Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Spring :)

8 years ago

Loving life, loving this weather and loving my roses!

Shailers Provence

Comments (80)

  • 8 years ago

    More purple roses, Alana, which are my favorite color! Unfortunately, there are not many that like my hot, dry conditions, and that's why I enjoy seeing them here.

    FruitCat, what lovely pictures, and MAC looks divine. ZD is not very good in my area, but the fragrance is really wonderful. Love the loud and proud bouquet. You do have a way with words. Please keep posting, and that goes for everyone. I've been in the rose and garden doldrums, but with my garden waking up a little and seeing more and more wonderful pictures here I feel myself perking up!

    Alana8aSC thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Fear not, nothing will stop me from posting photos when those other roses bloom!

    Alana8aSC thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 8 years ago

    Hi, everyone and thank you! Been busy and tired, but I'll be back to answer everyones question and thank individually and all later. But wanted to thank everyone real quick!

  • 8 years ago

    Karen, SW can be divided and easily grown from cuttings. Somehow I manage to keep mine going until I get lazy one year. : (

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago

    I love the shades of pink and fuchsia. I grow dianthus with roses, I like the clove scent and pink shades, both annual and perennial.

    Alana8aSC thanked Krista_5NY
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Alana, the bug on Cardinal de Richelieu looks like a young ladybug larva, so definitely a good friend. They all look a little different. We called them ladybug lions when I was a kid. https://tinyurl.com/y8nwvo76 

    Thank you for visual proof of Spring actually arriving, Alana & FruitCat! Does my heart good to see your beautiful blooms of both roses & companions. :) Sue

  • 8 years ago

    I saw the first rosebuds yesterday on my plants yesterday, so know that they're on their way at last, after that wicked week of cold at the end of winter. Alana, your garden is wonderful! Like others here I love the leaf mulch, and I certainly wish I could find bagged leaves waiting to be picked up from the side of the road. I like your weeds, too! I was thinking about writing a post, "I love weeds". All the spring herbaceous annuals are growing now in my garden, sweet little wild plants, green and fresh, filling the beds with life and busily manufacturing organic matter to enrich the soil afterwards. I'm not talking about thugs like Bermuda grass, of course. It's such a pleasure to see your roses growing so happily and vigorously, and it makes me happy to see someone who loves the once-blooming old roses and fills her garden with them.


    Alana8aSC thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 8 years ago

    The spiderwort will spread. I dont have it near the roses though. I have some on the woodline and some in front of the house. Vaporvac, I thought it was in the Dianthus family, just wasn't sure on the exact name. It apparantly comes back because it wasn't something planted this year. Friotcat, I think that's what happened with mine!

    Ingrid I'm so glad your enjoying the pictures and get to see things that you cant grow. I feel the same when I see your beautiful pictures!

    Thanks so much Krista! I just bought some more to plant. They had a sale at my local feed store and I got all kinds of goodies, not to much, they had what they call flats and you can fill that with plants in the 6 pk for 14 dollars I'll post pics and names when I get home!

    Thanks Melissa! I love weeds too! My husband thinks I'm crazy for likeing dandelion, I think it is and some kind of others that we have come up with white flowers and another has maybe pink. I try to save them when it's time to cut grass, he says, but it's just a weed and I said,"Yes, but it's a pretty weed!" Lol love carefree weeds as long as they dont take over too bad. Also like you I cannot stand Bermuda grass or something we have called crab grass I think. My husband is the opposite and loves grass, but I just see it as another spot to plant more flowers, lol! You know I absolutely love my once bloomers! I'm glad people are starting to grow them again as well. They are truly loved by me. I do have a few repeat bloomers, mostly just to get me by until I see my true loves again in Spring!




  • 8 years ago

    I’m late with my thanks, Alana, but I really appreciate the extra pictures of Excellenz Von Schubert. Not only are those purple blooms exquisite, but the dark green foliage just shines with health and happiness! Your pictures make me want to go hunt one down, but I can’t allow myself! I went so far as to look up EVS’s size on HMF again, and noticed it said, “prune lightly or not at all”. (That little tidbit of information shot my crafty little plan down in a hurry. lol:) It’s just as well, I shouldn’t anyway. What a beauty, though. Actually everything is looking beautiful and happy there. I’m enjoying your colors, and those lovely oncebloomers that I’ll never have. (Sigh) I have some spiderwort as well, but the foliage is golden/chartreuse. It’s a striking backdrop for those royal purple flowers.

