kelley_dunn

Quartzite Countertop Dilemma

Kelley Dunn
We are in the process of making selections for a kitchen remodel that will start in May/June 2018. Like many people we love the look of marble, but definitely couldn’t deal with the low durability aspects. I haven’t found a granite that would be a good substitute. So, now we are focusing on quartzites.

My concern is whether I can really trust the quartzite label in many of my top picks. Aside from the color name change issue across stone suppliers, they each also classify the quartzites differently. Sometimes it is labeled as granite (white Macauba), some times it is labeled as “soft quartzite,” sometimes they are labeled as calcite or dolomite.

All of the pictures below are labeled as strictly quartzite and I was assured by the stone supplier reps that they are true quartzites.
1. Piata 2. Mont Blanc 3. Calcutta Super White 4. Quartzite Gioia

I am also considering Zermatt.

Does anyone have experience with these? I wasn’t able to get samples to test at home. I do not want to spend $$$ on a countertop that will scratch/stain/etch.

• karin_mt

Okay, now on to the fun stuff.

Kelley, you are going about this exactly right. Get samples and test them, and you'll learn everything you need to know. Any of the links people shared above will lead you to the correct info. The article that Beth posted (http://usenaturalstone.com/definitive-guide-quartzite/) is a tidy summary of the whole topic, with photos of how to do the tests.

Macaubas is a quartzite but it has not been metamorphosed to the degree that stones like Taj Mahal have been. So it's a bit porous. Some people have had stains seep in from the edges, just like your samples. Other have had no problem at all.

Sealers would help, but it's hard to say how much.

Sometimes the dealers won't give out samples, and in that case you can ask if you can do the test on pieces of stone at the slab yard. Bring a glass tile or a bottle and find a sharp edge of the stone to scratch. It works, but it's awkward.

Good luck! It's well worth the effort.

• karin_mt

Now on to debunking the incorrect info shared by Quartz Stone Care. It's especially important that pros get this information correct.

He (assuming "he" but could be wrong) wrote:
    "No white quartzite is a true quartzite..... the white color come from calcium which is the same base as marble."

No, that is entirely incorrect.

Quartzite can certainly be white. It's white color comes from... wait for it... quartz! The mineral quartz can be white, clear, grey, pink, purple, yellow, salmon, and near black. Those are natural colors.

Furthermore, lots of minerals can be white. White is perhaps the least diagnostic color in all of geology.

"All White labeled quartzites are soft stones..."

Nope.

Please, I beg of you, bone up on this information so that you are not sharing/spreading false info. You are doing yourself no favors, not to mention the people that see your "pro" status and follow your advice. The whole reason I work on this topic is to help people in the industry understand this better, so that customers can make informed choices. Read any of the articles I've written on this topic, ask me any questions you have, and please get the facts straight. It's in all of our best interest to be educated ourselves and help customers become educated as well.

Thank you!

• threelittlelights13

Sorry to highjack the thread, but karin_mt is a rock star!! I have spent hours reading karin’s threads and I’m so grateful for all the help.

What do you think of my Mont Blanc? It looks like a zillion crystals stuck together, which is hard to see in a photo. It does not etch at all and it did cut glass. I’m calling it scratching, but it’s more accuarate to say a few of the little crystals have popped out. When I did the testing the material was already sealed and staining is not an issue at all. One of the posters above said it was a marble. Do you think that’s the case? I did not think it had a high calcium content because it doesn’t react to acids in the kitchen.

Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts

I stand corrected thank you, though as you are aware there is a lot of miss labeling of stones that do not actually belong in the category nor are they the correct classification of stone. Quartzites are still a metamorphic stone and thus falls into the soft stone category of the stone world. They are not an igneous stone

Like Mont Blanc as a prime example traditionally this is know as a marble, yet we have seen quartzites that are label the same, yet different material. Yes they are both metamorphic stones but from different regions and from a stone industry perspective different stones and names. Again this is somewhat of a marketing ploy from retailers etc and yes the stone industry is at fault to as most fabricators will slightly change the names of the dimensional stone to stop being shopped around

Why I soft stone, like marble is etc they require different processing and even from a carving point of view require different tempered chisels etc. Sedimentary are different again with the same process as well as igneous stone. Using a sedimentary blade or chisel on soft stone will not break it but it will not cut real well either, but do the same to an igneous rock and you destroy your tooling.

