Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_iosue

Bathroom sink faucets - single hole vs widespread

6 years ago
Who knew there was so many sink faucet choices. My head is spinning over such a simple detail. Oh my!!! I had a single hole faucet growing up, and now I’ve had a widespread. I never really thought about it until i had to start picking faucets for a full home reno- both master & main/kids bath. I suppose I don’t have a preference, i see benefits to both, both functionality and design wise. I am so torn!
My master bath vanity is a double sink with lower makeup vanity in middle- 36 in sink, 30in lower vanity, 36 in sink.
The main/kids bath is also a double vanity(no makeup vanity though), probably will be 72 inches long. So we aren’t tight on space in either room.

Comments (17)

• 6 years ago
    I’d do widespread in the master and one piece in the kids. One piece is easier for them to use.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Widespread is more classic and traditional--it hearkens back to the days when sinks had one "tap" for hot and one for cold water. One piece is more modern, and since you are not tight on space, one piece may look too small. I've had widespread in all bathrooms, including my children's, and they never had a problem using it.

• 6 years ago

If I ever re-do my bathrooms every single sink would be widespread - that's what I would do in a heartbeat. So happy for you - it will all be so fresh and awesome. :- )

• 6 years ago
    Jan, that made me laugh out loud!! I suppose I agree now that you point that out
    Thanks for feedback everyone.
  • 6 years ago

I personally think some single head faucets look more modern than wide spread.

• 6 years ago
    I just got this black faucet and it doesn’t look phallic to me!

It’s very heavy brass with matte finish and I love it.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I never understand why you would want to play with 2 handles so I always use single and they never look phallic to me. For kids they for sure function better . As for finish in kids bathroom the stainless is a much better choice it does not show every water drop but I love chrome in the master. I agree do not lower the counter for a makeup area just get an adjustable stool

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I love my polished chrome nickel in my master with two handles. Kids are out of home now but would probably do satin in their bathrooms.

I'm older with bad back issues and disagree to not lower the counter for a makeup area. I did get an adjustable stool but not ideal. Wish I had put in lower counter makeup area. Best to you!

• 6 years ago
    I love polished nickel over chrome. I prefer more modern faucet styles and have found some interesting ones on amazon, Wayfair and ebay. I’m on a budget and picked both of these Pfister faucets up for a really good price. The widespread in he Master and the other in the half bath. They’re well made and look really great. I went with black in the half bath in the basement because I fell in love with this light fixture
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lets be honest..............Patricia is just NOT in any way transitional or traditional. : ) You don't "play" With the handles.....ya just turn it on lol

• 5 years ago
    Now this is your phallic faucet
  • 5 years ago
    I have that single faucet in chrome. It’s so easy to clean around and, IMO, looks and functions perfectly. Also ideal for those needing ease of use.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A single lever is easier to clean and I can't stand it if lever handles are not aligned

• 5 years ago

I have single lever chrome faucets - can't stand fiddling with two handles.

• 5 years ago

The comments are great on both sides, but I do agree that SOME single handle or "joy stick" faucets look very sadly phallic. That said, the Delta Tesla is an exception and I just installed in guest bath makeover. Will use Kohler "joy stick" in make-up vanity area for master and widespread for master bath sink. Also using Calcutta gold porcelain tile for shower and CG marble for walnut vanity top. Dilemma: Kohler French Gold vs Chrome??

I want to accent the "gold" veining but since this is a unique finish, can't get shower door hardware to match. Thoughts? Suggestions? Lessons? Wisdom??

Thank you!

• 4 years ago

take a look at vibrant brushed bronze from Kohler for something to go with gold that isn’t that shiny yellow look. I’m using in a master that has beiges and charcoals