Software
Houzz Logo Print
wildfeuer

please help with re arranging this living room. I feel I need a chsnge

Help need to change things around

Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago
    Unfortunately I bought this rug only a year ago :(
    I want to add small things or move the furniture around. I feel I’m not on the spot with this living room. A update is needed.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi. You've got a good start, but does need some tweaking. Could we see photos of the entrance to the room? Is there a tv in the room?

    First thing I notice is that there are competing pieces of art/too many focal points. Which art would you be willing to give up?

  • 8 years ago
    No tv in room..I’m in the art business and my art is very important to me. First photo is from couch second from dining room third from entrance hallway
  • 8 years ago
    Love the football painting! I don’t think your art is competing so much - just need something to break up the brown in the rest of the furniture - big pillows? white throws? Bowl on the table?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Thanks for the additional photos! Understand about the art. Nice work!

    Here is what I recommend:

    1) Place sofa on wall where football art is, but floated out so you can walk behind it.

    2) Place green chair and smaller black chair on window wall. (chairs and sofa will create an L shape).

    3) Place black chair with ottoman on dining room side of fireplace.

    4) no place for the other low-back chair. I would remove that from room.

    5) Coffee table in chair and sofa area.



  • 8 years ago
    Thank you ..actually I curate exhibitions in international museums ..:)
    I was thinking along your lines too...but another rug would of been a great idea too! Just what for textures and colours ?
  • 8 years ago
    The wall with the couch would look strange totally empty
  • 8 years ago

    The art, of course, makes this room so great! Thanks for sharing!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You don't have to fill all the walls with furniture. Furniture works best pulled out from the walls. That is one reason your room feels "off". Lots' of pieces of furniture throughout the room.

    I'd use the wall with the sofa as a gallery wall/first thing you'd see as you enter the room.

    You might try rearranging and see how you feel about it.

  • 8 years ago
    I agree with you ....the flat back chair is actually an extension of the couch ..it forms a L shape
    Just thought the feeling of my back to entrance wAy from hallway would be strange
  • 8 years ago

    Right now it seems more like a gallery, not a living room. That's not because of the art, but because the seating is low, the fireplace seems ignored by the seating, and there is nothing tall (except the windows) to counterbalance the fireplace's mass. I know it is difficult to arrange any seating in a corner like that. Perhaps you could angle the Eames chair by the fireplace with the table and lamp so there is a place to relax, read and enjoy the fire. Do you object to floating the sofa in front of the windows and adding some pillows to it? Then the arc lamp could hover above the coffee table while the mustard chair and the black one gather toward the coffee table to form a more intimate conversation area. The height needed can be emphasized by hanging simple stationary panels floor to ceiling at the windows. Maybe a darker color than your rug would keep them simple and tied in, but do the vertical job. Once the sofa is off its wall, I think you should develop that view from the entrance by filling the wall with art to create a high impact, colorful feature wall. If it won't be damaged by heat, I'd lower the silver tuna so he's closer to the firebox than to the ceiling.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The sofa would be oriented more towards the right of the entrance......just floated out some.

    Play with it and see which you like. Decoenthusiaste mentioned floating it out from the windows. That is a thought also, as long as you don't mind having your back to the front windows.

    One final option would be to angle the sofa so that it is facing the fireplace (45 degree angle).

    Put the sofa on furniture sliders and have at it!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    We like the idea of the sofa where the football piece currently is. You could then switch the two pieces of art (the football piece to the opposite wall), and put the black and yellow chairs in front of the painting again. If you wanted to also move the plant and lamp you could do that as well, and put the lamp back over by the chair.

    Modern Project: Living Room · More Info