Hence why the stone industry classes, soft and hard stone.

• karin_mt

Yes, I am totally aware of the mislabeling problem. That is why everyone needs to do better. Especially people with a "pro" under their name.

Quartzites are not soft. That is completely wrong.

It is not true that metamorphic rocks are in the "soft stone category." That makes no sense. Plenty of metamorphic rocks are hard: gneiss, granulite, schist (sometimes).

The hardness of a stone is determined by the minerals in it. Regardless of whether a rock is igneous, metamorphic, or sedimentary, if it contains hard minerals (like quartz), it's hard.

One caveat to that is how well stuck together the minerals are. It's possible to have a rock with hard minerals that are not well glued together. Some sandstones are like that. They are hard (they'll scratch glass easily) but they fall apart.

Nonetheless, it bears repeating: quartzite is hard. :)

Yes understand there are plenty of stones that are not metamorphic rocks that are not soft, but they are not used in dimensional stone either.

What we were saying from a stone industry point of view and it is not technically right but they are processed as soft, or hard stones in the case of igneous and metamorphic dimensional stone

As you are aware not all stone is or can be dimensional stone.

Yes I agree some sandstone can be extremely hard, yet they are still processed differently.

Where i did my apprenticeship we have iron banding in the sandstone and a large iron content why the pink to brown colors and heavy figuring. Yes this was extremely hard and somewhat inconsistent when carving or cutting due to the iron bonds or content.

Yet further down the road was Gosford stone which is white sandstone and a lot softer.

I do understand the geology point of view, but also some does not translate to the stone industry unfortunately, and with dimensional stone not all references apply from a processing point of view, when dealing with diamond/ tungsten matrixes and tempered steel/ tungsten carving chisels etc.

From a processing point of view, yes some quartzites are harder than others like you pointed out with some sandstones and granites

Its a bit like processing or even polishing Calca granite which is extremely hard and would guess its from the high feldspar content and polishing but balmoral red which looks similar is still hard but nothing like calca.

Something like a so called granite like Black forest which basically looks and works like petrified mud in some cases. Tennant Creek granite is also extremely hard or it is sometimes call Dream Time Granite. it a weird stone has purples, yellows etc in it.

You may be able to shed some light?

http://www.asaa.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Dreamtime-granite-Melocco.pdf

• karin_mt

Threelittlelights, thank you for the kind words and I'm glad the info has helped!

Based on your test results, that sounds like quartzite to me. The properties of the stone always trump the label. If it scratches glass and doesn't etch, it's quartzite. Yay!

As for the minerals popping out, that does happen. Hopefully it's not widespread.

PS - just did some Google image searches for 'Mont Blanc quartzite' and 'Mont Blanc marble.' Came up with different-looking stones with the same name. Some look like yours, while others are a more even-toned white with corss-bedding (a telltale sign that it's quartzite). Do you have any pieces of yours left over after fabrication? I'd love to test it.

• karin_mt

Quartz, sure, I understand that the dimension stone perspective is not the same as the geologic perspective. I totally get that and I don't think that everyone should use the exact same naming conventions, especially if you are talking about the processing side of things.

BUT - regardless of what industry you work in, you have to be careful not to post information that is not correct. There are hard, metamorphic dimension stones. Gneiss is an example of this. Nonetheless, I understand there are rules of thumb and generalizations that work most of the time. But the examples I called out above are wrong, no matter how you slice it - and this is part of the ongoing problem with quartzite.

BTW, the iron-rich sandstone you referred to a famous rock among geologists. It's the third section in my article about striped stones:
    http://usenaturalstone.com/striking-patterns-stripes-tell-stone/

• threelittlelights13

karin, thank you so much for your insight! A lot of friends and clients come in my kitchen and love this stone, but I am nervous to pass on anecdotal advice and recommend it without any scientific facts to back it up. This stone was sold to us as a quartzite by the wholesaler, but I often see it described as a marble, and have even seen it called a level 3 granite! My fabricator didn’t think it is a marble because it doesn’t etch, but wouldn’t classify it otherwise because he felt the particular name didn’t matter as much as the results we got from testing. There are some samples left over from fabrication.

I was also able to capture a photo this morning when the sun was just coming up that shows the little individual pieces stuck together.

