Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmb040279

Master Closet HELP

8 years ago

We are remodeling our house and I need to decide on what built ins I want for our small master closet. It is 8x8 but the door Is in an odd place, so I only have 11” on the wall behind the door. I want drawers, double rods for hanging, and a small space for dresses. The closet has 9’ ceilings so I’d like to use the space all the way up to the ceiling if possible.


Any suggestions?? Ty!





Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    You show the door swinging into the closet but in the photo it is swinging out? Are you changing it? You can do much more with the space if it swings out.

  • 8 years ago

    The problem is there is a vanity to the right of the door. When my husband is getting ready in the morning he has to move so I can open the door. It’s a mess!

  • 8 years ago

    Very good suggestion Emily! I am a ballroom dancer so I LOVE having shelves for my shoes!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Shelves on the narrow wall for shoes, and hanging ties and belts and shallow things. perhaps a mirror?

    A mix of high and low hanging rods on the other walls, with short dressers for folded drawer storage.

    Maybe even a wall-mounted ironing board?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Chris M. are you doing the closet yourselves? I hired Calif Closets for mine. while pricey, they are great for figuring every single inch for storage. I would splurge and call in them or a comparable company. it's really worth every dime.

    If you're on a budget, then look at how we did my husbands closet (yes,,that one above is all mine! lol)

    when we dismantled our old one, we had the closet system from Closet World. I couldn't use all of it, so I sold 3/4 of it on Craigslist. This is an option you could utilize too. The pieces we could use, we put in his closet. It is a tad smaller than yours, width-wise.

    I'm standing in the doorway that swings outward. But still, that wall on the left was useless. I hung up some hangers for belts, and a higher shelf/hanger for hats and such.

    I had leftover cedar planks that I used on the wall where he'd hang a few suits and shirts. The corner piece and the other hanging pieces were the leftovers from the old closet. You could do something along the same lines. make sure you leave about 14" from the ceiling so you can do shelving up there. it's great for luggage or bulky comforters. He also got my leftover leopard carpet from my closet!

    Chris M thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you everyone! I was at the house today and the wall is actually 14”. I asked the carpenter if I. Plus have shelves and some drawers in the middle (jewelry, purses, etc.). He nodded but gave me the side eye LOL. Bad idea to have drawers 14” deep?

  • 8 years ago

    14" deep or wide? most drawers are deeper than 14". if you mean side to side. 14 is fine

  • 8 years ago

    I used the closet organizing system with Home Depot to utilize my small closet as much as possible. I made a sketch for how I wanted it to look after searching Pinterest for hours! Then bought a basic kit and purchased additional pieces that I needed to build it. It was super easy to install and I like that as our wardrobe changes (amount of hang vs fold) we can move the pieces around.

  • 8 years ago

    14” deep. I was thinking I’d put inserts in so I could store jewelry. I may need to reconsider.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    i had to go measure my jewelry drawer and it's right at 14"...the actual inside space is about 12", so I think you're good w/that dimension.

    Chris M thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    This is exactly what I want!! Ty!