    FruitCat, what lovely blooms! Thank you for sharing them. I’m particularly envious of your peony. I wish very much that they would flourish here. MAC is also a fav of mine. I love seeing your blooms all fresh with raindrops! That’s something I’m only vaguely familiar with. I too, hope you’ll post more pictures as those other roses bloom. You’ve gotten us looking forward to it now! I’m especially excited to see Veilchenblau’s first blooms. I’ve always loved it. I do the same thing as well with seeds. I plant some where I want them, and scatter the leftovers everywhere! I’m always finding surprises that I’ve long forgotten the names of. It also makes me hesitant to pull up unfamiliar looking weeds. Sometimes they turn out to be lovely flowers that never germinated in the carefully prepared area, where I planted most of the package. I’ve also lovingly tended to a true weed that had me convinced it was the single seed that germinated of some special and exotic plant. That weed lived the pampered life until I figured it out. Always an adventure! Lol

    I know you’ve all seen about enough pictures of her, but I can’t help myself. My Spring contribution photo is Louise Odier. Perhaps I’ll add more varieties later. Louise Odier is just loaded up with buds, and taking her sweet time about opening them. You’re right, Karen. She’s been a big tease this Spring. Here she is this evening. Lisa


    Alana8aSC thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Gros Choux d'hollande

    iris

    some moreof Rose de Bourgene-spelling is off I apologize!

    Carol's favorite I got from Kelly

    duc de guiche from Kelly

    more of The Bishop

    Goethe

    Another Rotes Meer about to open on a young plant

    first one to open on Grandmothers Hat

    Nathalie High Hills, I thought it was darker, but maybe it darkens later? Who else grows this one? I dont know why I thought it was dark, it's not, lol. I looked it up to freshen my memory. Still beautiful and fragrant :)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Golden Wings about to open

    Ispahan
    another Ispahan, I thought was cute

    Charles Walker Mignonette

    poly I got from Connie

    A peony and my garden kitty buddy :) I named Her cricket because she likes to Chase crickets and eat them while I'm weeding. :)

    EVS

    VDB about to open

    Therese Bugnet

    China who has a long name I cant spell, lol will add in later

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Belle de Crecy about to open

    Ballerina about to do her thing

    Poulen's Pearl about to open
    Lauren about to open

    Orpheline de Juliet about to explode!

    Mountain Mignonette and Gourmet Popcorn

  • 8 years ago

    More spring fashion show! Mme. Alfred Carierre in white, Zephirine Drouhin in bright pink, Therese Bugnet in purple, yellow knock-out in early and late tones (this rose does best here in bright shade, love the aromatic foliage), a little Marie Pavie spray in pink in the middle, with a peony and iris cropped out.

    One Peggy Martin has its sepals pulled back but no show yet. And here's Mme. Plantier make me consider not going to work so I could watch it open but nah, she's just messing with me.




    Alana8aSC thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 8 years ago

    Wooooooow!!! You guys I am so jealous. Everything is looking amazing. I'm trying to pick a favorite... maybe Variegata di Bologna? I do love a spotty, stripey rose. Up here the snow from the last blizzard is slowly receding, daffodil and tulip tips are starting to pop up. I hope to be able to post my own spring flower show in a few weeks.

    Alana8aSC thanked Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here we go! This is my cheater, cheater pumpkin eater Spring picture!

    Olivia Rose Austin’s first bloom. The LEDs are giving it a purplish cast it doesn’t actually have.

    Munstead Wood’s second bloom indoors. A very intense magenta.

    Alana8aSC thanked Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
  • 8 years ago

    Karen, loved your cheater, cheater pumpkin eater roses,lol

  • 8 years ago

    canary island

    green ice

    got this in a trade as cardinal de Richuliu, we were suppose to trade something else, but I cant remember what it was and they ended up not having it. Dont know what it is, it's not the cardinal, but it's pretty just the same. I didnt need another cardinal, but wonder what it is...and hope my other stuff turns out right.
    Lauren

    leda

    pink soupert

    clymestria I think
    Mountain Mignonette and gourmet popcorn

    belle de crecy open

    Granny grimmets




  • 8 years ago

    rush family gallica

    VDB

  • 8 years ago

    All my favorites, Alana. Someday! : )

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago

    I am falling in love with Mountain Mignonette. I do love my teas, chinas, gallicas, and big fluffy double Austins, but MM would be perfect next to my 4 (Kim R's) Laurens.

