Software
Houzz Logo Print
evelynbostic

The Pink wall tile in the kitchen

8 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions on how to cover the pink wall tile in the kitchen. It comes up about 4 8 inches from the floor. The cabinets are maple and are in good condition. Counters are green and gold marble from the seventies and they will be replaced. The house was built in the 1920s








Comments (45)

  • 8 years ago

    Do you literally mean cover, or are you willing to put up new drywall? You don't really need all area tiled.

    Are you replacing appliances and sink as well?

  • 8 years ago

    I agree there is so much to cover that drywall is a good option.

    Tin ceiling tiles over smaller areas?

    evelynbostic thanked Kim
  • 8 years ago

    Remove the tile. Don't just cover it up. Then if needed patch or if the wall underneath is to bad to patch, remove the wall and put up drywall.

    evelynbostic thanked functionthenlook
  • 8 years ago

    Do you have some new Formica picked out? The pink tiles need to be chipped off.

    evelynbostic thanked apple_pie_order
  • 8 years ago

    I suggest you remove it and then replace with something else. If that is not an option then I would paint it.

  • 8 years ago

    Am I the only one who loves the pink tile???

    I think with a charcoal or black counter it would look amazing.

    Or a soft white one. This kitchen has similar colours to yours although you would have white on the counters and wood on the cabs, while they have white on the cabs and wood on the counters:

    Musterhaus RONNE GÄRTEN · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    Lindsey, the optimist. : )

    My first thought was that it looked so sweet with the white stove. I just assumed evelynbostic was ready for a change.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow, wouldn't it be fun to keep the tile? You are right, those cabinets are in great shape. I vote for white quartz countertops. I really like the inspiration picture lindsey posted. It would be great to have a unique kitchen in your vintage home!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for all the suggestions. Perhaps when I replace the counter tops it may start to grow on me. I like the idea of white quartz or dark grey since that's one of my favorite colors. What would you replace the beige linoleum floor with?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If you are replacing the formica counters, you will have to deal with the backsplash height left behind between the new counters and the mosaics. I would remove the pink mosaics unless you really love them!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Painting the wall white and swapping out the countertop will work wonders.

    evelynbostic thanked Designer Drains
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think you could have a lot of fun updating the kitchen with the tiles as the inspiration! Agreed with the above comment about the black or white counter tops and perhaps you could consider a grey floor if you are looking to replace the beige.

    [https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-extension-contemporary-kitchen-surrey-phvw-vp~17957606[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-extension-contemporary-kitchen-surrey-phvw-vp~17957606)



  • 8 years ago
    I agree with Lindsey and others - I love the pink tile! How about changing the countertops to something that goes with the pink?

    I know, I know - don’t you hate it when you ask a question and someone answers something you didn’t ask? I love the uniqueness of this kitchen, love the cabinets too.

    Signed,
    Someone hating her boring tract home.....
  • 8 years ago

    I don't always dislike the look of a 4" splash with a tiled splash above it. Sometimes it looks perfectly natural ly to me.

    One option could be to add a row of 4x4 or two rows of 2x2 tile to bridge the gap between the existing tile and the new counter.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm so jealous of the maple cabs and the hardware by the way.

  • 8 years ago

    I don't know...I love the inspiration picture that Lindsey posted, but that is not what your kitchen would look like in the end. If you are getting new countertops anyway, I'd get rid of that tile the right way, and not just cover it up or keep it. I've done a lot of DIY drywall repair, replacement and installation and it's not hard, if you are handy and patient, and would save a lot on cost to do it yourself. Just make sure you do your research and plan for lots of time. I think it would be worth it in the end. To me, that tile evokes memories of my elementary school bathroom and the 1950's era hospital that I spent more than enough time in last year...not a sweet, retro kitchen.

  • 8 years ago

    Evelyn even though I love your tile and would rock it if it were my kitchen, if you don't like it by all means get rid of it now while you're doing other work. My sincere opinion is that fresh paint on the walls, the shiny new counter, and an updated tile floor will make this room pop.

    Are you looking for DIY solutions or will you be paying someone to do the work?


  • 8 years ago

    A 1920's house would have plaster walls, right? Is that why you were interested in covering the tiles rather than removing them?

  • 8 years ago

    You're absolutely right.

  • 8 years ago

    I'll be paying someone to do the work.

  • 8 years ago

    I love the pink tile too

  • 8 years ago
    I would paint the tile white.
  • 8 years ago

    evelynbostic - I used to have the exact same countertop as you and Ash cabinets that i love (still). We removed the countertop and replaced it with white Corian, left the backsplash and I love it. It looks retro but modern at the same time. If you don't hate the backsplash (i personally like the pink) and it is in good shape, I would get a neutral white countertop and a neutral floor and let the pink shine. You will have not end up with a cookie cutter kitchen like everyone else and i think it will rock.

  • 8 years ago
    KEEP THE TILES....they are awesome.
  • 8 years ago

    Embrace the pink retro tile. I love it even though I'm sure I would want to change it if it was in my house. Since I always want to change everything... ;)

  • 8 years ago

    Lindsey, I'm still cracking up over the family that wore pink tinted glasses. Great story.

