Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnston5241

Bedroom accent wall

AJ
6 years ago

I'd like to paint our bedroom a light neutral benjamin moore color (white-ish, gray-ish) and have a dark blue accent wall behind the bed. Our furniture is a rich dark brown. Any suggestions on what paint combo might be best? There are two windows and room isn't dark but isn't bright. (I was considering Providence Blue and maybe Halo, Edgecomb Gray, or Ashwood? I think Newberg green is a great color but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to go that dark and it might be more limiting for a comforter and rug...) Open to all suggestions! I just have the general idea of what I'm looking for.

Comments (10)

• Lauren Davidson
    6 years ago

My living space is Glidden's "Universal Grey" -- a really pretty neutral light grey, with "Royal Navy".

It's hard to see, but this shows both colors side by side (right corner)

I also have a marble mural in my dining room that pulls in the navy, and adds a bit of white, grey, and a rusty orange/brown, if you're looking for something bold! It was super easy to install, and completely changes the look of the room--you can buy it here.

Hope this helps!

AJ thanked Lauren Davidson
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dark brown furniture:

My suggestion is B.M Exhale for the accent wall behind the dark headboard; B.M Horizon for the other three walls.

AJ thanked JudyG Designs
  • graywings123
    6 years ago

Have you thought about selecting the comforter and rug before you select the paint colors?

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Yes, I agree with above. Fall in love with an area rug or a comforter you just can't live without! That will determine your accent wall color.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

No accent walls of random colors especially in a bedroom that should be serene and tranquil. Randomly painting a wall dark blue makes no sense. I would focus on the color palette of the room (with the bedding, etc) and then paint the walls all the same subtle, neutral warm color.

• AJ
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did try finding a comforter but I think I would like something plain and simple so I'm not too concerned about finding one after painting the walls. We do not have a rug, it's a storage bed and the set up is a little weird. I have seen a lot of images like this as my inspiration

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

Bedding first then paint colors.

• AJ
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The combos you have posted are very pretty! This is the bed if that helps, but I'm loving the ideas so far. I potentially was going too dark with the blue at first. I think behind the headboard will add some interest to the room since I'm pretty minimal decorating wise :)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You can do blue, but with the tone of the wood, I still suggest it not be too dark.

I found two photos to give you something to ponder. Love a touch of green in the room.

The top photo the accent wall is B.M Franklin Lakes. Notice how good it looks with the dark floor.

Photo two the photo shows B.M Snow on the Mountain with the blue headboard.

AJ thanked JudyG Designs