Software
Houzz Logo Print
rdemarr

Hole in ceiling is bigger than new fan/light!

8 years ago

I just had an electrician replace a bathroom fan/light. The new unit grille is smaller than the old one was... Thus there are some unsightly gaps. He plans to return with some CAULK to fill in the openings. I can't imagine that will be very pretty! Does anyone have any ideas for an alternate solution? Hurry...pretty please!!


Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago
    45 minute and tape
  • 8 years ago

    Ummmm...huh? I don't get it, Mattman.


  • 8 years ago

    45 minute quickest, and drywall tape.Topcoat , sand, and paint.

  • 8 years ago

    I am not sure that if I did that it would look any better than the caulk he is proposing. I guess I should call a drywall guy?


  • 8 years ago

    Might as well see how the caulk looks first. :)

  • 8 years ago

    It doesnt sound like you are even interested in trying a patch job. If you’re not willing to even try the electricians suggestions, then you have three options. Build or buy some sort of grill extender, find a larger grill that might work, or last but not least, its drywall time.

  • 8 years ago

    Steve J, do you think the electricians idea to caulk will look good? I have to admit that I do not want to go with his suggestion because I think it will look nasty. Klem1, I would not know how to pull that off... Thank you tho... May have to find someone for hire.

  • 8 years ago

    Anybody who does regular drywall work can make that gap disappear. You might have to repaint the ceiling to get the best appearance.

  • 8 years ago

    It might be ok if he knows what he’s doing. But, you dont have much to lose. Your only other options are to cover it as suggested, or a drywall patch and both would hide or remove the silicone. But both will require more time, and money. At the very least, the silicone will seal most of the gaps which is a good thing as long as he doesnt make a huge mess. I wouldnt let that silicone touch the grill until it was dry though.

    D thanked Steve J
  • 8 years ago

    How big is the grill? If its on the smaller side, you could just buy a bigger grill as already mentioned?

    D thanked Steve J
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Just do what Mattman suggested, this is a simple repair.

    Don't use the caulking, because it's not meant for this type of repair.

    D thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • 8 years ago

    1) see if you can get a larger grill. If not

    1. do what Mattman suggested.
    D thanked sdello
  • 8 years ago

    Well, I phoned NuTone and they do not have any interchangeable grills. I left the electrician a message and told him about my concerns with having caulk put up there. I would really like it to look right so I will find someone to patch the dry wall. The frustrating thing is that we are at the tail end of a major remodel and this fan issue could have been handled a long time ago...(when the dry wall and painter guys were already here!) Thanks guys...just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.