Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spr0125

Bernhardt furniture quality ?

SPR R
6 years ago

We are looking for new sofa for our living room . we looked at local furniture store and liked Bernhardt furniture. Any experience with Bernhardt fabric sofas.

something similar to this

https://www.houzz.com/projects/1459380/bernhardt-candace-sofa

Comments (13)

• Bonnie Muehleman Zone 5b No IL
    6 years ago

I used to sell Bernhardt, the resale on this stuff is out of this world. This is heirloom quality furniture, definitely worth the money!

SPR R thanked Bonnie Muehleman Zone 5b No IL
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Eh. We bought a Bernhardt bedroom set back in 2000. We live in a major market, San Diego, and taken to a large, reputable consignment store, the stuff did not sell at all, and we had to pay someone to take it to Goodwill. It actually cost money to get rid of it. The drawers were not dovetail-made, although the pieces were very, very solidly built--no complaints there. I wouldn't count on resale value when you buy furniture. That's just my experience.

We also had Bernhardt sofas, and the fabric began to disintegrate within a couple years. However, the sofas were well built, and we still have one, with a slipcover on it now. I don't recall how the interior of the sofa was made, when we purchased them we weren't such sophisticated shoppers. And I believe that with care in choosing today's fabrics, we could've made a better choice.

SPR R thanked Mrs. S
  • latc
    5 years ago
    Look at Sherril better quality at about the same price.
    SPR R thanked latc
  • PRO
    Nicole Forina Home
    5 years ago

I have been selling high-end furniture to designers at a trade showroom in NJ for almost 9 years. Berhardt is a great price point, but I would utilize them for case goods, beds and dining chairs. They are on the lower end of vendors we work with for quality. A step up in price and quality would be Lee and Vanguard, but if you really want a sound investment I would suggest Taylor King, Hickory Chair or Century for a great family room sofa/sectional that will last you 10-15 years in very good condition. BUT the fabric is also important for longevity. Leathers are so expensive because you could literally prolong the life of your piece by another 10 years!

So with all this being said, another thing to mention is you can't always buy direct from any of these vendors I mentioned. They protect the trade, so you would have to work through a designer to purchase. Good luck! :)

SPR R thanked Nicole Forina Home
  • John Du
    4 years ago

Same experience as S Steere , " the fabric is poor quality that began to pill just from sitting on the furniture " with very light using. I am a buyer and real user not like salesmen only had experienced from the products catalog and prices.

SPR R thanked John Du
  • Kara Dubis
    4 years ago

Fabric blends (poly/cotton, etc.) will always pill. It's not a sign of poor quality fabric, just that it's blended. Get 100% and you won't have the problem.

SPR R thanked Kara Dubis
  • amycmolina
    3 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with a Bernhardt sofa in performance fabric? I like the style of the Albion sofa. I’ve looked at other brands and can’t seem to find a sofa I like in a fabric I like.

• cricket Meyers
    3 years ago

I purchased a Bern. sofa around 15 yrs. ago. The first 7 years it was not used very much (which I've heard that is not good for the upholstery fabric - it may rot - if not used; but, don't quote me on that). It was in a formal LR. Now, it is in my Great Rm. and used everyday. It has an "ultra suede" type of fabric and has held up exceptionally well. Just starting to show its age and comfort level for its age. It has the "box" style arms instead of the usual roll style arms. I think that was no extra charge. Luv it

• sbj816
    last year

We’ve had our Bernhardt sofa for just over 10 years. It has held up great even through 3 moves. It is a larger sofa, 96”, and is used quite often. I have no complaints what so ever.

• Cindy Myers
    last year

Any pros or cons on uphlostery fabric - 100% Polypropyleve? thanks in advance

• Mrs. S
    last year

@Cindy Myers Best to start your own thread instead of tacking on to an old one.

• sbj816
    last year

Cindy, all I honestly know about the fabric on my sofa is that it is a performance fabric.