Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
93dave

Uneven foundation concrete wall and sill plates/framing issue

93dave
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

I am building a home with a typical level 1-2 builder in Texas.

Concrete was poured couple weeks ago, and framing has almost finished.

Very quickly, it has concerned me that, what it appears to be a load bearing wall, the framing is not sitting flush with the concrete because of the uneven surface. In my opinion the pour was not done very nicely and it's causing the sill plates at garage corners towards the front of the houses to be not levelling with the concrete, and appears to almost "float" towards the edge.

Is this surely a problem and needs to be addressed? Builder does not know the answer to this yet as well and it is very concerning. I'm not sure if shimming can be used, or simply a mortar or non-shrink grout can be used to fill the void.

Looked very typical as I saw other homes in this neighborhood with similar conditions.

Thank you guys in advance.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    6 years ago

That should be corrected and there should be a sill sealer under the sill plate unless they plan to use foam to seal the gap between the sill plate and the foundation.

93dave thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

These boys must not be familiar with a simple tool called a level...

And if the general contractor doesn't know what to do, it may be time to get your deposit back and move down the street...

93dave thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • cpartist
    6 years ago

Do yourself a favor and hire an independent inspector to come out so when you go to get your money back, you have a "professional" who has documented why.

93dave thanked cpartist
  • User
    6 years ago

When Hacks Build Cheap 4 Month Build Time Houses, Volume 1; The Foundation. Soon to be followed by, It’ll Be Awlraht, 1001 Outrageous Lies TX Builders Tell While Picking Your Pocket.

If that’s their level of quality and attention to detail, then DON’T. Just don’t.

93dave thanked User
  • Godswood
    6 years ago

Not only is this not correct and needs to be corrected (a foundation is important as it holds up your entire home) but where is the sill plate foam and why isn't there a double sill plate?

I can't believe your general contractor doesn't know what to do! I'd hire a new one pronto. Your current one has plenty time to make mountains of mistakes since they can't even get this right..

93dave thanked Godswood
  • worthy
    6 years ago

It would be nice if more than just one or two of the posts and studs actually touched the sole plate. I notice they didn't even bother to use all the nail holes in the tie-down either. I mentioned that to my framing contractor once. His answer, "None of my houses have fallen down!" Neither will yours if you just look the other way and trust the "professionals." (My home plans are all reviewed by a P. Eng. and none have ever required double sill plates. )

93dave thanked worthy
  • User
    6 years ago

I guess "just put another nail in" didn't work.

93dave thanked User
  • 93dave
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Builder said that they do not press anything between the frame and the concrete, but at insulation stage, they spray a foam at the base of the walls where they meet the concrete. Is this acceptable?

As for the gaps toward the edge where the slab slopes down and does not make a contact patch with the sill plate.. what would be the best method to address this? Would shimming or filling the space with grout/mortar be the best?

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I'm sorry dave but if you continue down this rabbit hole, you're in for a lot more heartache. This is not even to code.

93dave thanked cpartist
  • Godswood
    6 years ago

I don't know the best way to fix this. It shouldn't have happened in the first place. A COMPETENT builder and concrete pourer wouldn't have left you questioning the build like this, especially at the vey beginning stage.

93dave thanked Godswood
  • PRO
    PPF.
    6 years ago

Non shrinking grout. It's designed for this type of structural repair/application.

93dave thanked PPF.
  • galore2112
    6 years ago

Good luck with getting that fixed other than spray foam if that’s what they do where you build.

This looks like every other new build in the Dallas metroplex.

93dave thanked galore2112
  • dbrad
    6 years ago

I'd be more concerned about that single jack stud under that large garage door header - or maybe my eyes deceive me?

Unfortunately galore2112 is right. Unless you are building a custom home and have the power of the purse on your side, they probably aren't going to do much about this if the inspectors pass it.

• PRO
    Springtime Builders
    6 years ago

Everything IS bigger in TX!

Find a builder or home that is Energy Star certified or insist on it for your current build if it's not too late. You're correct to be concerned with your build's lack of attention to detail behind the finished surfaces.

Not only is the concrete inaccurate, the brushed surfaces indicate a lot of honeycombing cosmetic cover-up. No sill sealer or garage leg shear wall?

• worthy
    6 years ago

So this here is that Texas quality I hear so much braagin' about.

• just_janni
    6 years ago

And remember - gummit regulation is bad - that's why the state does not license GCs!

• Suru
    6 years ago

My DH, the former framer, said that the sill will settle as well as the studs unless they shim it or use dry pack. I can't imagine how spray foam insulation could be expected to hold up a house. I'm sorry this happening on your build.

• galore2112
    6 years ago

For comparison: I took these pictures today at a custom (not tract) $1.5M construction site in Dallas.

Floating studs:

Cantilevered board:

Airgap:

Texas quality.

93dave thanked galore2112
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

I don't know whose million dollar home this may be, but it's past time for an all stop order and a come-to-Jesus meeting with the "builder" and whomever is masquerading as the field superintendent...

There are wonderful and experienced builders in Texas. These ain't them.

• User
    6 years ago

Free range builders Don’t need no stankeen liesunz in Tehoss

• Jeremy Stewart
    4 years ago

Everything seems to be this way in Texas when it comes to contractors.