergeantcuff

I don’t have anything helpful to say but that looks like a really fun room for the kids. You can’t expect to know what they will want in the future. (Kids are full of surprises). And I really, really like the rug.

• chicagoans

I think that rug is cute and what a cool room. Honestly, I'd ask the kids for their thoughts. It's their room, and it's not like you'll have company there. (When we did a reno I let my kids - 1 girl 1 boy - pick the paint colors for their BRs and bathrooms. Not colors I would have picked, but they've been happy with them for over 8 years now.)

They might pick different sheet sets, or decide to do something fun like the curtains Emily Jowers shows in her top pic, or different pieces of small framed art in their spaces, or whatever. Since they're sharing a room, it would be nice to let them each be in charge of their own personal space.

Betty Wasserman

Here are a few different ways over the years that we have decorated bunks for our clients. Maybe these pictures will be helpful for you in your search for accessories for your kids.

• nspitzzeri

Sorry it has been forever ... 3 kids and a new house lol here is how the room turned out. Not complete yet but thought I would share! Thank you for all your amazing suggestions!

• natesg

Their room is amazing and I love the rug. Any child would dream to have such a room. Great job.

• ngcurt
    It looks great! May I ask where you got the duvets? I am dealing with a similar issue, four bunks in one room for my grandkids (boy and girl) when they visit...and their friends:) We call it the dorm room.
    nspitzzeri thanked ngcurt
  • Pamela Mountjoy

It looks great! Love all the colors you used to blend with the rug. Well done.

• auntthelma

I love it! Do they sleep in the top bunks or the bottom?

• nspitzzeri

Ngcurt, they are from H&M online! They had a grey as well I believe!

They started on the bottom but have moved to the top lol

• Amy Hughes

Nicely done - and the rug looks great! What a fun space, most of us are envious of I think! :)

• ngcurt
    Nspitzzeri, thanks for the info
  • Louise McCarthy

Excellent! A fabulous job. They will let you know when they want seperate spaces. My niece and nephew were 14 and 12. The only reason my kids didn't share across gender, was the fact that there were too many of them lol. All four boys had a bunk room, two girls shared and the oldest insisted on her very own room. We ended up converting our dining room into her bedroom and she had to live with the kitchen noise.

I don't enjoy the rudeness here either.