• karin_mt

Pretty picture! You captured the sparkle-effect nicely. I agree that you don't want to generalize too much based on your results. Good for you to be careful with what kind of info you pass along. If only everyone were as sensible as you!

If you want to send a sample I'd be happy to check it out. You've got me curious!

• threelittlelights13

I would love to send you a sample! My husband wants to ceramic coat the countertops to preserve them, but I am afraid we’ll lose the sparkle that makes it so special! Perhaps an idea of what kind of stone it is will tip the scale one way or the other :)

• karin_mt

Sounds good! Send me a private message - I tried to message you but your settings didn't seem to allow it.

• sierrakaren

Is quartzite is ok for shower wall? Thanks everyone for discussion. I was at MSI location yesterday, and not having previously read this, fell in love with slabs labeled Zermatt, Mont Blanc, White Macaubus.

• rob_jc4

I was hoping to jump into this post with a question regarding the sealing of my newly installed Mont Blanc quartzite. I tested the samples before installation and they easily scratched glass and didnt etch with any acids so i'm confident this is quartzite and not marble. However this stone is quite porous and i have a couple of dark stains (pics to follow) i'm working poultice on. The stone dealer supposedly sealed this and our installer quickly wiped it down with sealer as well. Should i take another step and have it professional sealed with an impregnator at this point? Some of these threads have shown their counters riddled with dark spots so i'm trying to be a little proactive about it.

Beth H. :

Rob,,,if you sprinkle drops of water on it, does it sit there or absorb? if it absorbs, it needs sealer. if not,,,it prob is sealed as best as it will be. try diff spots and see.

• Maria Obana

We haven't moved back in yet, but we love the looks of our newly installed quartzite counter tops. We used Taj Mahal in the kitchen and bathrooms. Our back splash added glass/stone mixed tiles to (hopefully!) compliment the existing glass block which we kept.

• Maria Obana

Rob - mine is highly polished and has impregnator on it of some kind - water beads up immediately - it doesn't seem at all porous. We are a few weeks away from moving in so I have no practical experience living with it yet.

• rob_jc4

Good to know Maria, I will likely be looking into an impregnating sealer soon. Although these could have been stains from installation and we just didn’t notice them until we really started looking...it’s odd bc we don’t really cook In he areas thy have occurred.

• lkfost

Since I had been trying to find some picture of the Zermatt Quartzite (also known as mont blanc) when I was trying to pick a countertop and backsplash, I feel it might be helpful to others to share a couple photos. I think my fabricator did a great job.

• Maria Obana

Is that Quartzite or is it Marble? I was under the impression Mont Blanc is Marble.

Update: We've been in our home for 4 months now and we are really happy with our TajMahal counters. I clean them with just water and dish soap if something is greasy or sticky and then rinse and wipe. Weekly I uses something called something like Granite Gold on it - it just puts a little something slick on the surface and makes them incredibly smooth. I plan to seal them again just before my Christmas party, but it seems like they are still well sealed.

• Nadia Kovtunovich
    A month ago we finished our kitchen and moved it. We bought the Zermatt Quartzite and it’s horribly etching/staining :( just living in here for a months, we did have it sealed. I tried different etch removing stuff and also used poultice stuff and not much luck. In one stop the poultice left a big stain and did not remove the previous stain and I feel like crying :( I did so much research and I came to conclusion it’s great stuff, my brother in law has Calcutta quartzite and he has no problems with etching/staining and he’s been living in his house for 4 years. I did few other spots with piulcitd last night but took it off this morning(and letting it dry out to see the result) the reason I took off the poultice this morning bc I see that the fists stain I worked on left stain from the poultice :( what should I did now??? please help...I am about to cry a river :( I really really regret not getting quartz like I originally was thinking, I just want to beat my self up for making this mistake. Please please don’t buy Zermatt Quartzite
    Beth H. :

nadia, at this point I'd call in a stone restoration expert. I've had my marble shower floor redone twice now, and it looks brand new.

Poultices are hard to control unless you know exactly what stain you're targeting. poultices will do nothing for etching.

after the stone guy refinishes it, you may want to settle on a honed finish. Honed finishes will not show etching as much as a polished surface.

