Software
Houzz Logo Print
kjbpcanoe

Kitchen countertop

8 years ago

Can't decide between River White Granite countertop and LG Muse Quartz. Help!!!

Comments (7)

  • 8 years ago
    There are many threads and webpages on granite vs. quartz -- and very strong feelings on either side. There are pros and cons to each, and if someone says one or the other is ALWAYS the best choice, they're telling you about their preferences and you should find a less biased source. Consider which pros and cons are most important to you and let that guide your choice.
  • 8 years ago

    Hi- thank you MotherofGiants! Unfortunately for me, I have read everything :-( I’m a little afraid of the quartz (some folks have had bad experiences with it) and it looking too sterile but then I think with the dark island, stainless steel appliances, wood floor and oil rub bronzed rub pendant lights, I think there would be enough contrast. However, The island will be 3.5 feet wide and 8 feet long and will be the center point of my u-shaped kitchen. Sometimes I look at quartz in big slabs and think commercial. On the other hand, I feel like granite is more timeless but my KD thinks it’s dated. I like granite because less sterile and heat doesn’t effect it. I don’t like “busy” granite. New River White seems subtle although maybe too pinkish. Oh boy! Thanks for “listening.” :-)



  • 8 years ago
    Any time! :) I had granite in my last home and loved it and I have quartz in this home and love it. Both have heat limits, as granite can crack due to sudden temperature changes, but neither are super heat sensitive. What swung me towards quartz is that it's harder to stain. In my old house we had dark counters so I didn't really worry about it, but the new kitchen got less direct light, so I wanted to lighten things up when I replaced the brown laminate counters. I knew that with my family, I would need to seal light granite counters regularly to keep them beautiful, and I didn't want to sign up for that. We got some 12" x 12" quartz samples from Cambria and abused them -- with no effect. We got quartz counters a few years ago (you can see the progression of the kitchen in one of my idea books), and I love them. No issues, including the time my husband spilled red wine on the counter before he left for vacation... since I was meeting him at the airport, I had no idea of the mess until a week later, when it cleaned up with soap and water!

    None of that may help, but you're in a situation where there's no wrong answer. Enjoy whatever you choose!
  • 8 years ago

    Hi again-if u were me, what would you choose? Our fabricator has a 25 year seal..it’s pricey but worth the peace of mind so its more the look, all other things being equal. Thanks Again!!

  • 8 years ago
    What will the island be? If the island is the showpiece, I'd go with something quiet around the perimeter...
  • 8 years ago

    Hi- The island is 3.5 feet wide by 8 feet long. It is the focal point when u walk in to the kitchen. I think I’d like to keep it all the same countertop....it’s just which countertop.

  • 8 years ago
    This is the site I went to for River White Granite info - https://homeluf.com/river-white-granite-countertops/ - and it mentioned that particular granite being prone to scorching, so it sounds like that with a good seal is even closer to quartz than I'd guessed!

    As for what I would do, I really love my quartz (White Arabesque), but in this situation it would probably come down to the slab. If you have a slab of the granite for island with some magnificent veining and bits of red, that would be a great focal point for your kitchen (and not dated at all!). If the granite slabs are basically a standard granite, then LG muse probably has better veining and would be beautiful on the island.

    That's just me, though. :)