Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37756372

Help me redesign my kitchen!

8 years ago
I am currently contemplating painting my kitchen cabinets, replacing the countertop & sink, and adding backsplash. I have attached pictures showing our now basic builders grade cabinets and also pictures of what we were thinking of transforming it to. We are no experts so I would love input!! Please let me know if you think the end result is attainable and what you would recommend.

Comments (23)

  • 8 years ago
    We were also thinking about adding wainscoting to the extended countertop piece and molding to top of cabinets if we decide to get fancy. From what I have read, BM advance is the way to go for paint. I do not want a super bright white but more of a milky white. Any color recommendations would be helpful too!
  • 8 years ago
    Are the first and third photos your potential designs?
    Neither are good.
    Please consult with a kitchen designer.
    The first most obvious problem is that neither design have a proper vent hood over the cooktop.
    I do however like your idea of a molding on top of the cabinets extending to the ceiling.
  • 8 years ago

    Your kitchen is actually quite nice. Know that the kitchens you are contemplating are quite expensive. I have no idea of your budget or your house compared to the others in the neighborhood, but you are looking at 50K kitchens.

    It would be best for you if you started an idea book for kitchens. Include what you like, dislike, goals, etc.

    When we remodeled our kitchen, we kept the same footprint. When I had the General Contractor come for a walk thru, I had every single decision made so there were no surprises or last minute anguishes. It was a very stress free remodel job.

    These are good articles to peruse while you are deciding what to do.....

    [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~4306041[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~4306041)

    http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.design.rules.htm#.Wq1aeWrwaM8

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2767033/how-do-i-ask-for-layout-help-and-what-information-should-i-include

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638270/faq-kitchen-work-zones-what-are-they

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638304/faq-aisle-widths-walkways-seating-overhangs-work-landing-space-etc

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3638376/faq-how-do-i-plan-for-storage

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2699918/looking-for-layout-help-memorize-this-first

    [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/things-you-added-or-removed-that-you-love-regret-in-your-kitchen-renov-dsvw-vd~4273188[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/things-you-added-or-removed-that-you-love-regret-in-your-kitchen-renov-dsvw-vd~4273188)



  • 8 years ago

    I don't usually run with the paint the cabinets crowd, but you are correct in that the door style shows these to be not the finest wood cabinets. After you paint, be sure to wait several months before investing in expensive counters and backsplash to be sure the paint job holds up. If it doesn't quite come out as hoped then save up for new cabinets, or do less expensive counters and backsplash.

    One thought I have is that your home is probably generally warm toned and the two inspiration kitchens are rather cool. To make the kitchen flow well with the rest of the home, consider warming up the space a bit rather than going with the somewhat overdone white / gray kitchen.



    Some thoughts: Continue with a hood vent and do not put the microwave over the range. Consider removing the cabinet to the right of the sink and replace with shelves - primarily for decor. Stainless appliances would be great. If you like apron front sinks, Kohler makes the Whitehaven (cast iron) and Vault (stainless) in "short apron" styles which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. I believe Elkay has a short apron sink too. I have a short apron Whitehaven and like it a lot -pics of my kitchen in my "my pics" idea book. The only thing I don't like about your layout is the range is a bit close to the sink. If you can move it towards the fridge - switch the cabinets - that would give you more prep area. You would need to move the gas / electrical and vent too - which might make it too much trouble. It would depend on how easy those things could be moved and your budget.

  • 8 years ago
    We don't plan on staying in our house forever which is why we were considering painting. We actually had someone in our house before and to replace everything it would cost about $15k. We got a quote to re-face and it was almost as much! There is nothing wrong with our cabinets, they are in good shape, so just looking for an alternative.

    For those who don't like the design, would you think white + glazed cabinets would look better? I would not attempt glazing on my own. I don't think dark cabinets would look good in our house esp with the wood floor so white was our go to. You are right and I don't want a stark white, but rather a "warmed up" tone of white.
  • 8 years ago

    NO glazing.

    Just know that painting the cabinets will not really make them look better. It will be impossible to keep from getting the grain to show thru.

    If you paint them, best to use a professional and it will be close to the price of new cabinets because they will be done properly.

    I think by painting you will just be adding lipstick on a pig. You will not get the look you are going for. Here is a house discussion about painting the cabinets....

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-cabinet-painting-fail-dsvw-vd~2881340

    Best to wait. And come up with a plan. Then decide what to do. Because once you paint, then come new countertops at $80 a square foot and then a new sink and then a new faucet and I need new hardware and the soft close hinges are not cheap. Once you go down the rabbit hole without a plan, you will follow good money after bad.

    So, to answer your question, the end look is not attainable with your cabinets, IMHO.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    NO GLAZING EVER> IMO that kitchen is not very functional and having cabinets painted is not cheap and unless you have DIYed many cabinets this is not the place to start. To come even close to your inspiration pics will require a redo . You certainly should not add molding to the ceiling above those cabinets it will look all out of proportion. Save your money and do it right builders grade cabinets are not worth saving and all the base ones need to be drawers . Your 2nd pic is awful in so many ways I would work in there for 1/2 hr and want to kill the designer. You have a really great space make the most of it instead of spending money that won’t really help. If you do this right it will give you joy while you are in the house and will repay you when you sell.

