artmaker

dimensions?

Yvonne
June 15, 2013
Love the sunroom entrance onto the screened porch. DH and I are looking at the same layout for our renovation to a small cottage that is situated on a thick wooded lot overlooking a creek. Currently the GC has the finished dimensions of each room at 10' off the house x 13' wide. Could you tell me the dimensions in this photo?
Rear Porch · More Info

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Group3
    This porch is 12 feet deep and 3o feet wide. A 12 foot deep porch allows for furniture grouping and room to walk through.
    Yvonne thanked Group3
  • Carrie Paul
    who makes the door?
  • creativemonty
    I am building a post and beam timber frame home in muskoka region in ontario and built this exact sun room , french doors, leading into the screened muskoka from. can't wait to use it
  • Amanda Yannello
    How much does a porch normally run like this a square foot ...not looking for contractors yet just brainstorming house plans
  • PRO
    Group3

Oooo... cost per square foot... there really is no "normal" for that, all architects and builders with experience in high quality work cringe when asked because those who don't do the highest quality work will always insist it can be done for less... and who are you going to believe, the person who quotes an "outrageous" number or the one who tells you what you'd like to believe is true? There is so much that goes into a square foot cost that you don't see, you can't compare apples unless you know what's in the builder's quote. For example, the flooring is 5/4 x 6 #1 kiln dried pressure treated pine with concealed fasteners, primed on all sides before installation, painted with high quality deck paint and sloped to drain.. that's way beyond how most decks are constructed. My guess is that it's 3 times more expensive than 1x6 spaced decking. Other things you see in the photo are of similar quality. We have the ability to design to budgets and most of our clients, if they take the time to let us explain the difference, understand that there is a big difference in common construction materials and techniques and what you'd want to have in your house if you knew about the difference. I've found most people have tuned out by this stage and what they hear is "...blah, blah, blah, these guys are way too expensive!" (Sorry to rant.)

As a rule of thumb, screen porches generally run from 50% to 75% of the cost of the heated square footage of the rest of the house.

• sweetisabelle

Awesome information! Thank you for taking the time to explain!

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268