And with that much etching, it sound like you have an actual marble (calcite) rather than a quartzite. Or, that particular slab is riddled w/calcite deposits.

• rob_jc4

The stonetech oil and stain remover has worked very well for us. But you must follow instructions to a t. Spread it out well beyond stain and leave it there for several days. Ours too had some residual dark rings that faded but took weeks to cometely fade away. I’ve also had a lot of luck with acetone placed on a folder paper towel. Will saturate it and then let it dry for completely and repeat until stain fades. Works very well on fresh oil stains. But like last comment said, our quartzite will not etch whatsoever And to be honest I was freaked out at first but its been over a year and it’s no big deal anymore. Occasionally will get a small oil stain but it comes right up With the Acetone. The stone is super hard so doesn’t scratch so the shiney finish still looks just like the day it was installed.

Beth H. :

sorry, but I wouldn't risk anymore DIY stuff on this stone. you probably have a marble rather than quartzite. the last thing you want to do is start slapping on different products hoping to get results.

Acetone won't work on etches. If you're trying to remove a large etch, it will need to be resurfaced. If it's a small etch, I wouldn't worry about it.

if you have a stain like wine or something, you can try baking soda in a paste. Peroxide is also known to help. I'd just hate for you to make it worse.

Call in a stone restorer. for 500 bucks he should be able to refinish the entire countertop

• Kristy Lewis

karin_mt Did you end up doing the ceramic coating? We are trying to pick a quartzite and that was an option given to us by the fabricator.

• karin_mt

Hi Kristy,

Hm, I think you meant your message for someone else? We're not putting in a new countertop or considering any coatings.

My advice, though, is to try to pick a stone that doesn't need a coating.

Look at some of the 'crystalline' quartzites (Taj Mahal and similar), which have low porosity. Or, stones like Fusion are similarly robust.

This article may help.

http://usenaturalstone.org/properties-of-quartzite/

• Maria Obana

So a year back into the house and we LOVE the Taj Mahal quartzite. I haven't felt the need to reseal it- it's still solid. No stains and so easy to clean up after cooking - I just use a soapy sponge and wipe. For a good cleaning I spray 50/50 mix of water/isoprophyl alcohol - doesn't seem to affect the sealer and I figure it kills germs. I do also use a granite polish once a week - compared to my old tile counters with the grout these are a dream. I don't set metal hot or cold directly on the stone, I alway use wooden cutting boards or a towel under. No scratches, no problems!

• karin_mt

Maria Obana good to know. That stone is a good one, and field reports like yours are helpful. Thank you for sharing your experiences and enjoy your beautiful stone.

• Maria Obana

We are!!!!!!! Thanks for your advice!

• new-beginning

Kristy Lewis

karin_mt
    Did you end up doing the ceramic coating? We are trying to pick a
    quartzite and that was an option given to us by the fabricator.

It was threelittlelights13 whose husband wanted to do the ceramic coating.

• govner

Hoping someone can help us out. We had mercury grey quartzite installed about 6 months ago. It was sealed at fabricator's shop and after installation. We had staining within 2 days and have been fighting staining ever since (multiple seal coats applied) . The good news is that the stone supplier (Daltile) and installer have finally agreed to replace the counter tops. We love the look of the mercury grey but are not happy with the staining (primarily olive oil) that occurs. Of course, we are questioning whether the material was actually quartzite or closer to a sandstone (lots of veining/layering) on the quartzite spectrum. Has anyone had any experience with mercury grey? Any suggestions on a replacement with similar coloring that is a true quartzite?

• karin_mt

Sorry that happened to you and I'm glad you got a resolution.

Is this your stone? http://daltilestonecenter.com/SLC/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=3419

If so, you are spot on. It's much closer to sandstone.

Not quartzite, but Viscont White has similar coloring, and the pattern varies depending on which way it's cut.

Also, some of the Fusion-style quartzites have similar coloring and are quite bulletproof.

One last one: Wild Sea is a sandstone and has fabulous cross-beds, but it's dense and does not stain. We have it and I love it. The coloring is more toward warm tones, though.

Beth H. :

govner,,,some quartzite are 'softer' and could contain higher concentrations of calcite (marble). that's why some stain and etch more than others.