    Alana8aSC thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • 8 years ago

    I only realized at the end that the whole time I was looking at this beautiful parade of roses that I was smiling the whole time. What a wonderful gift to see all these beautiful roses while mine are still in the process of waking up.

    Alana8aSC thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I just realized I have ccpeater pics myself. Many of the bushes I overwintered in my glass vestibule are putting out buds to chase away the winter blues. It's like overnight they said, "Let's just do it!" : ) Setina is my favorite with her little buds lining her delicate canes like candles on a Xmas tree. Does anyone else here grow her?

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Mme. Plantier! Peggy Martin & Veilchenblau still have me on tenterhooks.

    I love that green eye peeping out!

    Alana8aSC thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 8 years ago

    John HCR is where I got, this is her first year being this big. Shes finally matured! ;)

    Thank you so much Ingrid! The feelings mutual, I cant gros a lot of what you grow, they like it hot and dry. My weather's just plain crazy, so what Rose's can deal with it, Ifruit at. My teas and chinas and moderns are a lot further behind these.

    Vaporvac, lucky you! Fixing to blooms be sure to post them like fruitcat.

    Fruitcat I love your Mme. Painter! Mine is still slowly growing in a pot. Thanks so much for the beautiful picture!

  • 8 years ago

    It's rose jelly day. Zephy D was looking so pretty that I didn't want to strip all the blooms off her right away so I let some go too long, but it's OK. They are most fragrant as they open up on a cool day. I also grabbed 3 knockouts just for color comparison; there's a red, a pink and a yellow in a row. The pink is very similar to Zeph D in color but of course, lacks the amazing scent and petal-ness. I just need to give in and replace the red/pink knockouts with a Zeph D's.

    Zeph D set 100+ blooms, the foliage already looks crappy but who notices that now with all those flowers?! You gotta give it to a plant that spends so much time replacing leaves but still can throw so many blooms.



    Alana8aSC thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    another colors and princess diana, the kitty

    ODJ, MM AND
    GP
    Here's a light pink spiderwort. This one ain't as vigorous a the darker color.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    rose du roi and pink soupert

    lilian Austin

    rose seedlings separated some yesterday and potted them up. I think I messed up a few, but we will see.

    poulsens pearl and ballerina

    A pretty rose I got from Linda who's name escapes me ATM.

    blush noisette

    munstead wood

    hybrid setegri ( spelling?) Who's names not coming to mind..I'll look it up and repost in a bit , yay, just remembered it name. Souv. De brod, just couldnt think of it earlier. And I didnt have to look it up, so go me! Lol

    grandmother's hat

    hippolyte

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    belle de crecy up top is Cleopatra and cricket, the kittys

    gros choux d'hollande

    veilchenblu about to explode

    HDB

    reine des violettes

  • 8 years ago


    white pearl in red dragon mouth

    mutibilis

    Perle d'or


    summer damask

    apothecary rose

    dr huey ;)

    granny grimmets

    Russels cottage

    Gerber daisies and various other perennial I got from the feed store I have to plant out

    feel freeto help out with a id, not cardinal de Richuliu or belle de crecy. I got it in a trade. I sent a email, as to who was near cardinal de Richuliu cause it wasn't him, and I sent a picture and they said belle de crecy, but doesn't look like my belle de crecy, so right now a no id. these are its first ever blooms though and they could change. There is a front facing bloom in one of the post up top. I do like whatever it is..it does remind me alittle of rush family gallica..except this has more pink tones and less blueing so far..a beauty whatever it may be.



  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Alana, your garden is definitely coming into its own! We all need some of these once bloomers to chase winter away! There just seem to have too many others on my growing list! : ( The white tradescant is particularly lovely. I have a wonderful shaded spot in front of a brick wall I was going to put some of the blue variety, but now I'll have to look for source for the white. They must be so pretty peeking out in the shade. The plan is to plant them with Mirabilis, another pm bloomer that will open much earlier in heavier shade.

