Software
Houzz Logo Print
mrsti

36" Gas range with easy to clean cooktop

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm involved in the design phase of my daughter's home renovation and to ease some of the work, I'm in charge of researching new appliances.

I remodelled my kitchen 15 years ago and purchased high end appliances and never felt they were so wonderful except for my Sub Zero.

As mentioned above my first item is the range. DSIL loves to cook and is excellent at it too.

DD is a clean fanatic.

After doing a search I came up empty with finding a range with a cooktop that is easy to clean.

Does Consumer Reports tackle this feature for the cooktop as well as the oven?

Any suggestions as to which brand is easy to clean? I'm not sure they are interested in an induction range but they seem to be easier to clean.

One more question, it seems to me the reliability of the costly appliances is lacking in one way or another at least from the reviews I've been reading. Should they opt for extra warranty for the more costly appliances?

MrsTi

Comments (7)

  • 8 years ago

    Really, if "clean fanatic" has easy-to-clean as the #1 priority, then induction is the best choice. Done. The next step is to research for a local appliance dealer with a great service reputation - because appliances at every price point can run into problems so the ease of getting them addressed will directly impact your satisfaction with whatever you choose. Finally, induction is in many ways a tech product, so get out there and use them before you buy. You may, for example, find you don't like push button controls and steer towards a range with traditional knobs - better to find these preferances out before you purchase.

  • 8 years ago

    Trying the induction is xcellent advice that I hadn't thought of.

    I didn't know they made non-stick grates.

    Much appreciate your comments.

  • 8 years ago

    Another vote for induction- excellent control- as good or better than gas (but you must get induction with enough settings) and easy of cleaning- love it.

  • 8 years ago

    PS With induction, if you have a hard time finding a 36" range, consider the 36" cooktop and a wall oven undermounted in the counter. Bosch makes great induction hobs and is middle of the road in prices. I think Kitchen Aid is good as well.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Definitely induction is by far the easiest clean. An induction cooktop with the wall oven, like mentioned above, will probably be the best choice. Also go with the electronic controls as opposed to the knobs for ease of cleaning and nicer look. If your daughter is not a fan of the cooktop/wall oven combo, definitely go with the "standalone" range.


    PS From my experience, GE/Kitchenaid/Frigidaire are the best bang for your buck cooktops out there.

  • 8 years ago

    If ease of cleaning is the primary concern, then there honestly isn't even a question. Induction wins every time.

    If other factors are also in play, then gas might still be possible. I personally find, my Bluestar RNB with open burners is about as easy to clean as it gets. Most days, just a quick wipe with a damp rag across the grates, and then clean the stainless front with a kitchen towel. Every couple of months, I clean the drip tray.

    The cast iron grates develop a natural patina that is naturally easy to keep clean. But they'll never look factory new after first use. So, it depends on whether that bothers you