I just got a Calacatta slab that was treated from the factory in Italy w/zerocare. It's their patented sealer they apply after they cut them from the blocks before shipping them overseas. the guy at my stone yard did a test on a piece of marble for me that looks a lot like your Mercury Grey.

this was 5 mins time lapse. R to L-olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, ketchup and something else.

you can see the etch marks and staining.

here the same test was done on their zero care sealant piece. same food items and same amount of time. after wiping it off:

It's just now starting to get to america and not all of their slabs have it.

you could ask your stone place if they carry anything w/zerocare

here's the slab I got. Antolini is the company. you can see the paperwork on the right side if you enlarge it.

• govner

Karin, Thanks so much for the response. And yes, the pictures in the link you included are exactly like what we have.

We've suspected that our stone is on the lower end of the quartzite spectrum if it actually can even be classified as quartzite. SO frustrating that the sales/marketing of the material states that it's quartzite and the best thing since sliced bread, or at least sliced granite. Thank you for the suggestions as well. The next trick is going to be trying to get them to agree to give us what we thought we had purchased, Their quartzite selections are somewhat limited.

Beth, thank you for your suggestions. Fingers crossed that we can find something that Daltile will be able to supply since we are pretty much locked in with them since they supplied the mercury grey.

• dooders1981

I have super white in my large kitchen. I had it honed and sealed before install 6 years ago. It still looks perfect. I love it! Have single ogi edge. I always wipe it dry around facets and sink as precaution. I do not allow anything wet to sit on it overnight or any citrus or red wine, It’s not hard to just putyour dishes in sink or dishwasher. Easy and Worth it to me. The preinstall seal they did has worked great, Having said that if we were still raising kids I think I’d put in a carara looking quartz. No worries whatsoever!

• wilson853

govner, our quartzite is Tahitian Cream from Daltile. It may not be the color that you want, but I can recommend it for its durability. We have a busy kitchen and use a lot of olive oil, lemon, and wine, and we have no chips, stains or etching. We do nothing more than wipe it down with a dishrag. This section next to my prep sink has an area that looks marble-like, but it has been impervious to everything. The only issue that we had was around the soap dispenser hole. It developed a shadow in the first week. We removed the dispenser and let it dry out. The fabricator then sealed the inside of the hole so make sure that they do that. Since then no issues. Installed April 2018.

• Kristy Lewis

I am SO frustrated. We have spent the past few days looking for the perfect "true" quartzite, but it seems like slab yards just slap on a label at whim. We've looked at ones called White Ice, White Fusion, White Storm (probably Shadow Storm which I do have a sample of and it etched after sealing), Arabescato White, etc. and they all look like dolomites or marble to me but are labeled as quartzite. Without being able to test them myself, I'm afraid to purchase them. I've read that Mont Blanc is also a dolomite, not a quartzite. Are there any that I can be SURE are quartzite without testing? What about White Pearl/Sea Pearl? Artemis? Florida Wave? We want durability in a light natural stone and just can't seem to find it. We've wasted a month because our fabricator told us the Shadow Storm we chose was a quartzite, then backpedaled after I started asking specific question once all of the experts on Houzz provided an education.

• J T

Kristy what did you find? We’re in the same predicament. Found a Mont Blanc i liked. Brought a sample home albeit not from
    The Same batch as the one i pick and possibly not sealed properly as it’s a sample. However it had dark absorption rings after seconds of any material (water, lemon, ketchup) being left on it. Don’t think it’s true etching and maybe just super porous and would dry out but how annoying to always have marked counters. I use water daily!!
    So we also want Florida wave or Artemis as they are similar coloring to Mont Blanc just more movement (maybe would hide more?!!) let me know what you find or what you test!

• J T

Here are the progression pics

• govner

There's been a change in our experience. The stone supplier (see previous post) is unable/unwilling to supply us with any colors of our liking and will be refunding our money. We are left with mercury grey counters that have on-going staining issues and have subsequently darkened and stained over the past 7 months. We plan to replace them.

We are hoping to avoid a repeat of the same problem and would like some suggestions and would like to hear some peoples' experiences with calacatta white, lamberti bianco or other similar colors. Are they porous? is there a tell tale way to know how porous a quartzite slab might be (veining, layered material deposits, etc)? Is there a sealer/impregnator that will eliminate the tendency for fluids to enter porous quartzites (mercury grey and possibly others)?