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes, its FINALLY getting there vaporvac! It has took a while, but is really getting better every year. Its actually light pink, not white on the spiderwort, But it's really pretty and not as strong of a grower as the other two darker colors that I have, so I moved it away from the darker ones before it got took over the year before last.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Looks like garden will be done for a while. We are having some rain, but with more wind than I have recieved ever. I didnt get this much with the hurricanes. Usually my trees block any wind we get off storms, but not this one. Most of my Rose's are laying down. Hopefully they will perk up when this is over, but I have never been through this, so not sure. Has anyone else dealt with this? Do you just trim them after? Or do they perk back up?

  • 8 years ago

    Alana, they should perk up on their own. We got lots of rain last night too and anything with a lot of leaves and bendy stems is looking flat unless it's tied to supports. Everything's sopping wet and weighed down. My little green ice is flat on the ground like someone pushed her! If she doesn't straighten up I'll add a bamboo support for a couple days then it should be fine.

    Alana8aSC thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 8 years ago

    Alana- I'm sorry to hear about the winds coming through your beautiful garden!!

    Generally, if we get straight line winds up here, (actually pretty common here in Minnesota, more so then tornadoes, although the damage often looks the same) I give everything a day to see what pops up on it's own. Most of the shrubs will be fine, a few of the perennials may be candidates for bringing inside in vases. Trim any damage, if things aren't damaged but are still leaning, a few days of gentle staking usually helps get them back to normal. Hopefully everything springs back for you!

    Alana8aSC thanked Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks guys! I'll see what tomorrow brings! :)

  • 8 years ago

    They are saying we got 4.16" rain yesterday, no wonder everything's flat.

    But then again, there's this (cue in "Purple Rain")

    Alana8aSC thanked FruitCat (GA 7b)
  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful iris fruitcat!

    Thanks comtesse! Glad to see you back and glad you enjoyed them!

    Everything seemed to be standing up well this morning when I left so yay!


  • 8 years ago

    Alana, your and everyone's roses are looking wonderful.

    I still have a solid month to go before I see roses.

    FruitCat, that Iris is mesmerizing. Wowsers!

    Steven

    Alana8aSC thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
  • 8 years ago

    How is it that I always forget the delightful scent of irises? The purple one is so sweet, reminds me very much of the scent of violets (without really being violet-scented... maybe my brain takes the color and makes up a connection??).

    This is "Savannah:, an orange iris, strikes me as a little fruitier or more citrusy.

    Peggy Martin's offered one a couple buds, can't wait for the full flush, aargh!

    Veilchenblau has the sweetest purple buds! (Apparently she and Peggy signed a pact to flush together).

    I've always thought white roses where very very blah, until Madame Plantier. Last night I went outside and there she was, with some Sweet William and some onion blooms, all glowing in the moonlight. I finally get the moonlight garden thing. Here's a back-lit shot this morning, like she needed special lighting.

  • 8 years ago

    Christopher, you'll have to go up but got side and front blooms

  • 8 years ago

    What a great thread!!

    Alana, I was away from the forum for awhile this spring (dealing with special ed issues for my daughter) and am just catching up with everyone. Your rose collection is incredible!! I'm planning to sit down tonight to do a slow scroll through all the images on this thread. It's so nice to be back in touch with you! Carol

    Alana8aSC thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Carol, it's been great reading your voice again too! I've been busy lately dealing with car issues, searching for a new used one, and just life. Hope everything is going well with your daughter. I hope you enjoy them. This isnt near all of them, but I tried. Take care!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm wishing you oodles of good luck for your car hunting, Alana! I'm sending thoughts for a bargain price, low miles, all the features you require and AIR CONDITIONING! :-) We picked up a second hand Subaru on Craig's List a number of years ago, but discovering it required continuous hovering and a quick offer. As if we have time in our days for sitting like vultures at our computer, right? :-). Carol

  • 8 years ago

    I wish you the same!

  • 8 years ago

    It took me a straight 2 weeks, and a week of checking them out, or something like that. But I found me another one. But I just got a splinter under my nail today , and it broke off with half still under my nail. Guess it hospital tomorrow. Take care yall!

  • 8 years ago

    Really, universe?! Take care, Alana! Carol

  • 7 years ago

    My three gallicas look similar

    Duc De Guiche has a little wider leave with a bit more blue than other two

    Alana8aSC thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks! How does their bloom compare? Post pictures when they bloom please!


    How did mine look to you?

  • 7 years ago

    The blooms do look similar to me... I can always send more cuttings too....

    Alana8aSC thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • 7 years ago

    Who do you think it is I got, just Carol? Would love cuttings of whom I didn't get.