    Evelyn, are you feeling just when you were tired of your retro kitchen it has come back in style? : )

    Do you like beadboard?

  • 8 years ago

    Kim, I'm not convinced that I can live with the Pink Tile...I'm trying. I did think of bead board but I received negative responses. I really think it could work. Have to find someone with great imagination - like mine.

  • 8 years ago

    Keep your imagination alive! And if it isn't "in style" today, it will be tomorrow. We don't all have tens of thousands of dollars to update our homes with every trend shift, so having an imagination is an asset. Not sure if the negative responses you received were regarding personal taste or construction issues, but it certainly is possible to add beadboard over tile.

  • 8 years ago

    The person that I spoke to was concerned that there would not be enough space between the wall and cabinet to put anything on top of the tiles.

  • 8 years ago

    "The person that I spoke to was concerned that there would not be enough space between the wall and cabinet"

    You don't have to put it between. Just drop the beadboard to the level of the counter and place the 4" splash over top of the beadboard. You'll lose a few inches of counter space. Or you could install the counter with 4"backsplash then butt the beadboard up to the top of the splash line the tile is. If you go with white counters and white beadboard a thin line of caulk should be able to finish the edge unobtrusively. It's unlikely anyone will be inspecting the gap between your wall and counter.

    That would preserve the tile for future homeowners who might love it, too :)

  • 8 years ago

    While the tile is unique and kitschy, is does not blend well with your fabulous cabinets. Remove it and you will have so many better options.

    evelynbostic thanked Kim
  • 8 years ago

    This is the perfect time to get what you want. The pink tile was a popular floor tile in the 1950's. It's not original to a 1920's house. For all we know, it was someone's impulsive weekend project in 1959. Don't spend money to coordinate new decor with things you don't like, especially when they are easy to remove and replace.

    This is also the time to add more electrical outlets near the stove.

  • 8 years ago
    If you dislike the tile then I would suggest you remove it entirely and start fresh. I think any attempt to cover it up will look exactly like that: an attempt. Having said that (and I am not normally a pink fan) but I actually like the tile. It's certainly unique looking and feels cheery to me. As another mentioned, I believe pairing it with black, deep grey or crisp white counters could work really well. Although you would have to change your beige floors to something that works with the counter colour. New appliances and some contemporary cabinet knobs/handles ....you are all set.
  • 8 years ago
    You could really embrace the pink for a retro look.......
  • 8 years ago

    is that navy, loves to decorate? pink and navy is very pretty

  • 8 years ago

    Don't remove the tiles, it's nice. Change the counter top to a white one and declutter. Get some big white papers and cover your counter top, after removing most on it, to get an impression of what it will look like. As others mentioned, its unique.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Count me with those who like the tile. It's subtle, not too pepto bismol-ish, and it looks really good with the cabinets. I would choose a white quartz, Corian or laminate countertop to go with this, depending upon the budget.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm in agreement with apple pie order. The cabinets are from the 50's, as is the tile. They were probably added together as a remodel. The countertops are 70's. I would remove the tiles, re-plaster or drywall the walls, add a solid surface or formica countertop. You don't necessarily need to add a backsplash. Are you planning to extend the countertop over to the stove on the right? That would give you an opportunity to add open shelving or a cabinet with a door to fill in the empty spot. What is the flooring in the rooms surrounding the kitchen?

  • 8 years ago

    If your counter top was done in the 70s, probably the back splash was also done at that time. That pattern of tile was also popular in the 70s. But the pink was mostly used in the bathroom, not the kitchen. I remember the pattern also coming in linoleum and plastic sheets for the wall. I really don't think you really like it. I know I don't. If it was in a bathroom, it would be a different story. When I moved into our present house there was moss green carpet (I don't like green, except money and plants) in good condition in the living and dining room. I thought I might grow to love it and every day I hated it more and more. Needless to say that carpet is history. If your going to change the counters you might as well change the tile.

  • 8 years ago
    I’m sorry but I really believe you must bite the bullet and scrape of the tile. It is too small for the space, dated in colour and style. Yes, you can find a paint to cover ceramic tile but it will always look painted. Tile is relatively inexpensive.
    The tile is also covering far more space than necessary. It is not necessary to have it cover 48” of wall. It’s not a bathroom.
    Dig in and remove it. If you love pink tones there are more fashionable options. You will be glad you did.
  • 8 years ago

    Take it down. Your cabinets only need new hardware and you're getting new countertops. Imagine that with the pink tile. It is time for it to go.

  • 8 years ago

    Katinparadise and apple pie order, thank you and everyone else for your valuable input. I've decided to hold off on the kitchen until I can get what I want. That being said, I'm removing the tile!!!!! and adding drywall, Replacing the countertops, painting walls and adding a classy backsplash. The floors throughout are hardwood and in excellent condition. Not sure what's under the lenoleum, but I think I'm putting tile on the floor. (My kitchen gets a lot of wear and tear)

  • 8 years ago

    Please post an update when you are ready.

  • 8 years ago

    Sounds like a plan. We would definitely love to see updates when you're ready!