We really like the look of quartzite (light gray colors) and hope to be able to replace the mercury grey with quartzite with a proven track record of being non-porous and exhibiting the qualities of a dense, non-porous quartzite and less of a sandstone. Thanks.

Beth H. :

govner,,,, of the quartzite, the hardest (not as prone to staining or etching) are the Taj Majal, Sea Pearl, along w/these (but double check) White Macaubas, Azul Macaubas, Perla Venata

Taj

Of course, all of these still need to be sealed w/a top quality penetrating sealer. when water beads up on the surface, it's sufficiently sealed.

I would still be careful when using acidic foods and wipe upspills promptly.

have you considered the porcelain slabs? they have some newer ones that actually look like marble

• karin_mt

Oh goodness, that is completely not true. There are plenty of white quartzites. The mineral quartz is commonly white.

The industry does not need more misinformation!

• Kristy Lewis

After three coats of 511 impregnator sealer, the Mont Blanc only stained from tobasco. The other items (mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, orange shampoo) didn't stain. It didn't etch at all and cut glass. I think it is just a very porous stone. We are currently planning to use it in the master bath unless we find something we like better and are looking for something less porous in the kitchen. Right now the top contenders are White Pearl (can't find much info on it), Artemis, Blue Tahoe and Calacatta. Our island will be dark blue. We LOOOOOOVE the blue Tahoe but are worried it may be too dark.

• Kristy Lewis

Today I found this lot of Santorini quartzite and I'm in LOVE. It was hiding behind six slabs of granite but I saw the edge peeking out. I have two samples testing currently, but even without sealer, my first quick round of tobasco (which I've found to be the worst item to test with) didn't etch or stain. That is MUCH better than the Mont Blanc which sucked up all the stains easily. A squished blueberry did leave a faint mark but I think it's just a spot of moisture. I'm guessing that with the sealer it will be fairly impervious. We finally have a winner for the kitchen! We've decided to scrap the Mont Blanc and go with Arizona Tile Tipperary quartz in the master bath. It's much cheaper and I won't have to baby it. My builder and fabricator think I'm crazy for looking at so many slabs, but I definitely think it was worth the loooong hunt. I'm SO grateful for this forum and all the information I've gleaned. Especially karin_mt. You are such a valuable resource, so THANK YOU for sharing your expertise.

• karin_mt

YAY! Great find, and your persistence and knowledge paid off. Congratulations on finding 'the one!'

• J T

@karin_mt
    Thanks to you and reading your articles I found a Mont Blanc (the kind from Brazil so looks like true quartzite to me with the water streaks and veining plus it cut glass and didn’t etch (at first i thought the absorbing was etching) it is porous and before sealing it was absorbing water like crazy. The rings would dry out over time but of course that would be enough to drive anyone crazy. We sealed it a few times and behold it’s absorbed nothing since. I read your article saying that porous stone didn’t have to be a deal breaker if you treated it (sealed) it properly. Your articles were incredibly helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to write them and also to explain the metamorphosis process to us! Here’s to hoping my stone stays beautiful for years to come

• Kristy Lewis

J T What sealer did you use? I've been testing with 511 Impregnator.

• J T

Kristy its an old one we had in the back of our cabinet

• klh7332

This is very helpful as we are looking at Mont Blanc and - is it quartzite or Marble? Our dealer said Marble which was a bit of a red flag but also said it was treated with Azerocare.

So we took home a sample and it doesn't seem to scratch glass. I appllied red wine for 15 mins and lemon juice - no etching - and we have carrara in our master bath so I know etching unfortunately. The one inch water submersion for 15 mins yielded some porosity....it climbed maybe an 1/8th of an inch on the untreated side and it was consistant - treated side you could see a slightly darker shade the entire stone that was underwater.

Major kudos to karin_MT and Beth H. Heat won't be a problem will it? I think I may still need to be careful with scratching (to some extent) but I took a heavy duty steak nife with super sharp edge and it made a nominal scratch.....and not sure if it really went that deep as it didn't etch in that area after the juice.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

You aren't ever going to submerge your countertop in wine, however, if you do, please invite me over.

If the top has been treated with Azerocare, you aren't going to etch or stain it if you are even somewhat conscientious.

No heat on natural stone without a trivet anytime. That's the opinion of the Natural Stone Institute and mine.