Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
btina2

Your vote needed for stairwell lighting!

btina2
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Just added this backdrop to our 10 ft stairwell to frame the perfect light fixture...please vote on your favorite below (1, 2, or 3) or add your own suggestion from the Houzz shop.

Comments (34)

• btina2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

3 Lights Vintage Glass Mason Jar Pendant Lamp Light Chandelier · More Info

• btina2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sea Gull Lighting 3-Light Pendant, Brushed Nickel · More Info

• btina2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Canarm Ryland 3-Light Chain Pendant, Matte Black Finish · More Info

• klyons11
    6 years ago
    I vote 1.
  • Stacey
    6 years ago
    I would keep looking. Those remind me of lighting for a kitchen.
  • Brian
    6 years ago
    Something like one of the three glass fixtures in the first pic...but larger like the size of the metal one in the second pic.

You'll want it to hang down to a bit below eye level when you are standing at the top of the stairs looking down.

Nice backdrop. You need a substantial fixture to complement that.
  • mcegabby
    6 years ago
    I would go more towards the chandelier side of lights. The first two do look like they belong in the kitchen. The third is alright, but I would look around a bit more. You have a beautiful wood wall, which needs a chandelier type light to complement it.
  • btina2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, this is why I post! lol. Very helpful practical advice. Looking at chandeliers now; what do you think of these, Stacey, Brian, mcegabby?

Globe® 65435 Sansa 5-Light Chandelier With Hanging Cord And Chain, Dark Bronze · More Info

Vintage Industrial Loft Style Chandelier, Hanging Edison Glass Ceiling Mounted · More Info

5-Light Antique Bronze Globe Orb Cage Chandelier With Glass Sconces Farmhouse · More Info

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

Here you go.....

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

I think with the darker wood, something lighter would show up better.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

Groveraxle’s type of fixture is a MUCH better choice for your stairwell. It doesn’t have to be chrome, but the shape/style is a much better fit for the space.

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Havana Suspension by Foscarini | YLighting · More Info

• everdebz
    6 years ago

yeah!! grover came over.... lighting that takes more use of the wood background.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

Personally like the cluster one better.

• mcegabby
    6 years ago
    Out of the new lights you posted, I like the third. But I do agree, you need something a smidge lighter to show up well with the wood wall. If you like the look of the clustered group, try that! I think you would be fine with the body of the one you recently posted (third one) but maybe a different color. I would hate for a beautiful wood wall to swallow a beautiful light fixture. Do you like any of these?
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

W 16.5" / H 27" / 16.5 lb. or bronze....

• Length of Chain: Chain: 120 inches . Wire Length: 144 in

• 3 x 60 watts Candelabra

Hinkley Lighting - Blakely Small Pendant Light · More Info
    https://www.houzz.com/products/blakely-3-light-foyer-pendants-brushed-nickel-prvw-vr~54513730

Manufactured ByHinkley Lighting

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

I love the cluster....BUT.....to have so much inaccessible glass in a stairwell might not be such a good idea. Glass shows lots of dust and you would have to climb up on a ladder to clean the thing. Just the candelabra bulbs on a chandelier in my foyer can get caked over with dust....I’d hate to have to think about cleaning the glass globes on a fixture that I couldn’t easily reach.

• btina2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

nidnay, groveraxle, what you're doing with the pics is awesome! I love the look of the cluster and how that elongated piece uses the wall space. I would never have thought of looking at those, but being able to see it in our space is a game-changer.

• R S
    6 years ago
    I choose the cluster groveraxle posted!! :-)
  • Stacey
    6 years ago
    Yes, love the cluster pendant.
  • grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

I agree with nidnay......how do you ever change the bulbs in those since they are over the stairs? Our light is on the sidewall...very easy to get to!

• greaterjoy48
    6 years ago

After doing the wood wall, husband says changing the light is no problem. Lol

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

It’s not changing the bulbs that’s the problem, it’s keeping any type of fixture with glass globes clean and free of gobs of dust. Very hard to reach and keep up with on a regular basis.

• R S
    6 years ago
    They do have all kinds of huge extending wands to dust the pendants ...
  • tatts
    6 years ago

For safety's sake you do not want bright lights shining in your eyes as you walk down the stairs, especially with the darkness at the bottom and the dark wall.

If you hang anything there, make it a dim, secondary light to a more widely diffused light that is out of your direct line of sight.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

R S....it’s hard to get up in there with a simple duster. And many times it needs wiping with glass cleaner because there’s a layer of film that gets on the glass. I love glass pendants...but I like them when they’re sparkly clean. So unless they’re accecessable, in my home, they would just stay dirty :)

Tatts....sometime we need bright light for cleaning/vacuuming purposes, so dimmers work wonders in cases where one might be worried about being blinded :)

• greaterjoy48
    6 years ago

I’m with you on the cleaning aspect, nidnay.

• btina2
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is what we came up with. Thanks everyone for your valuable input!

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

Looks great, btina. Simple, but with a lot of presence.

• wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago

Many great choices but I will emphasize what nidnay said. Carefully consider the cleaning aspect. Clear glass globes or shades show every speck of dust when lit. Ones with the opening at the top are even worse. Putting them in a stairwell is not a good idea unless you husband doesn't mind climbing up there more than once or twice a year to dust. Dusting can also be insufficient. Often, the only way to get clear glass sparkling like new is to take it down and wash it in the sink.

• Brian
    6 years ago
    I like the 2nd one in your second set of choices!
  • Erin Wade
    5 years ago

Love your choice!