Software
Houzz Logo Print
stephen_tsuen

What colour garage door for a dark grey stucco house?

8 years ago

We have the opportunity to choose a garage door colour and trim colour for our new house. The exterior of the house is currently a dark grey stucco which we cannot change. The attached photo shows the neighbour's house where they pained it a different shade of dark grey and i think the whole house looks too dark. Would welcome any suggestions.


Front door colour suggestions would also be welcome. I have read that the front door shouldn't match the garage door colour




Comments (32)

  • 8 years ago

    Lime green.

  • 8 years ago

    Are you able to paint the trim?--because I really think a light color trim would give a nice contrast. That would help lighten up the look of the house. Then you could paint the garage doors black without it looking too dark or blending in with the rest of the house. And I think an orangey-red front door would look great.

    If you aren't able/wanting to paint the trim, I'd go with the same-ish color that's on the awning onto the garage doors. If you don't like the idea of a red door, I think maybe a dark green would look nice, as well.

  • 8 years ago
    This is what we did with our last grey stucco house. I went with the grey garage and a green door. Brightened it up with lighter stone and window trim. Landscaping in front helped too.
  • 8 years ago

    Paint the trim a light color and paint the garage doors the same color as the stucco. Any other color will call attention to the garage doors and that's not what you want

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The photo of your neighbor's house appears to be unified and harmonious. The scheme results in attention to the overall mass and form of the house, which is always a good thing. Contrasting colors for trim, walls and garage doors simply creates visual clutter and highlights doo-dads instead of the house itself.

    Copy your neighbor and have a nice glass of wine for a job well done!

  • 8 years ago

    Not being able to see the color of gray on your home as this is the neighbors home and you color I believe you mentioned is a bit different.

    I do love the home and it's well done given the style of the home. All mentioned above I agree with. I'd go with some great modern and not skimpy lighting at the garage doors to give it a little oomph. Not sure why they selected that little light that doesn't work at all with the home even despite the size!

    Modern 3D house numbers vs. what they have selected would look great as well.

    Image of 3D house numbers and a linear more modern style lighting example. Then you add a little more modern element vs. what they have for numbers as well... place them vertically as they have naturally :)

  • 8 years ago

    Can you post a photo of your home's gray exterior?

  • 8 years ago

    Up/Down lighting would look very nice on this home... light projects both up and down similar to the photo below.


  • 8 years ago

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hunter Orange. It will make giving directions to first time visitors much easier.

  • 8 years ago

    Stephen, would love to see the color of you own home. The stucco on the home in the photo leans slightly brown with very, very dark gray garage doors and trim. It's lovely, yes... yet, if it isn't the color of your home a photo would help. I don't see a lot of wild nor bold colors on this style of home... personally that is.

  • 8 years ago
    The stucco is exactly the same colour as the photo. I called it Grey because it depends on the lighting but it’s a grey brown depending on the lighting? Here’s a different close up photo.
  • 8 years ago
    The shape of my house is slightly different but built by the same builder.

    See the photo below. Thanks for all the comments below!
  • 8 years ago

    Since it's still a work in progress from the photo above it's hard to tell as of yet. It looks a bit less modern than the neighbor's home you posted?

  • 8 years ago

    The close up you just posted has it (computer monitors, please understand they aren't spot on) looks true mid gray. Where as the other leans brown. Although I can't see the roofline of the house of the neighbor it as I said leans a bit more modern than your own????

  • 8 years ago

    Is this a community where there are a handful of elevations for homes and you select your lot and elevation? Is there one finished just as your own if that is the case? Regardless of color that is?

  • 8 years ago
    I think I would agree that the shape is a bit less modern. I have a sloped roof whereas they have a more flat roof. It has to do with the fact that a piece of land has been subdivided from one house into five houses. theirs long but not very wide, whereas mine is more of a square.

    The artist rendering of my house will be like this
  • 8 years ago

    Your home has all white trim that will remain unless you change it, correct?

    That is being the porch area, the garage and fascia?

  • 8 years ago
    That is correct. The trim is currently white and unpainted because that’s how they arrived on site. The builder has indicated that we get to choose the trim colours and door colours.

    If we don’t choose, they will use the same colour combination as in the first picture.

    Because of the permitting time in the city, we don’t get to chose the design of the house. The houses were already submitted to the city for permitting prior to the sale and construction. Since it is Vancouver, a tiny house is quite expensive!
  • 8 years ago

    Ok, thank you for the rendering.

    Given the surrounding home and your home's rendering I'm guessing Pacific NW or close to?

    Do they dictate colors you choose from and are approved or can you do what you wish?


  • 8 years ago

    Got it I posted prior to reading and we crossed.


  • 8 years ago

    Do you prefer to lean more contemporary or semi traditional?

    Do you have the same garage doors as the neighbor with the windows?

    Looks like you could swing Mid century Modern with this if you like. Yet, you don't want it to stand out like a sore thumb in your neighborhood.

    Lastly, is there any other home in the development with this elevations (built just as your own) are they all different?


  • 8 years ago

    I guess the best question for you would be do you prefer some shade of white trim or other do you favor more of what the neighbors home is? I don't agree at all that the front door and garage doors should not match.

    I feel you might go with a very dark front door and very dark garage doors. Probably a bit darker than the neighbors as your home is much wider and it will create some impact. Again, not sure if they are custom, or if there is a home in the area these are being build that we can see the elevation completed......



  • 8 years ago
    The neighbour on the left and right of me have the same elevation and are mirror images of my house design.

    I would like the house to have certain shades since I feel the dark colours in the first house make the house feel like a dark blob.
  • 8 years ago

    and the surrounding homes are not finished to see a photo of the elevation better vs. the construction photo or the rendering?


  • 8 years ago
    Nope, the two neighbours are at a similar stage of construction. It’s only the houses behind mine in the first photo which are complete.

    The two neighbours on the left and right of me have a light stucco theme

    See photo below.
  • 8 years ago

    Yes, but they don't have the same elevation as you. Meaning the same style home as I'm sure you know that I mean by elevation :(


  • 8 years ago

    I'd go with Graphite for the garages and front door. Lean toward something similar to this with some white such as Aesthetic White by Sherwin Williams which is not stark and leans subtly gray in less light. Your window surrounds are darker it appears and not white.

  • 8 years ago

    Realize this home is not the same as your own, but showing you some subtle white tones and not overdone mixed with a Graphite tone which is near to black, but darkest gray.

  • 8 years ago
    For some context, diagonally across the street, a number of houses were built by a different builder
  • 8 years ago

    Yes, similar however those homes look a bit different and even more traditional. I'd add a shade of white to be sure. Not sure the paint brand your builders are using. I can only say "Aesthetic White" is a white, but leans ever so slightly true lightest gray in dim light. It does give some fresh look to the home which I think you like. I do love some white, but not overdone.