Software
Houzz Logo Print
jgreenwald

Arranging plantation shutters on mismatched windows

8 years ago
I am looking for advice on how to configure plantation shutters on 2 casement style windows each 51”x 54”. The problem is that they are broken down differently; 1 in thirds, the other in half. How many panels of shutters should I use? Should they line up with the mullions and would it look better for the shutters to match the window (the view is not the concern) or match each other. I do not have moulding and there are marble window sills with inset radiators beneath both. Should I add moulding or hang inset? If I have moulding where would it end due to the radiators underneath. The windows are on 2 different walls but in the same visual range. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago

    It seems like the shutters should be the full height of the window. Are theses the shutters you have to use? IMO they look very busy. I think wood wide blinds would be better in unifying the two window styles.

    jgreenwald thanked rnonwheels
  • 8 years ago

    Why not use some roman shades or curtains? Ignore the number of casements and treat each window as one opening.


    Bathroom Wallpaper! · More Info

    Powell Residence Dining Room · More Info

    jgreenwald thanked songbird07
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Why shutters at all and IMO those just look awaful on that window a nice roman shade would be a much better choice. If you maust do the shutters they should be the height of the window and you need pro help to get them right.

    jgreenwald thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments. To clarify, these are old dilapidated shutters that are coming down. I had considered roman shades too (I do love them), but we have no privacy as you can see from the spacing of the houses. I thought I could tilt shutters a little when needed. I have gotten some professional quotes which differ depending on if I put trim around the windows. My question; should I put trim or hang interior strip and how many panels? Thanks.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    My preference would be for the closed shutters to match each other. As for your other concerns I do not have any ability to answer, sorry.

    Your dog though...oh my goodness...so sweet.

    jgreenwald thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 8 years ago

    The issues here are balance and privacy. If you want to add sheer curtains on a tension rod next to the window, you'll get some privacy at whatever height you need. Then the plantation shutters can be identical. However, if you don't want sheers, stand at the windows to decide how high you want the bottom shutters closed for privacy. The weight of the shutters may also be a factor.

    I suggest you also look at glass curtains (sheers) under Roman shades. The plantation shutters may be too heavy for such wide windows- there are lightweight types that may work.

    jgreenwald thanked apple_pie_order
  • 8 years ago

    I love your plan of plantation shutters, with your window sills, get them to sit on those inset or with a good moulding. As you are getting quotes from professionals, follow their advice. Keep all of it simple, your sofa backs to the windows, drapes will clutter the space. Love your dog.

    jgreenwald thanked C Marlin
  • 8 years ago

    I would do simple bottom-up/top-down Duette shades with an inside mount, matched to the window color.

    jgreenwald thanked chispa
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would do outside mount, the installer will put on the mounting strip. It's actually good that you don't have trim, it won't interfere with the installation. And the outside mount won't interfere with your window mechanisms and sills.

    I would probably do two panels on each window group. The muntins won't line up on the three window panel but I think would look better from the inside.

    jgreenwald thanked deegw
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    For the three windows you could do a single panel on one side and then two bifold panels from the other side. That should line up with the muntins. At all depends on the scale of both of the window groups and the shutter panels. Your installer should be able to help you figure out which look will be more attractive.

    jgreenwald thanked deegw
  • 8 years ago

    jgreenwald, I vote for the shutters which I love. Jan is right...call a dealer and have someone come to your home. It's really the best way to do this, and you will love the results.

    jgreenwald thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you call a local Hunter Dougla dealer they can offer you other custom options that will allow the same versatility as shutters. Such as HD Sihouettes. You need a pro measure . On site and the pro install.

  • 8 years ago

    If the dog likes the windows, Silhouettes and other lovely shades with expensive and fussy dry cleaning requirements will not be compatible. Getting an estimate from a dry cleaner is an eye opener.

    Sometimes easy-care, dog-friendly treatments are better choices than elegant dry-clean-only treatments.

    jgreenwald thanked apple_pie_order
  • 8 years ago

    Really good point--the dog looks out the window all the time!


  • 8 years ago

    Our cat gazes out our plantation shutters constantly. A couple pros for the shutters, aside from looking great, they're very easy to clean (unlike fabric) and usually add value to your home. You want wide louvers...ours are all 3 1/2" but 4" to 4 1/2" would be better.

    jgreenwald thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Have the stiles of the shutter panels line up with the window mullions. Two panels on the double window. Three panels on the triple window. The idea is to have the louvered section of the panel over each glass section. It will look great. Good luck with the project.

    jgreenwald thanked The Shutter Company
  • 8 years ago

    Use the same number of panels as the number of windows. Line the stiles up with the mullions. Use an inside mount frame that is typically called a Z frame and do a sill cut on the bottom. This way the frame will sit on the marble sill and the sides and top will overlap the edges giving you a nice finished look.

    You can get a free ebook that explains all about shutters at this blog post.

    https://dressthatwindow.com/beauty-of-shutters/

    another thing I would recommend is that you do what is called a split tilt. You will see that in this picture also. The tilt rod is made as 2 pieces so that you can open the top and bottom separately. This allows you to open the top for light and leave the bottom closed for privacy.

    Don't get Hunter Douglas shutters unless you want to over pay. Get that ebook and read it to understand the different types of materials and what is best.

    If you are somewhat handy you could easily install the shutters for these 2 windows yourself. If you are not handy, say yourself the frustration and have someone else do it. Good luck!

    jgreenwald thanked Mike