Software
Houzz Logo Print
cleolem

Now THIS is a challenge!

8 years ago

The wall is there, the pole is there .. there's nothing we can do so the question is, do we ledgerstone the pole to pull in the design? Half way? All the way? drink ledge? Not really? This is tough... there is about 3 feet to the fireplace... thank you in advance for your suggestions.


Comments (22)

  • 8 years ago

    There you go! Thanks for the laugh I needed it! Good advice too!

  • 8 years ago

    I'm not a pro. If the pole can't go, I would be tempted to turn the pole into a wall that runs up to the face of the fireplace. Then cover all sides with the same stone.

  • 8 years ago
    What does the other side of the fireplace look like?
  • 8 years ago
    Full view of the fireplace?
  • 8 years ago

    I don't understand how things like this happen ? No one noticed the pole prior to creating the fireplace ?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The support column (not a pole) can go, you just have to spend a bit and hire a structural engineer to reinforce the beam above to take the load father along that beam to travel down the other supporting walls. Get some estimates for the work and if they turn out to be more than you want or can afford to spend then leave it as is. These are the only choices you have, sorry.

  • 8 years ago

    It's two sided, one side is the bar and the other is the living room space.. yes we knew the pole was there but when designing the space for each side this is where it landed... at the time of course it didn't seem like a big deal.. we thought we might make a table or something and attach towards the bar.. we were looking for an "old detroit" type feel.. No, with this being new construction already there was no way to move the pole (financially) and we didn't have the foresight in design prior to building. Too many things to think about. It's not the end of the world.. but since we started the ledgstone, I started wondering how that might fit in... thought I would ask this group.

  • 8 years ago
    Part of the problem aesthetically is that the post looks so skimpy in relationship to the fireplace...covering it in stone may be the best way to make it disappear....
  • 8 years ago

    If you are going to cover the post with ledgerstone, and I think you should, I would box it out to the right to about where the line in the floor is. And I wouldn't trim it in any way.

  • 8 years ago
    In view of this being a new build.....and without knowing your limitations it seems like this will never look or feel right as is...fixing it now is the best option....perhaps an on-site consult with an architect or designer will offer a solution that will work....
  • 8 years ago
    Wow.. so pretty! Great choice of stone.. I wonder what it would like if built over to the wall, stoned part way with a little drink ledge? Seems like quite an open space..
    We had to deal with 2 lolly poles, in our finished basement.. Happy they hold the house up but they are somewhat intrusive.
  • 8 years ago
    The problem is that nothing (even removing the support post) will make for symmetry, due to the ceiling bulkheads. So if it can’t be symmetrical, don’t fight it. Box in the support right to the wall.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Is this in a walk out basement? If so, poles really can be an issue. If not then I am stumped as to how a builder could let this happen.

  • 8 years ago
    As is ....you will never have a clear view of the fireplace as a focal point....or a tv above it if that is in the plan...and if I understand correctly this post is in your main living room?.....
  • 8 years ago
    I would build it into a wall about 3’ long at 90 degrees to the fireplace. Make that a cozy corner nook for a floor lamp and a reading chair.
  • 8 years ago

    That's why they call it design dilemma, this is a tough one. I think I would trim it out and stare at it for a couple of months. I wouldn't probably use the stone on it either. It doesn't look that bad in your last pic. Good luck

  • 8 years ago
    I would build it into a wall about 3’ long at 90 degrees to the fireplace. Make that a cozy corner nook for a floor lamp and a reading chair.
    Then on the opposite side of the wall, do either a built in bookshelf or little bar/countertop area with storage underneath.
  • 8 years ago

    The column is a utility, not a feature. Paint it a color to match the stone.

    I dislike the idea of making a wall as I think it would look odd if viewed from the location where the chair is.

    I think you can use furniture placement, rugs and decor to distract from the column.

  • 8 years ago

    weird, I would box the whole thing in as an l-shaped wall right to the corner nearest the pole and use the same stone on he whole thing. Then it becomes part of the fireplace.

  • 8 years ago

    thanks everybody! I appreciate your advice and feedback!

  • 3 years ago

    What type of ledgerstone is this?