Software
Houzz Logo Print
fitzges

Floor color assistance

8 years ago

I have oak cabinets. So fair amount of heavy grain. In a cinnamon color , , Orangish brown. Would like new floors wood or laminate. if I find a tone close to the cabinets it really brings out more orange and is overwhelming. open for opinions, dont plant to replace cabinets they are in great shape and have lots of other things I would do with those $$

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hi Fitzges,

    If you live in Southern California please come visit our showroom! We carry many different affordable options and colors in laminate, vinyl, wood tile, hardwood and engineered wood in addition to many different stains for both your cabinets and floor. If you are interested please feel free to ask me any questions or visit our website at https://www.ssfloors.com/. If you don't live in Southern California we can ship the flooring straight to your door!

    S&S Team

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You can do a wood floor that has different shades to provide some contrast such as the one in the picture below.

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much for the suggestion. At my last attempt with flooring, we did end up with similar shades as noted in the picture, but our kitchen is substantially smaller with less light. So while I do notice the "orange" above, it's not nearly as noticeable as in my space. HOWEVER, I do have a small island, maybe if I paint that cabinetry, it will offset some of it . . . that could be a possibility.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Definitely. A contrasting, yet coordinating color for your island can break up the color and be very visually appealing. These photos show that, even though I know they are bigger and more lit areas than what you may have. Just some additional ideas for you. Good Luck!



  • 8 years ago

    After personally spending years and years working around orange-y wood trim, and always settling for color schemes I really would not choose otherwise, I finally got rid of the orange trim (painted it white). I know you don't want to replace the cabinets, but you have other options. You could paint any color, or you could possibly stain the cabinets a more brown color. I would look into both of those options rather than work around the orange wood color.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You could move to a tile option, going with a neutral like warm grey to contrast with the cinnamon tones of the wood.

  • 8 years ago

    thanks to all for the comments -- while I do like orange especially as an accent color, I truly never noticed those tones so many years ago when I selected these cabinets. I have added and bigger subway tile in a really light gray with green undertone to the backsplash which has blended nicely and helped to offset the drama between top/bottom cabinets. I'm thinking the suggestion to make the island a "color" will help take your eye's away from the cabinetry which in itself should work nicely too.

    We had a green slate laminate floor a few years ago, and while it was beautiful and durable, it made the kitchen so very heavy/ Switched to the wood look with some slight variation in color, but my eyes are still seeing that orange. It helped with the darkening effect substantially though . . . so now the consideration of simply going light with a tile might just be the trick. Lighter, no wood tone and durable!!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Right! A porcelain, lighter tile option will be a good solution :)