  • 8 years ago
    I was concerned about the grain showing through soon glad you pointed that out. Just curious,Why would you say no to the glaze look when you said I should go with something warmer?
  • 8 years ago
    Picture 1 is glazed white cabinet, picture 3 is white. As you can tell picture 1 is more of a stark white. I thought the duller look would look better, no?

    For those saying no to paint, what design would you choose IF we decide to replace?
    Very open to recommendations. I would NOT change the setup though except add microwave above the stove. And we would not change floor because its hardwood throughout kitchen, living room & hallway.
    Just looking for color scheme/design recommendations.
  • 8 years ago
    Correction-picture 3 is more of a stark white
  • 8 years ago

    IMHO, glazing doesn't warm things up, it just makes it look dirty in the cracks and crevices.

    And no cooktop on an island. That's one reason why the second picture is not functional.

    Please peruse the articles I included. They will explain so much!!

  • 8 years ago

    Sorry, cross posts. Do not put the microwave above the stove. You cannot properly vent the stove. You have a hard time cooking and using the microwave at the same time. Especially if you are short...like me!!! Especially if you cook a lot...like me!!

  • 8 years ago
    I am 4'10.. I know all about being short lol fortunately I don't use the micro that much!
  • 8 years ago
    Heavens! So many anti-painters!! If you want to do a budget make-you-happy diy, I think paint yourself will do FINE and be only a couple of hundred bucks. Get new cabinet hardware, for sure, and plan than before the paint so you know if you're filling any holes before you paint. Unless your countertops are in bad shape, think about keeping them and spending that money on some pretty light fixtures - a row of pendants or anything else. Stand with the countertops and a paint chip book and find a palatte that you find pleasing, then figure out how you can use wall paint, cabinet paint, light fixtures to make the countertops something you like.

    Again, that's all if you're doing the painting. If you're paying for paint services, all the cost balances completely change.
  • 8 years ago
    Glad to see someone is actually for painting! Would it really be that bad if the cabinets were painted? Do you think the would grain would show too much and not look appealing?
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you for the informative review. I never knew the glazed look was going out of style. 5 people I know with white cabinets all have the glazing on them!
    The grain is pretty strong which is why I am a little Leary of painting. I've gone back and forth for a year now with what I wanted to do. I just want to get it from worse to better.
  • 8 years ago

    Here are some ideas that show some changes people have done to older kitchens. Most create a sort of vintage farmhouse look. I throw them out just to give ideas:

    Changing some cabinets to open cabinets:


    I love this hood change out. It is too bad the cabinets on each side are not symmetrical, but it is sweet. Some will be concerned that shelves next to the range may get greasy - I haven't noticed a problem with mine. If you want info on this let me know - this is not my kitchen but I did get a wood hood with vent insert.

    Small amount of open shelving:


    I will post more pics in a bit.

  • 8 years ago

    Here is another kitchen that changed out some cabinets for open cabinets:


    This is the guest house kitchen from the same source as the above kitchen (French Country Cottage blog):


    You can replace the center panel in some cabinets with glass. You can use frosted or beaded glass to help hide the inside of the cabinet:


    Beadboard is an inexpensive backsplash:


    I've been considering curtaining my sink base, but I have to find a way to do it that will keep the dogs out. This curtain has easy to move rings - it needs to be easily accessible:


    This color is pretty if you want to go warmer than white:


  • 8 years ago

    Well, those pics are "cute" but I couldn't abide the dust that would collect on dishes on open shelving in a kitchen.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you JHMarie for the suggestions. I do however have to agree with PP. Just not a fan of the open shelving concept in my kitchen.
  • 8 years ago

    I do not like a lot of open shelving myself, but I do have a plate rail and I find it no big deal to keep clean. People will do what they will for what they like - white cabinets will also require more diligent cleaning, but if that is what a person likes, they will happily do it.

    The thing is that you will be trading large expanse of wood for large expanse of white - or whatever color you choose to paint. This is another reason to consider a hood rather than a microwave over the range and moving the range down one set of cabinets. The hood will break up the string of cabinets. Glass panel doors can also help, but some of your doors, as they appear on my monitor, are a little large for a glass panel. However, computer monitors can distort colors, and pics don't always give correct perspective.

    I do have some open shelving in my basement kitchenette. Only the bottom shelf is used for dishes. The upper are decor only, so not a big deal if they get a little dusty now and then.


  • 6 years ago

    I am a little surprised and confused that this thread came up on my feed, but I really like some of the suggestions here with what looks like just removing a few doors and keeping the shelving. I too am not a big fan of open shelving in kitchens, but a few scattered around, particularly the one with it on both sides of the sink looks great to me.