squirrelgirl2

Asparagus and Rhubarb

squirrelgirl2

I bought some Asparagus and Rhubarb roots at Menards about a week ago. They were inside the store where it was warm, so I brought them in the house (it's still pretty cold here.. 30 F today) but I noticed they have started sprouting inside the bags. Will they be okay left in there until planting in May or should I move them to some large starter pots indoors and then move them in May?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Where do you live? The Arctic? Rhubarb can be planted anytime the ground is workable. In fact the traditional method over here is to dig it up and expose the roots to frost before replanting. Asparagus us also pretty tough. I'd reintroduce your plants to the outdoors gradually and then plant them. If you keep them indoors until May they'll quite likely be dead by then.

• squirrelgirl2

Well, my garden is still covered by about a foot of snow soooo.... I'm in North Dakota, zone 4a.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)

Pot them up, cover with mulch, and put them outside.

Rodney

• digdirt2

Ok so you can't plant them right now with a foot of snow but surely you'll have cooperative weather before May. Get them into the ground ASAP. Meanwhile into pots of potting soil - the bigger the pots the better - and like Rodney said well mulched and outside in a sheltered location. Keep them well watered.

Dave

20 Years of Interior Design & Decorating Experience in Loudoun County