Software
Houzz Logo Print
mokly

Desperate new homeowners!

13 years ago
We have been in this house for a year and it's time for a little makeover. I think those shutters have been yellow since the 70's, along with the shrubs. There is a bit of orange or warm colour in stone and was wondering if we should paint them ? I would love some, grey, black and a bold reddish door. At first glance, is there anything that jumps out that could be done quickly to modernize the outside ?

Thank you,

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would paint the shutters gray or the same color as the garage doors. I would paint the posts the same color as the garage door as well. A bright blue might be a different color to consider for the door. I think cutting back the shrubs would make a big difference in helping to open it up.
  • 13 years ago
    The scalloping on the porch is not modern looking. IDK about the yellow. I think a grey would look better there.
  • 13 years ago
    Not sure, but the posts look a bit small for the weight/size they are holding up. Perhaps not technically, but in the picture they do.
    I agree the yellow should probably go :) I agree about opening up the front of the house by pruning your shrubs too, then you can add some flowering bushes maybe? or if you like flowering trees? your front lawn is beautiful.
  • 13 years ago
    Prune everything. Get advice from a nursery if you need help with technique. Then photograph it again when the front is well lit. The gray you choose should be informed by the stonework.
  • 13 years ago
    My immediate reaction was to cut down the overgrown shrubs, too. They are covering up what looks to be a beautiful home. Look at that rock and the strong horizontal line. The scallops do need to be straight horizontal lines, too. I agree that yellow has to go. Can't see the siding color, but it looks like the rock has warm tones, so stay with clay or taupe rather than a cool gray. Post upsizing would be a big plus, too.
  • 13 years ago
    How about putting cedar shakes in the yellow area. Down with the arches, beef up the posts, and out with the 2 biggest shrubs.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all for your advice. I agree with making the posts wider and remove the scalloping. I hate those hedges, and will be removed as well. The huge overgrown hedge at the edge of the house, will be the first to go. Anyone consider painting the stone on the front of the house ?
  • 13 years ago
    I cannot see the stone well enough to comment, but tend to like natural stone better...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I could see this home taking on a Frank Lloyd Wright-like look
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you jayme!
  • 13 years ago
    Don't paint the stone!!!!!!!! And I think the smaller shrubs in front of the porch are too high - transplant them under the rock section on the left of the house if you want to keep them. Then put something low in front of the porch, colorful flowers to brighten it up.
  • 13 years ago
    Some richly stained wood on the house would be gorgeous espc. with the stone!!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Planman.. We won't paint the stone however it means we are having the keep with warm tones. I hacked those hedges tonight Hal there size and looks much better.
  • 13 years ago
    Post an updated pic! I'm sure everyone else is curious to know how it looks now, too.
  • 13 years ago
    I think I will tomorrow when there is lots of light .;)