Software
Houzz Logo Print
sergio_chicau

Uneven lawn

8 years ago

After two years delaying and denying the obvious, finally I decided to get my lawn even. Because it was so uneven, in some locations almost 7", I decided to remove it like a sod, put some topsoil and put it back! The operation is in a middle term. Do you guys think the St. Augustine will thrive after this shock?


Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    Ummm, no I don't think the grass will survive. If you can unroll it all then you have a chance of saving it. St Augustine gets a fungal disease very easily when air circulation is cut off. The grass underneath your rolls will get the disease, too. If you can unroll it, and keep it moist enough to keep the grass greenish, most of it should survive. It does not have to be soggy every day or any day. It can take more dry roots than many people believe. If you get the disease, I have been very successful using ordinary corn meal (available in 50-pound bags at the feed store) to treat it. Apply at a rate of 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet and give it 3 full weeks to respond.

    Once you get the sod off, drag a drag around on top and put the grass back. It looks like you might have a mound of soil there. Are you planning to remove some soil? Anyway, drag the drag and water it down to ensure it is level. If you need to drag some more, do that and water it again. Drag and water until you are happy with it and get the grass back on it quickly. Then roll the sod down with a roller or walk on it to ensure the bottom of the sod is in contact with the top of the soil. If the soil is mushy wet, you'll have to wait until it firms up to do this step.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you so much for your advice! I've learned so much with your comments around this forum! I'll do the best I can...fingers crossed! ;-)

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    After some time thinking about it I decided to try tttf. I used a blend with Olympus and braveheart.

    I live in a climate similar to San luis Obispo ( a little colder and rainier in winter).

    After one month is like the photos above show.

    Can anyone tell me why I have some circles of deep green in my lawn? :-/

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    After decide to change from St. Augustine to tall fescue this is how it looks after three months! I hope my new lawn can handle the summer ( pretty much like San Diego)! :-)

  • 8 years ago

    I completely missed your April posts. Obviously it came in well. I have some questions.

    Did the dark green circles fix themselves? or did you apply fertilizer and they disappeared?

    Where do you live, San Diegoish or San Luis Obispoish? You can go ahead and name the town or community. We're not coming to visit. Although I don't have 4th of July plans yet ;-)

    How are you watering? How often and for how long?

    What have you fertilized with and when did you apply?

    When did you reseed?

    Did you get weeds with the reseeding?

  • 8 years ago

    Hello Dchall,


    Yes, the circles vanished when the grass around them started to grow. However it was very strange to see so perfect circles on the lawn.


    I sowed in the beginning of spring. After 4 weeks i put alfalfa pellets (20 pounds per 1000 sqft). In the beginning of May i reseed with half the rate I had used. Two weeks ago a put down some corn meal with the same rate as the alfalfa pellets.


    About the watering, at this moment, I'm doing it as you recommend, waiting for the lawn to show signs of wilt. When that happens I water in the early morning, enough to put down 3/4". I have a sandy soil so at this time of the year and with my immature lawn I'm watering 2 times a week. I got some weeds in the process but nothing serious for now.


    About my location I'm half globe away! :-) I'm in Portugal, 15 miles south from Lisbon. My climate is like San Francisco from November to May and the remaining is like San Diego. :-)


    I'll keep posting pics of my lawn during the summer. I'm looking forward to know how it will deal with the temperatures around 85 for three months!


    About the 4th of July...we don't celebrate it :-) but if you'd like to come and visit the Europe's West Coast you'll be welcome!

  • 8 years ago

    Perfect circle spots in the lawn are almost always caused by a fungus. If you see a perfect circle of dead grass, then that's bad, but at least you know it was caused by a fungus and you can treat it. In your case it looks like the circles were caused by the growth of some beneficial fungus which your lawn was lacking. As it spread it encompassed the entire lawn area, so that's what you want. Another reason for circular spots is a water leak from underground pipes. Another possible reason is a fertilizer spill.

    Thanks for clarifying your location. Are you from there? Your English is very native sounding, and you seem to know a bit about California climates. The location sounds ideal...except for the Portuguese part. I listen to a lot of international music. The music of Brazil always makes me try to tune in, but the differences between Spanish pronunciation and Portuguese always messes me up. Here in Texas we are pretty used to Spanish.

    I agree with your watering, although you might back off to 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) each time, twice a week.

  • 8 years ago

    Hello Dchall,


    I don't have underground pipes on that area. I could have tossed an extra alfalfa dose, but only on those spots seem unrealistic. The fungus hypothesis seems great, I hope it continues around there :-)


    Yes, I'm Portuguese...born and raised! :-) Lisbon's climate is awesome. A little wet in winter for me, but that's why it stays so mild.

    I got my property 4 years ago and since then I've been growing a surprisingly interest about gardening. In these years I've been trying to learn the most I can about it online but, unfortunately, gardening is not a popular topic in portuguese forums! :-(

    So, I turned to the most similar climate to mine...The California climate. And when it comes to lawn, let me tell you that your posts and comments around houzz have been priceless to me! Thank you so much!


    About portuguese and Spanish occurs an odd situation...For some reason we can understand them reasonable well, but the opposite doesn't happens! :-/ who knows why!