Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_bostick

need help with new curtains in dining room

8 years ago
I hate my all brown dining room. Brown floors, wallpaper, furniture. The house already had the wallpaper, and although I love wallpaper, not this. I’ve been trying to decide on a paint color, to lighten up and modernize this room and decided on aqua.
And then I fell in love with these curtains. They were intended for another room, but I wanted to try them in here. I love them in here! Even though they are 3 shades of brown. I almost don’t mind the wallpaper now. Actually thinking of keeping it.

So my problem is that the new curtains are very long and will “puddle” on the floor, and this is where my dog loves to spend the day. He will lay on them and flatten them and they will always need fixing, but another option is hanging them all the way up to the ceiling, but there is molding up there. Can I hang right up to the ceiling molding? That length is perfect. Another option would be to have them hemmed. That’s my least favorite option. Oh, I could move them to the room I intended them for, but I wouldn’t get to see them very often. And I want to see them a lot! So, what to do? Should I still consider aqua? Thanks for your help!

Comments (54)

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks grapefruit! So you would go all the way up? I am hesitant about removing the wood blinds.
  • 8 years ago
    Lulu, it's still too much brown! I would remove the wallpaper. Maybe the aqua will no longer come into the dining room, but you might paint the walls the lightest color in the drapes. Since the room is soooo dark, it's hard to really see the rug, but it looks light and appears to have cream among its colors.
    You say the curtains are too heavy for the current rods, so they must be changed. You might consider a shorter length rod so the curtains could close over the window. From the little peek available, there is no view outside. Are the drapes wide enough to cover the window? You can probably hang them up to the molding, but the dog will still probably lay against them if not on them, because it's already the preferred resting spot. Remember that you started out by saying the room is all brown. Cream walls would take a big bite out of the brown overload.
  • 8 years ago

    Definitely hang them higher...my thought is right below the molding. I don't think the blinds are a good look.

    Love the dog! :-)

  • 8 years ago
    Yes felizlady, they are brown! I’m afraid of off white or cream because the trim is off white. So, I thought of aqua. Kinda going for a British colonial look. The furniture in here has an orange undertone. I’m going to look for my inspiration pic.
  • 8 years ago
    You normally don't hang drapes on molding, but since yours is so wide and flat, I think it will work. Yes, get rid of the wallpaper!!
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you, humming along. That’s what I really wanted to hear. Just wondering if it was a deco no no ;)
  • 8 years ago
    The wallpaper is going.
  • 8 years ago
    Chloebud,
    I have those blinds all over the house, and I really need something there, otherwise the neighbors would see in. Sheers would be pretty, but don’t add privacy.
  • 8 years ago
    I hung up both panels and pushed them in as far as they would go. They still don’t cover the window. The curtains are fixed. I can move the rod when I remove the wallpaper, fix holes. Then hang them higher. Also, my iPad photos are making everything darker.
  • 8 years ago
    Is this too high?
  • 8 years ago

    Yes, that's too high. Hang them just below the molding. Hem them if you need to.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks groveraxel, if I hung them up to the molding, then they would only puddle a little. Do you have any suggestions for the blinds? I like that they are all over the house for continuity, and they block the view, but they don’t look great.
  • 8 years ago

    Hi lulu! What about changing them out for shades!

  • 8 years ago
    Hi patrinalake, I am not opposed to any ideas. Do you have any in mind? Pictures would help.
  • 8 years ago
    Brown and aqua look good together, I would lighten dining room chairs with some aqua and lighten area rug. Definitely hang curtains to just under moulding and hem if needed
  • 8 years ago

    Buy a second set of the curtains. Sew them to the first set. Mount the sturdy new rod as groveraxle says, and then hem them to clear the floor by a half inch or so.

  • 8 years ago
    Hi Irene,
    I do plan on lightening this room, with paint and other things like lamps. The chairs have a little aqua already, but I may get a solid. The peacock chairs I can’t recover myself, but I can change the side chairs pretty easily.
  • 8 years ago
    Hi apple pi,
    I got these vintage. I don’t think they make the print anymore.
  • 8 years ago

    Could the blinds be raised during the day? The blinds add to the dark feel of the room. If you must keep the blinds I still suggest covering them with sheers. I guess I do not see the sense in having pretty curtains when there is an expanse of blinds in between. My eyes go immediately to the blinds.

  • 8 years ago
    I see what you mean, grapefruit. My eyes go there, too. I may paint the walls an off white color to see if that helps. Even with the blinds raised there’s not much light coming in.
  • 8 years ago

    lulu thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would not consider aqua in a room next to the room with the kiwi green

    I like the new drapes. Not crazy about the quality of light coming from that chandelier that faces the ceiling.

    lulu thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 8 years ago

    following

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for your help applepie, I moved around furniture and rugs today. I put a lighter rug in there with a pattern that will not go with the curtains. So, I reinstalled the silk curtains that will close all the way. I’ll probaby put the new lovable curtains in another room, where the window is narrower, and the ceilings are the same height, but there’s no molding, so they will fit perfect. It’s trying to fit a square peg in a round hole the other way! I still plan on removing the wallpaper and painting, though I’m wanting a light, but not Easter bright aqua for the walls. the rug has lots of colors


  • 8 years ago

    Hi Beverly, the hall has Anjou Pear in it. It’s a very dark gold. I plan on painting, rather hiring someone to paint in there. Those are nice chandiliers. think I want a lantern. New lighting is on my list!

