Software
Houzz Logo Print
michaelagrubbs

Trying to get rid of McMansion look!!

8 years ago

Hi!

We just moved into this house and it needs some serious exterior cosmetic updating. It looks like a 90's subdivision mcmansion to me! Id like it to look more like a Vermont modern farmhouse (or as close to that look as I can!?)


1. I dont like the half round window at all- I was thinking replace it with transom windows above? Or just 3 taller windows?

2. The front door is being replaced with a farmhouse style.

3. Id like to paint the house a warm white with the white trim or just all white?


Any ideas for these 1/2 rounds or anything else that would take this out of the dated 90s spec house look?!

Thanks!



Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

    Id be tempted to just close them up, keeping the window sizes consistent -- that feels more farmhousy to me. Here are the two takes:

    Michaela Grubbs thanked acm
  • 8 years ago

    I like the bottom photo since it keeps the top of the windows in line with all the others and in line with the start of the peak over that section. The top photo makes it look like you used your fisheye lens.


    Michaela Grubbs thanked Susan Schutz
  • 8 years ago

    There are several things that are unfortunate about this house .... things like such a small front door, the lack of symmetry. Since it's new to you, before I did anything I would come up with an overall plan of what you want to do and your budget, and then slowly start taking the steps to fix/upgrade/improve it. Example: I would not replace the front door, I would fix/upgrade the issue that it is too small and off center. Just replacing it is a waste of money because it doesn't fix the issue.

    Michaela Grubbs thanked cpaul1
  • 8 years ago

    These are all great and I really apprectiate you all chiming in! Keep them coming!!

  • 8 years ago
    Make columns much beefier (they look very spindly), remove the siding on the upstairs porch and have a railing installed instead. Remove the half circle window (do NOT raise the height of the three windows...that only adds to the look you’re trying to get away from and it looks ungainly). A new stained wood front door with 3/4 glass would be nice as well.
  • 8 years ago

    It is what it is - and it's not that bad. I don't know where you are, but unless this house is already worth over a million, I wouldn't go nuts with exterior updates (and it doesn't sound like you plan to). I agree about removing the curved window and beefing up the porch supports. And paint, sure. Then I would stop. Alternatively, you could pay an architect to find out what would need to happen to make it smashing and try to price that out. But you would need to be willing to decide not to do it and "waste" the time and architect's fees. I curious about the area that appears to be a second story covered porch. I think that roofline is not doing you any favors. Can you post a better photo?

  • 8 years ago

    I love your house. I agree with removing that half round window, option two looks best. I also agree with larger columns around the porch. Do you plan on replacing windows or are they in good condition? I love this modern farmhouse look; black windows white siding. I imagine you'd have to rework your floor plan to replace the door. Maybe widen the opening and select a farmhouse style door that is more to scale with the house?


    Modern Farmhouse - Durham, NC · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    I love the look of white clapboard and black windows, but it's so popular, I would avoid it. Even though Its popular for good reasons (attractive and cost effective in new construction) I think it's destined to soon be considered very 2017. If you are just painting, no biggie. But I would think long and hard about purchasing black windows.

  • 8 years ago

    Janedoe2012 brings up a good point - it is a trendy look. I have a neighbor who installed black windows but she has a brick ranch with some white accents and it doesn't look trendy at all. The white and black may not stand the test of time.

  • 8 years ago

    This is nothing like a farmhouse; it is what it is. But you can do some tweaks to give the house you have, not the house you want it to be, a more country feel. Add cedar railings, porch, and front door. Add cedar bench, hanging plants, maybe a tree with a round bench around it to break up all that lawn. Consider turning part of the front lawn into meadow or plant oversized grasses if they work in your zone to get a less suburban lawn feel.

    Meadow Planting · More Info

    Contemporary Deck · More Info

    Extend some beautiful beds out from the house to balance the bulk of the building. Add window boxes. Forget the expense and bother of removing the rounded windows. Add elements that give visual pleasure--gardens, benches, porch railings, plantings and accept your house for what it is.