Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

Help with color infusion?

Elle
6 years ago
We just finished installing a closet system in a spare room aka my “lady cave”. Can I please have some help picking a rug and curtains, possibly a small wall hanging to warm up the place?
I was thinking some light pastels? My husband is worried if I go too colorful it will clash with my clothes when I try them on, but I still want the place to feel fun and feminine.
Is the “couch” too big? The room is only 7.5x8 but I wanted a seat of some kind.
I’m also planning to finish doing the privacy cling on the top half of the window, put a makeup mirror over the “dresser” area, and a full length mirror near the door (on the right side).

Comments (16)

• lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

I love it! No advice but others will weigh in.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    6 years ago

You have to start somewhere. I’d find a rug with the pastel tones you like, or whatever strikes your fancy when you are out looking, and take your cues from that for other items. A lot of people shop online for rugs, I did it twice and had to return a rug once. Not fun, it weighed a ton.

I’ve seen advice to buy the smallest size available of a pattern you like so you can inspect the colors and quality without the hassle of dealing with a large one if you have to return it. I prefer seeing a rug in person. Do you have any home decor stores near you? Often a good source for rugs.

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sadly no stores to speak of near me except target/Walmart. Do you think a round rug would be good in the space? How big of a rug should I get?
    Anyone like these choices? My preference is for pink but I can’t find a pink rug with grey rather than ivory in it.
  • tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Wow! What a great space and what fun you could have decorating it to your heart's content. I think a round rug could work but I'm clueless about the size. I like the idea of seating in here as well but again, no clue if your sofa is too big.

If this were my lady cave (great light fixture, btw!), I would bring in all my clothes and live with the space for a while before "furnishing" it. This way, I'd have an idea as to what colours I'd want in there and if the sofa works. Your clothes and your daily routine will be your biggest inspirations, I think.

There are no rules to this so have fun!

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

Btw, my preference is also for pink! :) And purple. Don't worry about anything too colourful clashing with your clothes as you're dressing. Decorate it to make you smile every morning.

• PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

I would decorate the room to a color you like and never worry about your clothes clashing with it. When you get ready in a bedroom or bathroom do you worry about the color on the walls in that room, I wouldn't think so. Just paint it something you love, looks like an awesome closet so far :)

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for the compliments! I’m pretty excited for it. I’ve been living out of piles of clothes on the guest room bed since we moved 4 months ago lol. And the light fixture was $33 on amazon so I’m over the moon about that (although I think I need to find some warmer bulbs).
    I have a black and grey clothes “problem” with a couple pink things thrown in. Maybe having a colorful room will inspire me to go for a more colorful wardrobe too.
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    6 years ago

Maybe do a color scheme of pale pink, white, gold, and grey? Then have a white shag rug on the floor for some added luxury and drape a faux fur throw blanket over the bench. Pale pink or white drapes, and gold accented decor on top of your dresser. Every time I see a room with this color scheme, I fall in love. I drew some inspiration from this shabby chic, ultra-feminine photo:

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

ellenoir17, your black and grey clothes are only a "problem" if you're bored with them or they make you look ill. : )

• tqtqtbw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Table Lamp with Brushed Steel Metal Accents, Clear Stacked Crystal Ball 34.25" · More Info

Turnberry Tower Arlington, VA · More Info

Lincoln Park 2550 · More Info

Silverleaf, Lot 1137 · More Info

I would go into full Mariah-diva mode. Furry area rug, fuchsia or magenta silky pillows and a furry pillow, Glass ball lamps. Sparkle.

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Rugknots- I’m in love with this color scheme too. If my husband would allow it every room would be blush and rose gold lol but I try to keep it contained to our bedroom. I thought about doing gold here but the shelves are silver :( but I do love the muted blush tones.
  • Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    tqtqtbw love your inspiration photos. I like the vaguely floral painting in the first one, might have to find something like that for my “makeup counter” wall
  • tqtqtbw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

ellenoir17 -- you can also be creative and make your own abstract art.

• tartanmeup
    6 years ago

I was just on Target's site and they're having an online sale on home furnishings for President's Day. Btw, you can choose wall art on their site by colours (brights, b&w, neutrals...). If you'll want curtains for the room, you might start by shopping for those and letting that inspire the rest of the accessories.

• Elle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Just wanted to share what I ended up with. I'm sad that it's less pretty with all my clothes in there but what can you do right? lol. For practicality I added a shelf that stores jewelry and also a shoe rack. So far I'm loving having such a bright fun room to get ready in, but it does mean I take longer in the morning :)