  • 8 years ago

    I just realized you moved then up to the ceiling.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Just remember 4small bulbs in lantern will not be enough light for a dining room
    lulu thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 8 years ago
    Beverly, I think you might be right about that. I may get a lantern for the foyer instead. Would you use a brass or gold tone, rather than black or oil rubbed bronze? My whole house has oil rubbed bronze for everything, but I don’t mind mixing metals, just don’t know how. I want to also get a lamp or two for the brown buffet. Thank you!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Lots of issues influence decisions about foyer fixtures: ceiling height, style of home, finishes, quality of light needed. No problem mixing finishes. Black might be a bit more casual and primitive in general.

  • 8 years ago
    I like that first one Beverly. Any idea where I should start? I changed rugs yesterday. And today is not overcast, so I’m adding a photo And I’ll add one of the foyer.
  • 8 years ago
    Here’s the foyer light. That room is 12 1/2 by almost 10. It is 2 story. I have been wanting a new fixture in the foyer for a long time, but the thing that’s bugging me is, do I want a wide or high? And the finish? It’s so high up. Does that fixture need to be centered in the window?
  • 8 years ago

    You might look at Sherwin Williams Tidewater or Watery or possibly Tradewind. They're a little more grayed down so they aren't as pastel.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, katinparadise. Watery seems to be the perfect mix of blue and green. As soon as the wallpaper comes down, I’ll get some samples.
  • 8 years ago
    As far as the foyer light, I’d like it to be lower. The current one is right in the center of that second story window. Any rules about that?
  • 8 years ago

    You're welcome. I'm sure you'll find a color you love. I'm probably prejudiced though-it's my favorite color and is in accents all over my house! As far as the light, I think it's pretty when you can see the light through the window. I'd think it would look best if it was at least even with the bottom of the window. It looks like the window could take a much larger fixture. This is a pretty, modern take on a lantern. 26.75 wide and 30 high. Might make a nice fit in your window.

    http://www.lampsplus.com/products/smyth-26-and-three-quarter-inch-wide-gunmetal-bronze-cage-chandelier__6r004.html

  • 8 years ago

    Kat, that’s a really pretty light. I think I want something very tradional for the foyer. But, thanks for the suggestion!

  • 8 years ago

    Does watery go well with brown antiques with an orangy tone?

  • 8 years ago

    You're welcome lulu. It was worth a shot.

  • 8 years ago
    It’s still on my mind, kat, and I do appreciate your help. I like that you chose something I never would have found, and I do keep coming back to look at it!

    I’m looking into painting over the wallpaper. Apparently BM makes a paint called Advance primer that would work. I have a scrape of the wallpaper that the previous owner left, so I’m going to take it to the BM store and see what they say.
  • 8 years ago

    Happy to help. You never know if something is going to resonate.

    Painting over wallpaper can be a real bear. I've done it at my FIL's house and in the house I used to live in that was built in 1949. I swear every room in that house had wallpaper-even on the ceiling in the dining room! If it's well glued on and not loose, it can be done. It's not usually suggested but sometimes there's no choice. Good luck with that!

    lulu thanked katinparadise
  • 8 years ago
    New light fixture, and a brighter day. Next will be painting over the wallpaper; and moving the curtain rod up to the molding. Still haven’t figured out if I’ll use the new curtains or get something different. The curtains in there now just barely touch the floor. Any thoughts on a wall color?
  • 8 years ago

    Pretty light fixture. Which way are you leaning for paint color? Be sure to ask at the paint store for a primer that can be used over wallpaper.

  • 8 years ago

    Hi katinparadise

    i still like the idea of a light aqua, but the foyer and great room have golden yellow walls, and it might not get painted for a while, so maybe something more tannish DH thinks molding on the lower walls like in the foyer would look good and I do, too Then I could paint the upper half in a dark teal and that would make me very happy, but even though he has saws, and tools, he’s lacking in woodworking skills Sorry DH He’s great at many other things, though So, tannish for walls and aqua or teal or turquoise for accessories it’s funny that my iPad has decided periods at the end of a sentence are no longer necessary

    Benjamin Moore dealer told me to prime with an oil based primer and then acrylic would be fine the wallpaper is in good shape Do you have any tips you want to share?


  • 8 years ago

    How about just a pretty pale cream or off white for the dining room? Then you can use the aqua for accents.

    The one thing you'll want to do is check the seams of the wallpaper. You may need to lightly spackle and sand them so they don't show when you're finished painting.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you, kat,
    I’ll need to take a closer look at those seams. I know a pro installed the wallpaper before I moved in. Maybe it won’t be that bad. Did you sparkle?

    I’m saying tannish, but a deeper off white than the molding is what I mean. Looking at paint chips now.
  • 8 years ago

    You can always throw up a bit of primer over a seamed section and see how it comes through. I did spackle.

    Have fun with picking out paint!

  • 8 years ago
    I would suggest removing the wallpaper and then painting. It will take longer, but the finished product will be better. By painting over wallpaper, you risk it bubbling and you'll have a mess on your hands.
    lulu thanked annied75
  • 8 years ago
    I’ve removed wallpaper before and it’s almost a never ending job. So hoping not to have to do that.
  • 8 years ago

    As long as the paper is tight to the walls and the seams aren't exposed, you should be okay with the oil primer. The reason it bubbles with a water based primer is that the primer soaks through the paper and lifts it. I did remove a border in my dining room and used a paper tiger (scoring tool) and warm water and fabric softener. It did a good job but my whole house smelled like cheap fabric softener for a few days!

    lulu thanked katinparadise