Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingistherapy

Area above the cabinets needs help

cookingistherapy
6 years ago

What would you do with the area above the cabinets. Ceiling is 12' tall. The EAT sign will be removed. Budget prohibits adding more cabinets above. What do you think about putting the backsplash tile up there with uplighting? Will that be too much like a bathroom? What other ideas do you have?

Comments (18)

• partim
    6 years ago
    It needs nothing.
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Please do not run the backsplash tile up there. It would look totally out of place.

• Stacey
    6 years ago
    It looks really pretty with nothing or you can use the same material you have on the island. Same pattern as the backsplash.
  • KD
    6 years ago

Empty it out of all the stuff and pretend it isn’t there.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

I definitely would not tile up there. I would remove the eat sign and the bottles and call it a day.

• Michelle
    6 years ago

I just had a designer here on Saturday. I asked about the area above the cabinets and she said not to put anything up there. It's just not 'in' right now.

• Judith Adams
    6 years ago
    I like the glass bottles. Take down the EAT sign. No tile. I agree it will look out of place. I am intrigued by the paint suggestion. Perhaps a darker shade from the family of color used on the cabinets to create some subtle contrast. Lovely kitchen! Good luck.
  • Linda
    6 years ago
    Do not paint a contrasting color but remove everything from the top of the cabinets including decals. You do not want people looking at your ceiling and that is what clutter on top of cabinets does, draw the eye upward . that area is not to be decorated
  • lawsonch19
    6 years ago

I love Beverly's rendering!

• jpp221
    6 years ago
    As everyone seems to be saying, clean it off. If your budget permits, I’d swap the pendant lights for some with fabric shades. Your lamps are very transparent, lacking in body, so one looks right through them and thus up at that space. Lamps with more weight will stop the eye from wandering up there.
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    If you do anything, mirror that space.
  • KD
    6 years ago

@jpp221 - I was thinking some colorful accessories on the counter (like a couple of smaller decorative bottles) would help also, as the cabinets and backsplash are nice but neutral. Give the eye stuff to do at ground level and no one will think about the top of the cabinets.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

• lshack17
    6 years ago
    My vote is a clean look above the cabinet. Put nothing up there, especially not plates.
  • Patrick
    6 years ago

I like Beverly's idea too with a plain color above.

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Your pendants are lovely -- great choice.

• cpaul1
    6 years ago

I wouldn't do anything up there. I would remove everything you currently have there and just leave it clean and blank. I would not paint it a contrasting color and I wouldn't put anything up there. What I would do is clean up all of the stuff you have everywhere else and decorate the counter tops and the island. I would keep all of your visual interest at that level.